Metroid 64 Was This Close to Existing

Posted by James Newton

Not that close, actually

There was no Metroid game on Nintendo 64, Samus Aran skipping the console altogether save for a cameo appearance in Super Smash Bros. Series creator Yoshio Sakamoto has revealed in an interview with UK magazine GamesTM that the heroine's history could have been very different, as Nintendo approached a third-party to develop an Aran adventure, but the developer declined.

Sakamoto himself stated he didn't want to develop a Metroid game for the machine as he couldn't understand how Samus would be controlled using the N64's now-iconic controller. Nintendo then offered an unnamed company the chance to bring Samus to the machine, which was turned down as the studio believed it couldn't top seminal SNES shooter Super Metroid. Regrettably Sakamoto did not state who the company was, creating yet another Nintendo mystery.

[via gamestm.co.uk]

Bensei

Bensei said:

I would have taken the chance if I were them. Even if they utterly failed, they would have been engraved into history.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Well, Gunpei Yokoi died in 1997, so without a big mastermind, they were trying to find a proper way to integrate Metroid in 3D.

That's what Retro Gamer UK told me, anyways...

Kevin

Kevin said:

They missed out on a great opportunity by not making a Metroid for the N64. Still can't believe its the only major console without a Metroid game.

Machu

Machu said:

I would absolutely love to know that "unnamed company"!

Shame, could have been awesome. I imagine 3rd-person goodness, like SM64 and OoT. It would have added to the history. Oh well.

Splat

Splat said:

The N64 is still me favorite console ever, I get all warm and fuzzy when any one talks about it.

Machu

Machu said:

Rare?!?!? :O OMG I hadn't thought of that. JFG... omg, what on earth!!! AAAAAGGH! Confused now! D:

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

On the 64, Metroid could've possibly gone to a Blast Corps style view in 3D, that's how I imagined it back when rumours were afloat.

Kinda glad Metroid went the way it did though :)

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

I reckon that it would have been a 2D sidescroller rendered in a 3D space, controlled with the D-Pad, and then you could switch to a first person mode, controlled with the analogue stick. How original is that?!

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Ah well. The Metroid Prime trilogy made up for the wait by being so awesome.

mecoy

mecoy said:

they should of made metroid prime for the n64 just drop some stuff

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I forgot there was no Metroid on N64. :O

It would of been so cool though... ah well... I bet they asked Rare though, if they did... just wow...

ReddLionz

ReddLionz said:

Ah,who cares. Yah, I could've been good, but Prime was so awesome I could care less.

Arcanum

Arcanum said:

i dont think people would have been ready for a 3D metroid at the time.
PS. @xDemon720x that triforce thing you got there is Sweet man.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I agree with those who say it was probably Rare...they're the only company I can really see being asked at the time. I'm fine with the series the way it is, though. Skipping that console generation was probably good for it in the long run.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

I don't mind that there was no N64 Metroid game, since—as others have already said—the Prime trilogy was well worth the wait...

Also, I don't blame the declining developer for saying no, since Super Metroid has still yet to be topped by any other game in the series...

motang

motang said:

I would have missed out as I skipped that whole console generation and played PC games. ;)

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I thought sure it would've happened back then but at least Samus did grace us with her first ever 3D appearance in SSB at least :)

b_willers

b_willers said:

Rare seems most likely, Nintendo just didn't outsource back then like they do now. Wouldn't it be funny if Rare tried doing a Metriod but canned the project and turned it into Jet Force Gemini?

JDesensitized

JDesensitized said:

Metroid Story! Watch as Samus explores 2.5D corridors with really bad graphics and atrocious level design! You just know it would've been 2.5D.

Seriously, I wonder if it was Rare's GoldenEye team.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Rare perfected the 1st person genre with the likes of 007 and Perfect Dark. And who can forget Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Kazooie?

Come to think of it, it's entirely possible that in it's initial stages, the development for Metroid Prime may have started out using N64 hardware.

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

Rare weren't technically a third party though, more like an affiliate of Nintendo so it might not have been them after all. Plus, why would Rare think that they couldn't do it justice - they were amazing back then!

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

It could be Rare, but if it was, I'm sure we wouldn't have one of the games they made today, and would have to sacrifice JFG or something. Rare has always stated (back then) they wanted to do things new in ways they weren't done before in the best way possible. That's where the whole SnS thing from Banjo-Kazooie took place, but was dropped by NIntendo for being to potentially damaging to the hardware. They didn't just want to do a lock-on cart. They wanted a frickin pull out the game in a set amount of time system. It would have been great too.

Anyway they could have just made metroid 64 with the control scheme Kirby 64 had, seeing not many games at all used the D-pad on the N64. Hell, I don't even know of ANY game on that system that used the "left-hand setup" where your right hand used the joystick and your left the d-pad. I bet they could have made it work beautifully...

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

They didn't know where to start with a 3d Metroid so it's a good thing they didn't. It would have been a bad game. Just look at Castlevania 64. Not every game has made the transition from 2d to 3d as easy as Mario.

OnionOverlord

OnionOverlord said:

I'm probably alone in that I was never fond of Metroid Prime at all. I didn't much dig the control scheme.

I think we all know what the NAME of Metroid on N64 would have probably been, given Nintendos habit of putting 64 at the end of everything.

As for how it would have played, I can't help but imagine it being based on a modified Mario 64 or OoT engine. Metroid always did feel like a cross between Mario and Zelda to me anyway until Prime came along.