GoldenEye Multiplayer Doubles-Up but Loses its Voice

Posted by James Newton

Eight players, no voices

James Bond always manages to take down megalomaniacal scientists, gamblers and supernationalists with just a few gadgets and some sharp one-liners, but the upcoming GoldenEye will test his wits in multiplayer as it will support up to eight players online.

Bond will have to stay silent on his upcoming multiplayer mission however, as Activision has confirmed there will be no online voice chat through Wii Speak or USB headset, a real disappointment as GoldenEye is surely a game that demands being able to hear your enemies scream as you Klobb them to death for the tenth time.

We played some split-screen GoldenEye at a recent London event, so have a read of our GoldenEye 007 Multiplayer First Impressions.

Strofan7

Strofan7 said:

aw seriously? delay the game if it means you can add chat, that is huge to people!

irken004

irken004 said:

8 people eh? MW Reflex had 10 people max online :P I'm not too worried about a lack of voice support. Nintendo hasn't done too well with online voice chat anyway.

Will_iPhone_3GS

Will_iPhone_3GS said:

Such a shame but it is understandable, online would probably not use friend codes so removing voice chat would make it 'cleaner' for younger players (but should young children be playing this anyway?)

I would prefer voice chat though...

Oregano

Oregano said:

@Will.iPhone_3GS: I think the games going to be a 12, there's no gore and it captures a bigger audience so probably children are intended to be playing it.

I'm not too fussed anyway, don't like voice chat and I don't use it too often on my 360. 8 players sounds a bit low but the gameplay looks fun and very quick, no waiting to respawn and small arenas so 8 players might work really well.

Cia

Cia said:

Voice chat is overrated. Every other option should be preferred before voice chat. If i'm battling against russian soldier, i don't wanna hear a voice of 12 year old nerd swearing back to me, nothing could be more unimmersive.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

If it had voice chat I'd probably just fart into the microphone anyway. Probably for the best there is no voice chat. I wouldn't have expected it anyway. Voice chat for the original Goldeneye was swearing at each other in the same room.

KrazyKain

KrazyKain said:

meh, that's very disappointing, they even say conduit 2 doesn't require friends to voice chat.. that's a huge difference

jer18

jer18 said:

Hearing the 10 and 12yo's with poor attitudes are the most disappointing :). I'm looking forward that there wont be voice capabilities!

Marvelousmoo

Marvelousmoo said:

I won't need a voice chat, because I will be utilizing the four player split-screen option. I think this game looks good so far. The graphics are amazing for a Wii game.

siavm

siavm said:

Most games don't use. It will not be missed. I tried it with monster hunter and the results are not great. Since it is not a head set it makes it heard to be heard and when you are it sounds kind of crappy. They should have just made a head set if they wanted to do it right.

FunderThucker

FunderThucker said:

Meh, monster hunter tri has voice chat, but no one really uses it there though. No biggy, would still like to have the option though ACTIVISION, if you're listening...

Mange

Mange said:

Friendcode or not... Developers are nuts if they don´t add voice chat between teammates.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

The simple way to do it is to allow it for friendcode matches and not for random battles. Then you can chat with your friends and not have to deal with annoying people.

I probably wouldn't play this online anyway (all my friends who play games online have an Xbox or PS3, so they probably won't waste their time with a Wii shooter when they have such a good selection already). Hopefully they will implement pointer controls well with an engaging single player and split screen multiplayer.

Even more hopefully, Activision, Microsoft, and Nintendo will renew talks about the agreement to release the original Goldeneye on both Xbox Live and VC to promote the new one's release. Then I can just skip the new one altogether! (j/k. I know that won't happen. But I can dream....)

Edit: They really should have done in America what they did in Europe and bundled WiiSpeak with the game with MH3, it seems. It's sort of a pain/expensive to just buy it separately.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

Meh...The more I look at this game the more features they take away. Not like voice chat is all that big of a deal anyway. I have yet to find someone on Monster Hunter Tri who also owns a Wii Speak.

Nin1Od0

Nin1Od0 said:

chat wouldn't be so overrated if it was actually something that was commonly available(on the Wii at least)....Nintendo uses it for only what... less then 10 games at most, which is about the same or less from the DS?

it definetly would of been a great addition. but o well, what can you expect. personally, I just hope they get the service and online layout better......friend codes....why!!!!

Nin1Od0

Nin1Od0 said:

@tokengirl....actually they should of bundled it with the Wii's after Animal Crossing came out. That title didn't do above expectations, and it certainly didn't push sales of Wii Speak. And then eventually kept it along side the new Wii's that come with Wii Resort and a Motion Plus.

Hopefully by the holidays the remotes will already have Motion Plus built in the controler and the next Wii's will be bundled w/Wii Party (though I personally don't like that game, I just know it will sell well) and hopefully finally bring Wii Speak as well.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

Use Skype. I never play against random idiots(at least random people act like that). When you play with your friends, you can use your favourite voip aplication. Its easy, good quality and super.

ECM

ECM said:

Ditto what Varo said: just use skype and you don't have to worry about hearing the f*ckwits that typically populate voice chat on, say, XBL.

Oregano

Oregano said:

@Varo & ECM: That's why people tend to only use mics for XBL parties... I know that's the only time I use my headset.

Arkia

Arkia said:

It's a bit disappointing to hear to won't be any voice chat. I guess I'll just have to get use to not having whiny preteens cussing everyone out for the entire game.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Personally I am glad theres no voice chat. I played a few games on XBL that had voice chat and it is just annoying. Usually I get people talking about everything else but the game or I get some drunk guy babbling about nonsense or people cussing me out cause I am a better player than them.

Although if they did add voice chat I would like them to add a mute button on it for people like me who dont want to deal with voice chat.

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

Meh. That's why I have a Wii. I don't care about voice chat, and, frankly, I don't care about online. I'd much rather play splitscreen with my friends any day. Let's hope that holds up

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Y'know, I got my Wii Speak with Animal Crossing... it's a shame I don't get to use it for... well... anything. I can barely connect with Conduit 2, I haven't really played with anyone on Monster Hunter Tri, I can't connect with Animal Crossing period, and now this... in the words of Fifi La Fume... "le sigh..."

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@Tasuki If they did have voice chat, you do know you can simply not buy a Wii Speak (and if you already have one, just don't use it) and not be affected by it, right?

Personally, I don't care for nor use voice chat, but for those who do, this is just another reason to anticipate Conduit 2 over Goldeneye.

Acidfoxdyi831

Acidfoxdyi831 said:

kinda glad that it wont because i dont want ppl cussing in my ear BUT i am glad we have voice chat for conduit2:)
Goldeneye....not really

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

I don't care about this phony remake which isn't even a remake. This is just a try to cash in on Rare's masterpiece. The game has not much in common with the original besides the James Bond license and some loose plot elements. None of the developers were involved in the making of Nintendo64 Goldeneye. So why do they have to abuse the name of one of the greatest gaming classics?

PS: Voice chat can be a great feature for co-op or team based gameplay. So I use the headset for some games on Xbox Live (Battlefield, Splosion Man,...). But when playing against each other player I don't see a point in using voice chat.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Focus on local multiplayer if you really want to do the name justice!, that's your only chance chance at beating Conduit 2 now! (not that you'll need it, I'm sure this will sell 5 times as many copies on the name alone)

Master_Alex

Master_Alex said:

ugh, whatever, thats not weird on Nintendo ¬¬, so i dont care, but i was dreaming a lot whit voice chat, maybe now i will not buy it ¬¬