THQ Brings Art Alive on Wii with uDraw Studio

Posted by James Newton

Graphics tablet on the way to Wii

Over the years, many companies have tried to make enjoyable, engaging artistic products for home consoles, but for every Mario Paint there's Art Alive. THQ, however, is certain it's onto a winning formula with its newly announced uDraw GameTablet and uDraw Studio.

Not just your standard graphics tablet, the press release for the GameTablet mentions tilt and roll options to manoeuvre characters in additional software such as Dood's Big Adventure, which resembles a cross between Drawn to Life and Ivy the Kiwi?. It's likely these functions are actually provided by the Wii Remote, as the GameTablet essentially acts as a Remote extension controller.

One of the biggest draws of the GameTablet is the long-awaited appearance of Pictionary! on the Wii, finally letting families gather around the TV to play the classic pen-and-paper game properly.

The uDraw GameTablet with uDraw Studio is set to launch in North America this Christmas at around $69.99, with releases in other territories to follow in early 2011.

HQ ANNOUNCES uDRAW™ GAMETABLET™ for Wii™ – AN INNOVATIVE GAMING ACCESSORY

HITTING STORE SHELVES THIS HOLIDAY SEASON

uDraw GameTablet Launches with First Wave of Planned Game Releases This Holiday to Bring Interactive Entertainment and Artistic Expression Together For Players of All Ages

Agoura Hills, Calif. – August 17, 2010 – Global video game developer and publisher, THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced uDraw™ GameTablet™, a first-of-its-kind, innovative new gaming accessory developed by THQ as a Wii™ exclusive scheduled to hit U.S. retail store shelves just in time for the holiday season.

The uDraw GameTablet will launch bundled with an expansive drawing, coloring and art-based video game, uDraw Studio, for a suggested retail price of $69.99. In addition to uDraw Studio, two other video games designed for use with the uDraw GameTablet – Pictionary™ and Dood’s Big Adventure™ – are scheduled to hit store shelves on the same day for a suggested retail price of $29.99 each. The uDraw GameTablet is scheduled to be available in Europe and other International territories in early 2011. Future waves of video game titles are planned during calendar 2011 and beyond.

“The uDraw GameTablet is designed to target consumers of all ages this holiday season with a compelling price point and familiar drawing-inspired gameplay mechanic that has been enhanced for today’s tech-savvy families,” said THQ Chief Executive Officer Brian Farrell.

“We've designed the uDraw GameTablet to offer something for everyone: the kids can doodle, save their creations on an SD-Card and print their artwork for display on the refrigerator. Students can improve their skills through in-game tutorial lessons. And the whole family can sit down together for family game time with products like Pictionary,” added Executive Vice President, THQ Kids, Family, Casual Games and Global Online Services, Martin Good.

“We are impressed with THQ’s innovative design and focus on bringing a new gameplay experience to the Wii owner with their uDraw GameTablet,” said Steve Singer, vice-president of Licensing for Nintendo of America. “Nintendo is committed to providing fun and unique experiences and THQ’s uDraw GameTablet seems destined to continue that trend.”

About uDraw GameTablet
The uDraw GameTablet is a first-of-its-kind, innovative new hardware device that provides an entirely new and entertaining way for kids and families to play on Wii. Scheduled to be available in the U.S. this holiday season, the uDraw GameTablet combines a deep and immersive level of creative freedom with a line of video games developed to expand gameplay and expression.

The device is a small white handheld tablet with a 4” x 6” drawing space and detachable, pressure-sensitive stylus designed to offer more subtle control and precision than available on the traditional Wii Remote™. The Wii Remote docks discretely within the uDraw GameTablet, allowing the device to draw power directly from the Wii Remote. A convenient storage area hides the Wii Remote wrist strap and stylus when not in use. The uDraw GameTablet also features tilt-and-roll movement options, allowing players to interact and control in-game characters by moving and directing them through game levels. Additionally, SD-card support enables players to save and print their artwork and other uDraw creations.

The uDraw GameTablet comes ready to play with the uDraw Studio game and is scheduled to be available Holiday 2010 in the U.S. for a suggested retail price of $69.99. Pictionary and Dood’s Big Adventure are planned to hit store shelves on the same day for a suggested retail price of $29.99 each.

About uDraw Studio
Packaged with the uDraw GameTablet, uDraw Studio was designed as a showcase piece for the capabilities of the device and features a robust set of art creation modes and user-friendly tools that help players create anything from simple doodles to intricate masterpieces that can be saved and shared.

About Pictionary™
Pictionary™, the game of quick sketches and crazy guesses, has innovative new functionality and game modes for the whole family! In addition to great classic Pictionary™ play, new features include rotating canvases, one-line challenges and other fun gameplay modes in a lively game show setting.

