We Wish These Mario 3DS Consoles Weren't Japan Only

Posted by James Newton

Too cool for words

It's a complaint we've heard countless times over the years: "Japan gets all the cool stuff." It's not always true of course — just look at StarTropics — but these limited edition Mario-themed 3DS consoles are definitely some of the coolest things we've seen.

The Mario, Peach and Super Mushroom machines are special giveaways on Club Nintendo in Japan. Anyone who registers two 3DS games between 1st October and 15th January is eligible for one of the consoles, with only 1,000 units of each design being manufactured.

Whether you get a console or not, you'll definitely get a free copy of 3D Classics: Kid Icarus just for registering two 3DS retail games. After the campaign is over, the game will be released as a download in the 3DS eShop for regular customers to buy.

Given the choice, which of the three consoles would you plump for?

[via andriasang.com]

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Wait, you have to register two games to get the systems? That doesn't make sense...

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Dang, those would be something awesome to have in your collection. And hopefully we'll get that Kid Icarus offer over here too.

JayArr

JayArr said:

Those are too awesome! O: I wish Nintendo of America would do stuff like this.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Don't like the looks of any of them but if forced to choose because someone held a gun to my head I would select the rather peculiar red and white polka dot one.

NinjaMario

NinjaMario said:

THAT IS CRAZY STUFF!!! Basically you buy super Mario 3D land, and mariokart 7, and boom, you've got yourself another 3DS? Yay!!! Wait... Only japan??? ... Crap.

Squid

Squid said:

I'd get the Piranha Plant design if anything, but I absolutely HATE polka dots. But it's either that, pants or a dress. Doesn't really fit my interest. Now, give me a one with Bloopers, Boos, or Shy Guys on it and you've got a deal.

Squid

Squid said:

PS: I already registered LoZ: OoT 3D and Starfox 64: 3D, so if the offer came to NA would I get it?
>:?

Shworange

Shworange said:

@8
Again, with the purchase of two games your ENTERED into a DRAWING to win one of 3 thousand systems.

@9
Im considering making my own by uploading a design to gelaskins.com. They'll make whatever you want and it fits your 3DS like a glove.

killer6370

killer6370 said:

this are not new consoles (anybody watched the show on the stream?) its just a skin that can be obtained through club nintendo japan so theres a chance we can get it in europe too(we get a lot of stuff from japan like the snes classic controller

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

Honestly, the Peach design looks the best-- but too girly for me.

Also, is the free Kid Icarus deal coming stateside?

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

I NEED THAT MUSHROOM HANDHELD !!!

nintendo should make consoles always look like that :)

Ryno

Ryno said:

@James: Good job in throwing in some love for StarTropics! Between this and one of your previous Double Dragon II comments, I am now going to have to read your articles at least twice to find those hidden retro comments you like to mix in there :)

Milkman-123

Milkman-123 said:

i'd pick the toad one. but its a shame americans cant get the free kid icarus game ): would've been awesome.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

The consoles aren't really that great looking. They look like they are missing something. I'd get the top one if I had too.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'd pick the Mushroom one. Japan always did get the best rewards on their Club Nintendo, if the soundtracks and Link statue were any indication.

Ren

Ren said:

These are awesome. I'd go for either of the two mario ones, (not into pink, myself).
@12 how could they just be skins if the colors completely cover the shoulder buttons on the pics, too? they look like consoles to me. Though skins would make sense as well.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Those are definitely skins,the pants are on a Red 3DS , The dress on the pink and the shroom on a white 3DS. Pretty cool but an actual 3DS painted this way would be far better.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

Would be cooler if we just got the free Kid Icarus game for registering 2 games. I would be happy with that.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Even if we don't get that cool special, at least let us have the 3D Classics Kid Icarus

Henmii

Henmii said:

Cool stuff! And not fair: Register 2 3DS games, and get the 3DS for free!!!

Wish they would do this here!!

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I don't particularly care for the Mario or Peach designs, but I really like the mushroom one.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Not really a fan of any of those to be honest, they look too bland. I'd rather have a Yoshi one!

pntjr

pntjr said:

I'd love a gold 3DS with a picture of Mario's head embedded into the front...

Nintendo64Boy

Nintendo64Boy said:

I would rather have Zelda, (25th anniversary) but this is okay. COME OUT IN AMERICA. Unlike all the good stuff. :P

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

@SMEXIZELDAMAN
No, in Japan you can buy things from the Stars catalogue, as long as you register games, etc. It's a much better system than what we get in the US or Europe.

Sonic1994CD

Sonic1994CD said:

1000 coins each, that's petty cheap just think, what If you don't own one.
The US will have its day.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

@luigi178 & @killer6370
they are not skins. they are consoles. every article about it says that they are limited edition consoles. and i'm sure these people checked their facts before posting stuff like this. you are only entered into a draw to win them. if it was just a skin they wouldn't do that. if it was a skin they would make sure that everyone can get one with club points.

Samholy

Samholy said:

how much will these sell on ebay?
how many winners will sell these limited things ?

HADAA

HADAA said:

@mumof2kids82 I think they knew that, but they meant those are consoles with Mario skins slapped on them, instead of new case coatings.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Because it is written: "The Land of the Rising Sun shall always get the best stuff." B-)

It's a universal truth. No exceptions... :P

PS - I totally dig the blue/red console with Mariio's overalls. :D

KirbysTheBest

KirbysTheBest said:

AWESOME!! I WANT THE MARIO CASE NOW!!!! BY THE WAY ANYONE WHO HAS A 3DS, ADD ME MY FRIEND CODE IS 4382-2201-4349 :) ILL ADD YOU RIGHT AWAY.