3DS Launches Feb. 26 in Japan

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Europe and North America join the fun in March

During Nintendo Conference 2010, CEO Satoru Iwata announced the Japanese launch date and price for the upcoming 3DS handheld.

The portable will release on Feb 26, 2011 and retail for 25,000 yen. The two launch colours are Aqua Blue and Cosmo Black. Prices vary by market and it's tough to say that the price will be exactly the same in other territories, but that amount is equivalent to approximately $300USD/€220/£190.

Iwata also said that North America and Europe will get ahold of the new hardware sometime in March of next year, with details to come from their respective Nintendo branches.

[via ds.ign.com]

SamsN_ite

SamsN_ite said:

dang.... there goes most my excitement..... How did you guys know that it comes out in March to other territories? They never officially announced that.... yet...

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

What, no red color at launch? Boo! Oh well, black was my second choice and it still looks pretty sexy.:)

Kimiko

Kimiko said:

Where's my purple 3DS? And the redesign?
€220 is rather steep too. I might hold off until there's some awesome games that make it a necessity.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

So......much.......disappointment.........I WAS SO PLANNING ON HAVING A 3DS IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!!!! :( I thought FOR SURE Japan would at least get it in 2010 and then I would just import. DOn't get me wrong, I'm really happy about all the new features anounced but damn.......that release date was just a total blow to the gut.......

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

It's worth noting that DSi was 18,900 yen at launch, which equates to $225 US, but the actual US launch price was $170.

I honestly don't expect 3DS to be over $249.99.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

I had my fingers crossed for Christmas 2010 too, but in a way, if Europe is going to wait until March 2011 then I have more time to save for it (conveniently, my birthday is in February).

If there is only one month difference between Europe and Japan, it is not worth while impoting, either. For the sake of having it a month early, the possible complications that connecting to DSiWare could bring up are not worth the trouble, (unless you actually want to access the content on the Japanese DSiWare's store, that is).

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

More time to save up I suppose. Plus less "OMG I CAN'T FIND ONE BECAUSE EVERYONE IT GETTING IT AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT" stuff going on.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

The dollar sucks right now, converting Yen prices to Dollars aren't going to give you an answer that makes sense. I'm guessing $250.

timp29

timp29 said:

The Aussie dollar is doing awesome... almost parity with the US$, but I bet it is still $50 more expensive than the US$ price.

I also have a birthday late february... muahahaha

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Much later and more expensive than I thought. Maybe those rumored specs aren't quite accurate? Regardless... Just Black and Blue? No, thank you. I can wait.

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

Well Nintendo never said anything about a Christmas release and I'm perfectly happy with a March release.

Also it's definitely going to be cheaper than that in the US. You all have crazy electronics prices. Can't say about elsewhere though. :/

Terra

Terra said:

I want the Aqua Blue one, I went for Black last time with the DSi

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Good, the NA date was just as I predicted. A Christmas release was very unreasonable for marketing reasons, and so now I can have more time to save for it.

Kevin

Kevin said:

So muich for the November rumors. Oh well. That gives me more time to enjoy the games coming out this year!

jdkipfer

jdkipfer said:

I think $300 is a bit too much. I guess I will go on ebay or wait for a sale or something...

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

@timp29: Yeah, if we're lucky. =(

The exchange rate is as close as it's ever been, yet we're still being charged $80-$100 for first party Wii games while they're selling for beans ($40-$50) in the states. Disgraceful. =(

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Just because it's the equivalent of $300 doesn't mean it's going to be $300

rjejr

rjejr said:

US price will probably be $249.99 (except at WalMart where it will be $249.97). $300 seems like alot for a handheld game console that's going to get lost on mass transit, destroyed in a school bag, or stolen. Plus it's 6 SIX months from now so who knows.

The release date seems reasonable since they just lowered the DSi prices and will want those holiday sales - which will still be huge if that $300 3DS price point is out there. Plus, they are actually releasing games for the Wii this holiday - Wii Party, Kirby, DK and Epic Mickey.

Metroid133

Metroid133 said:

I for one am actually happy for this. I'm just about done paying for the 12 games I preordered till the end of this year.....X_X 3DS can wait till next year since I'll be busy until then. Next year is going to start with LittleBigPlanet 2, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and Nintendo 3DS! :)

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Jeez, the dollar sucks right now.

Well, one out of two isn't bad. I got the release date right, but there is NO WAY it'll sell for less than $200 now. :( I highly doubt it'll be the full $300 for various reasons (larger market in the US, Japan traditionally subsidizing exports, etc.), but there's no way it'll be less than $200.

I'm not paying more than that for it though, I'm just not. The iTouch's specs are so much better, and it only costs $230. Nice to know I will be able to move my DSiWare and sell the DSi, if I can't force myself to wait, I'll probably just wait for the 3DS Lite now. The only thing that's really making me jump for it is the Virtual Handheld. Grrr...

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Hopefully I'll get this for my birthday since it's a month later than the eu launch, my birthday is 11th April.

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

Gosh! if i calculate the taxes it might get to 345$ where i live! Thats way too much! :(

Punny

Punny said:

I'm guessing the US will get it in March 2011, then. Oh, well. The Wii and DS goodies this year are just as sweet. :)

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

Good, I was hoping it wouldn't come out this year. All that April 2011, then September 2010, then March 2011, then November 2010, then March 2011 again nonsense can be put to rest. Let the DS line go out with a bang Nintendo and give the Wii a spectacular Christmas without the need in our minds to find half a grand for a new portable. Besides my next birthday is May of 2011 so I can wait. :D

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I am with Dodger on this one. I know a lot of people wanted a Holiday release, but I really don't have the cash right now to buy the 3DS with. By March, I can easily save enough for the portable as well as a plethora of launch titles and VC titles. We have enough great games until then to keep us busy.

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

as excites as I am for all the news, QUIT POSTING 3DS STUFF! or, maybe post more good news. Either way, I win somehow :P

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

maybe they will do release it for xmas and are just faking these dates for it to be a surprise //keeps dreaming

YoshiSage

YoshiSage said:

$300 IN JAPAN. There's still hope for a lesser price here.

But even so, it might be a while before I can afford it. I was looking forward to a pre-Christmas release too :(

Marvelousmoo

Marvelousmoo said:

I doubt it will be $300. Nintendo always makes their hardware cheaper than other companies do, but maybe they are taking a risk this time. It IS an incredible piece of hardware...

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

It launches in Japan on my birthday. How awesome is that! :D Can't wait to get me one of these things in March.