Miyamoto Having a Ball Working on Pikmin 3

Posted by James Newton

Now how about showing us?

Shigeru Miyamoto has been working on Pikmin 3 for years — we first heard of it nearly three years ago — but so far we've yet to see a single snifter of a teaser of a screenshot. Having worked so long on something so secretive, is Miyamoto in danger of losing his passion for Pikmin? Not on your Bulborb.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly (via ONM), Miyamoto talked a little about Olimar's next generation adventure:

Originally, I was making Pikmin 3 to be launched on the Wii platform. Because the Wii U is capable of HD quality pictures, and will be accompanied by the subscreen on your hand. I thought that I would be able to make a Pikmin that was closer to my ideal. I am now actually enjoying myself, working on the game.

As we've said for the past three years, we expect to see Pikmin 3 at E3 in June. It's got to be true one of these times, surely.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

Masterjoe116

Masterjoe116 said:

I Can't Wait! ^_^
I love the first Pikmin game. For some reason the 2nd one was really difficult for me so I never spent much time with it when it launched and now I can't find it anywhere to try to play through it! But the first one was just magical to me. Such a fresh, new concept for gameplay, having little minions go and collect parts of your ship to make your way back home. It blows my mind to think about what Miyamoto could be cooking up for Pikmin 3's gameplay with the Wii U controller 8)

ueI

ueI said:

I love that image of Miyamoto you guys keep recycling. Hopefully we get Pikmin 3 soon.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I need to get on Pikmin 2 pronto! The original was mighty fantastic....Yet it's too bad I have to go with the tradionally controlled 'GCN' version since Pikmin 2 NPC will never see the light of day.

Also, one of the biggest things visually aside from HD NextGeni-ified Nintendo graphics would be for pikmin 3 to run at 60fps.
I found it odd for such a visually simplistic title such as Pikmin to be locked in at 30fps. I'm guessing Pikmin 2 runs at 30 as well?

And speaking of Pikmin 2, why does the NA release have 2 different Covers?
Untitled
Untitled

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I wonder what new color Pikmin we might see. Considering the end cutscene of Pikmin with all the other colored onions (i.e. black, green, orange, purple, ect.), I'd imagine there will be more.

TwilightPoint

TwilightPoint said:

I've only played the first Pikmin briefly and loved it :)
I should probably play both of them soon, hopefully they'll release them on the 3DS :)

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

I just had to write up this article for another gaming site myself. It really made me wonder if we're going to see anything spectacular, given Shiggy's obvious enthusiasm. Pretty sure the colourful environment of Pikmin'll be brought to life with the Wii U's graphics. :D

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

pikmin 3 should have been on the wii years ago with pikmin 4 on the wii U

eh, ill forgive him when i actually get it, or hear solid information about the pikmin 3 release date

Samholy

Samholy said:

bring it on 3DS too. so we can complimentary play on both system, like they intend to do with smash bros U.
they should do this with every titles anyway.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

I'm glad they saved it for the WiiU. Hopefully it'll be one of the launch titles. I think Pikmin is one of those Nintendo franchises that would really benefit from going HD with all the details and realistic graphic approach (on the vegetation etc.).

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

When Miyamoto's having fun doing something, you should know that there's going to be charm involved. Even though I didn't get into the first one, I'm interested to see what Pikmin 3 will look like in HD. It'll be nothing short of beautiful.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I guess they're saving as much new game info as possible for E3 to make whatever Sony and Microsoft reveal looks insignificant. At the same time I'm sure Sony and Microsoft are waiting on the reveal of the Wii U to make sure they can trump it with hardware.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

Considering Pikmin always had a realistic look to the graphics, HD is only going to compliment it. :)

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

I got Pikmin NPC for Christmas. I want to hack my Wii and buy Pikmin 2 NPC from Europe. Nintendo should release Pikmin 2 in the US to generate excitement for 3. Give me Pikmin 2 OR PIKMIN TRILOGY Wii U! I love these games (except for that ugly time limit). I bought an HDTV for Wii U.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I will take a solitary teaser image at this point, Nintendo. Just show us something this year!

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@Swiket

Yikes! And he's staring right at me! :o
Anyways, the top BoxArt wins automatically due to the crazy Lobster. ;)

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I'm not sure we'll see this at E3. What we will see is Shiggy's new baby called Pokémom though.
Once the system-software bundle's mentioned every PS360 fanboy will order a dozen of WiiU's for himself and all of the people he knows and also burn all his non-Ninty consoles and software.

Can't wait for Pikmin 3. Should at least become a worthy successor to two of best GC games ever and build on their mind-blowing graphics as well.

brenwizard

brenwizard said:

i sure hope we see at least a trailer of Pikmin 3 at e3 this year, i have been waiting for pikmin 3 ever since i beat pikmin 2

phoenix1818

phoenix1818 said:

I trust Miyamoto that this game will be worth the wait. If it is a launch title, then that may have just solidified my Wii U purchase.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Only Nintendo can work on a game for 3 years and not have any information get out. Normally I'ld say so little info means it will be a long time before we see this, but Nintendo has a good track record the last few years of surprising me with new titles at E3, so hopefully finally this years E3. It's really the only thing I'm looking forward to on the WiiU right now.

BeatOli

BeatOli said:

My wait is nearly over. At E3 this year, I am so sure that we will see Pikmin 3 that I will eat my left shoe if we don't. If this is a launch title....well I'm going to have to start saving for the Wii U.

nfzeta007

nfzeta007 said:

It just seems like Nintendo is seriously holding back while crossing all their 't's and dotting all their 'i's to give us a big surprise at E3 i mean there are supposed to be 70 games already in development for the Wii U 70, i don't usually keep track but i believe that's a high number

Mryokokurama1

Mryokokurama1 said:

Wow not even one gameplay or trailer or anything im starting to worry the miyamato is not really making this i hope he didnt give up on it.