About Dood’s Big Adventure
In Dood’s Big Adventure, players will navigate their customizable Dood through 60 levels across four gameplay modes in a world where coloring books come to life and user-created doodles, characters and background art populates the in-game world.

[via worldofudraw.com]

Rensch

Rensch said:

This looks cool but I do not really see the need if you can do practically the same with a PC and a tablet which you can get for a reasonable price.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

No thanks; I've got WarioWare DIY already. And a bunch of colored pencils so that I can make a real picture :P

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

DS functionality on the Wii...interesting. If THQ was to port some DSiWare to Wii that could be cool.

erv

erv said:

I'm a designer by profession and wouldn't even consider buying this, it's probably not for people already at home in producing quality graphics. Still don't really see how they can make this a worthwhile experience...

NGpenguin

NGpenguin said:

yea im an artist too im certantily not a professinal but i can still draw a decent mario

Crunc

Crunc said:

Looks like it could be a win, but Pictionary? Why not just play the real thing? I fail to see how sitting around a TV and playing it on a TV is better then playing the real thing.

James

James said:

@erv - The fact you plug it into a Wii Remote rather than a PC kind of tells me it's not really aimed at professional designers. It's just a fun drawing kit.

Also, why has nobody made Pictionary for DSiWare yet? It'd be perfect! Make it so, THQ.

Victoria

Victoria said:

I had Mario Paint for my Super NES way back when. I spent hours on that thing drawing silly pictures, and making quirky animations. This would be fun for me.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

This does make Pictionary a bit more practical - unless presentation notepads and easels are more common than an imagine?

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

this definitely has some real potential. i have no artistic ability whatsoever, so if it has some Art Academy-esque training, too, i'd be really interested in seeing all of what it can do.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

So this is the ambitious, innovative, one-of-a-kind Wii experience THQ has been touting all this time. I'm impressed.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Looks like a Bamboo Tablet....interesting, hope it can function like one. Hopefully we get some kind of WiiWare version of Art Academy

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I wonder if there's any chance you can hook it up to your computer and use it with Photoshop...I've actually been needing a drawing tablet.

eatcardboardbox

eatcardboardbox said:

I'm a digital artist and I think this is a bad idea. I mean having a tablet is good, but you can't really release your full potential without a program like photoshop CS4, Flash, CS4, SAI, etc.
Having a tablet cost 60 dollars JUST for the wii is a little too much, since you can get a decent "okay" one for 100 bucks for the computer.
Even if it is "just for fun", it will end up in your junk pile of hardware you never use anymore real quick

Oregano

Oregano said:

After seeing the trailer.... doesn't look so bad.... the adventure game looks a bit like Ivy the Kiwi even!

Probably won't buy it but looks like some actual effort is being put into this!

NGpenguin

NGpenguin said:

awesome idea Raylax a wii flipnote studio would be really cool they need to make a yellow pen then u could make alot more paint color combos

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Looks like it could be great and I'm sure my young daughter will have fun with it. I'm surprised Nintendo haven't done this themselves TBH. I wonder if any 'proper' games will use it .Could be quite cool in an RPG ,Writing letters,solving puzzels a la Zelda PH etc.
Its great to see 3rd parties getting creative for the Wii though. My only reservation is it is yet another peripheral.Where I'm I supposed to keep all this stuff? :D

ogo79

ogo79 said:

this is something my girlfriend would enjoy for sure...her and niece

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

i have a tablet, and I love it! I might ask for this for christmas, might not. still deciding...

IanUniacke

IanUniacke said:

Speaking as a family man I think this is an incredible piece of technology. It's a graphics tablet at mass market prices...and although you couldn't use it for proper art on a pc it should be heaps of fun for a family in my opinion.

moosa

moosa said:

A $60 peripheral that is bound to have extremely limited software support isn't the first thing I'd think of when you say "mass market."

ArjunaAle

ArjunaAle said:

Considering I have a $1,500 Wacom Tablet I don't think this is a must buy for me. XD

NGpenguin

NGpenguin said:

WHOA a $1,500 wacom tablet? thats probaly alot better. but i dont even have the money 4 photoshop... :o

Rerun

Rerun said:

Interesting. I like it when they come out with new things. I just hope that it works as well as I want it to.

GC-161

GC-161 said:

@eatcardboardbox Baloney. I've seen artist make great works of art with even less than what this device offers. And I've also seen craptacular works by artists that use photoshop, flash, etc. to try and mask their poor drawing skills (they usually use colors, lots of shadowing effects, filters, etc to cover their crappy line work).

As so-called professional artists, you should be more supportive of something such as this. Something that will probably motivate new artists into diving into creating digital artwork. And maybe we'll get better artist out there as a result.

pikku

pikku said:

I like drawing, and if this has the ability to hook up to the PC, I'm definitely gonna get it. I need a PC drawing tablet.