Capcom Tight-Lipped About Resident Evil 6 Wii U

Posted by James Newton

It's oh so quiet

Resident Evil 6 is one of the biggest games heading to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 just before Christmas, but with Wii U due around the same time will Capcom consider bringing the title across to Nintendo's own HD console?

Capcom senior vice-president Christian Svensson was asked just that in a Capcom Unity forum thread, though his response was a little on the brief side:

We've made no announcements to this end at this point. I can't say more than that right now.

Good answer: not a flat no, not an outright yes and just enough to give us hope that Leon, Chris and co. might join Wii U in the future.

[via capcom-unity.com]

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

I've no interest in this since I've watched the trailer.
But I hope it does get a Wii U release for the people who want it. :)

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

It be funny if they surprised us by showing it at E3 but stopped the footage halfway in letting us now that what we saw was ps360 and then showed us the wii u version, just to drive home the power difference. I can't think of a better game to do it.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I'm not a big fan of Resident Evil, but if this was a Wii U launch title it would really help the Wii U in the long run.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I want them to use the tablet like a mirror and you can see enemies coming up from behind you! Companies really need to think of many different ways to incorporate this device!

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I wouldn't want to use the Wii U Controller with this that's for sure. Give me the Wii remote + Nunchuck please 'RE4: Wii Edition style' and then I'll be happy.

SPEtheridge

SPEtheridge said:

Here's hoping it does, would be a great game to have aroung the launch, some exclusive features wouldn't hurt either.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

While in general i wouldn't mind controlling it with the "UPad" i'd love to swing the Nunchuk for knife attacks.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@King_Boo

That's impossible. Never mind the fact that the game is two years in development and the Wii-U dev kits have only been out for around 6 months, But to expect the Launch titles of a console early in its life cycle to look better than games on comparable hardware who have mature devlopment communites is naive,

I could see something like Pikmin 3 or a first party game getting close.

siavm

siavm said:

I don't care if it does or not. If it comes and I get a wii u this year I might get it. Or I will get it for 360/ps3. No matter what I am getting it.

Ryno

Ryno said:

This is Capcom, of course it is coming to every season known to man!

Mars

Mars said:

The Wii U will launch around the same time as RE6. Forget the speculation, this is inevitable. It'll probably be confirmed at E3.The Wii U' s touch screen could be used in meaningful ways for RE6 (inventory management, different camera angles etc).

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Love the Resi series, and I can't wait for number 6 (or 9, if you wanna get all technical...). This is a hell of a year for the franchise, with part 6, Revelations, Operation Racoon City, and two films...us Capcom horror fans are being spoilt!

If Resident Evil 6 does come to Wii U, I'd like to see no. 5 included, seeing as it's the only main entry not yet experienced by Nintendo fans.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Hopefully they announce at E3 that this will be a Wii U launch title, it would make sense for both sides.

Nintenderp

Nintenderp said:

shingi_70 is right. Even if they somehow managed to get RE6 on the WiiU, I doubt Capcom would be able to implement the tablet well, considering the 2 year development of the game.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

My body is so ready for the Wii U! I see no real reason why it shouldn't be a beast unless Nintendo does something wrong with it.

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

@Tech101 that's actually a pretty brilliant idea.
I hope this does come to the Wii U because as others have said, it would definitely help the system in the long run. the more big 3rd party 'hardcore' titles on the system, the better!
If nothing else, they just port the 360 version (devs have said the wii u is similar to develop for to the 360) and simply use the extra screen as inventory or something basic.
But personally, I was never a big RE fan.
Or if Capcom really wanted to put a lot of effort into it, they could have two control set ups.
The first being a direct port of the 360 with the controls mapped onto the facebuttons of the wii u tablet, and the second being motion plus controls akin to what we saw in the rerelease of RE4 on Wii.
on a side note...i hope all new Wii U games that decide to use motion control are required to be MotionPlus. To go to anything less than that now would be a step backward and can be especially felt due to the Kinect and Move.

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

Capcom, I bought Resident Evil: Revelations, and you canceled Mega Man Legends 3, so you' better make it up to us by porting RE:6 to the Wii U, and releasing a finished Prototype Version of MML3 just to show us what we missed.
EDIT: (Of course, Capcom probably won't see this),

HouseofBees

HouseofBees said:

I'd be extremely surprised if it was a yes.

The time of Resi's exclusives deal with Nintendo was short-lived and very much in the past, at least on console; Resident Evil (the remake) is unfairly lambasted as being dated, and 4 was hauled onto other consoles not too long after its release.

Obviously, Capcom won't want to cause a backlash before the console is actually released, but I'm not optimistic about this. The lack of third-party support for the Wii was its downfall, and there's no excuse for it this time around.

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

Knowing Capcom I wouldn't be surprised if they released a version of RE6 for the Wii U (or however it is known as by launch date) and more than likely somewhere down the road, some re-launch of RE5.

Nintendoro

Nintendoro said:

Hopefully Resi 6 will come to Wii U. I cannot imagine why shouldn't it. Resident Evil titles and Nintendo have been close together since N64, except resi 5 and probably "raccoon city stories". Hope to see resi 5, 6 on Wii U...