Ni No Kuni Trailer Shows Stunning Animation Chops

Posted by James Newton

Dream collaboration looking fantastic

Since we reported that Ni No Kuni is coming to North America we've kept an eagle eye on the team-up between legendary animators Studio Ghibli and Professor Layton powerhouse Level-5. Now Tokyo Game Show has given us a new animated trailer to gawp at, and gawp we must.

There's no in-game footage shown, but there is a giant cat wearing a crown, so that should balance things out nicely.

Ni No Kuni is out in Japan in December, with a North American release to follow next year.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I liked Studio Ghibi's Ponyo, and the animation looks pretty much the same: superb :)

Punny

Punny said:

Looks like Dragon Quest IX and Spirited Away combined. I think I'm going to like this. :)

It also looks some what like a tear-jerker. :'(

Hokori

Hokori said:

MAN! DS's Graphic are awful! But seriously this game looks Great, the trailer reminded me of the KH 358/2 days Trailer, well near the end

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This looks awesome and those graphics are stunning for the ds but some of the characters look really wierd.

accc

accc said:

Stunning artwork as always but the ingame graphics look pretty weak. I'd much rather play the PS3 version if it comes out in the US.

Zach

Zach said:

You can always count on a Studio Ghibli production to have some incredible music.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

Ni no kuni-what does that mean? all i can understand is _____'s country and the title is wrong up on top of the page.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

I don't even like RPG games very much, but I'm a sucker for Studio Ghibli, Level 5, and 2D Animation.

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

Nice! I'm really happy to see they have Joe Hisaishi in on this, too. I have every one of Studio Ghilbi's films, and they're all fantastic.

SullKid

SullKid said:

I just bought PS3 for this. Really no other way to explain my excitement.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Well, that is the best 2d animation you will see on the DS. The in-game graphics look so-so, but good for the platform. I'm getting this, but I'm hoping for a port to the 3DS! The PS3 graphics look AWESOME, but I think the DS gameplay will be better, maybe because of the touchscreen. So a 3DS port could be a great combination of both! xD Only the gameplay being in 3D, of course! :P

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

This looks good and all, but I'm much more interested in the 2D Earthbound-esque graphics than this. Of course that was download only in Japan, and I doubt we'll see that version here, especially because it probably wouldn't sell too well because it's not 3D.

Hell I remember when SSBB first game out, and in a Gamestop, some mom was complaining when she saw gameplay of New Pork City "those graphics don't look very 3D!" then she looked back at me like she was trying to gain support for her absurd comment to which I offered no reply. So that's the exact sentiment from casuals I hear, and which I despise, because they completely ignore any other art style, which is why we won't get the original version of this game and instead now this 3D (albeit very cool) version. People are still way too concerned with the appearance of something as they have been for 20 years. :(

Rasche

Rasche said:

I've never heard of this before but I checked out tons of videos and it looks AMAZING.