Capcom's 3DS Adventure Game Sounds Very Different

Posted by Trevor Chan

3D visuals? How about 3D sound?

Who needs buttons when you have sound? That's the approach that Capcom is taking with regards to its upcoming adventure game for the 3DS.

As detailed in the latest issue of Famitsu and translated by AndriaSang, Nazo Waku Yakata (Nazo Waku Mansion) is a game that has been loosely termed as a "sound adventure" because of its unique control scheme that omits the use of buttons. As players explore the mansion and its plentiful rooms which are occupied by strange residents, gamers will be able to speak into the 3DS's mic and see the in-game characters react in different ways.

The top screen will show what's happening in the game and the bottom touchscreen will house icons which can be used to investigate the rooms. Rooms can also be inspected over by using the 3DS's gyroscopic controls as players tilt and rotate the system to alter their viewpoint. The following are a few examples of locations players might come across and the tasks they'll be required to handle:

• Massage Room: where you touch a girl who's wearing a bathing suit.
  • Fire Place Room: where you light a fireplace.
  • Insect Room: a hornet (or possibly the sound from a hornet) will suddenly enter your ear.
  • Fireworks Room: where you attempt to hold the system as steady as possible to keep the fireworks from lighting up.

With the majority of 3DS games focusing on providing players with a stimulating 3D visual experience, Nazo Waku Yakata will rely on audio technology, more specifically, Otophonics technology to provide 360 degree sound. A special Otophonics technician assisted the development team with the game's recording process.

Director Minoru Nakai spoke about how in-game occurrences will utilise this 3D use of sound, such as insects flying into the ear, being wrapped up in tape, and the sound of a maid blowing into the player's ear. Nakai suggests playing the game in a quiet room wearing headphones, even cheap ones will be able to carry the sound effects. Incidentally, the game's characters have been designed by Tadahiro Uesugi, who served as concept artist for the 2009 animation film Coraline.

Not necessarily action-packed, the game is designed to allow players to experience horror, suspense, and even a dose of comedy. Although the residents of the mansion might appear a bit odd, they're not bad people. Many rooms will provide short and sharp experiences, lasting from 3-5 minutes with the longer rooms stretching between 7-8 minutes. Once a room has been cleared, players will move on to the next.

Development is currently around the 60% mark and a Japanese release is scheduled for this summer.

[via andriasang.com]

Pogocoop

Pogocoop said:

"Massage Room: where you touch a girl who's wearing a bathing suit." 0_0

But on topic, I've tryed 3D sound before, With a CD that plays beach sounds, It makes you feel like waves are going through your head. Also with a fly, But that wasn't nearly as relaxing.

Monix2598

Monix2598 said:

Sounds Interesting. I am a huge fan of horror/suspense games and movies so when I hear more info I may get this whenever I get the 3DS.

pikku

pikku said:

This sounds ike a game that I would enjoy honestly. I hope it's coming westward. :'(

HanChan

HanChan said:

Sounds.... interesting to say the least. We will just have to wait for more info on it...

Tails

Tails said:

Massage Room: "where you touch a girl who's wearing a bathing suit." Count me in. :D

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@1: Thanks for posting that! It was amazingly cool. I think now I understand this "3D Sound" concept. Really looking forward to this game now! I hope this type of thing catches on. imagine combining the 3D sound concept with the ability to move the 3DS around and look completely around a room in a horror game and having the placement of the sounds change in relation to where the game calculates you're standing in the room. I could see some very scary stuff coming out of this! I think Aksys needs to remake the game 999 on 3DS with complete animation, voice acting, and 3D sound. That would be AMAZING!!!! Oh, and its made by Capcom so you know it will be awesome!

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Wow this sounds really interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this now.
I just hope it comes out in the States.
"Message Room: where you touch a girl wearing a bathing suite"
"the sound of a maid blowing into the player's ears."
I'm guessing there's a 51-49% chance it won't.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Interesting!...But the first problem arises by losing the 3D effect when using Gyro tilt controls, it's a damn shame the 3DS has to have a sweet spot. Hopefully with the 3DS Lite(whatever it will be called) will get improved screens with much better 3D viewing angles.

Monsti

Monsti said:

Since this is capcom I have hopes it's not just a cool concept, but also a cool game.

moosa

moosa said:

Wow this sounds.... bizarre! It got me a little excited after reading that depressing "3DS has no original games" bit just a minute ago. I'm a bit of an audio geek myself, so I LOVE to hear that a developer is putting so much focus on sound, and I've always been a fan of 3D sound. I will say though that I can't help but get the impression that this game might rely too much on the novelty aspect and not enough on creating a fleshed-out experience. Here's hoping though!

Nintendude92

Nintendude92 said:

Sounds like Papa sangre on the appstore.. that game is played completely with 3D sound using a pair of headphones. The only visuals were controls.

..However,
"being wrapped up in tape, and the sound of a maid blowing into the player's ear."

^Sounds more interesting than the howling, snarling creatures that creep by you in papa sangre.

This 360 degree thing has been done a few times already and it works really well, but you still need visuals. Papa sangre felt very limited with out it.

NIN10DOXD

NIN10DOXD said:

"Massage Room: where you touch a girl who's wearing a bathing suit"
Heck yeah! Im definitly buying this game! Touching girls in bathing suits makes me happy! :)

Kingbuilder

Kingbuilder said:

Papa Sangre uses 3D Sound as well. Can't wait to see if this can match the greatness of that game.