Super Mario Galaxy 2 Players Already Super-Skilled and Super-Fast

Posted by James Newton

Debate opens: is this a glitch or just a skill?

This one will probably divide opinion, but this video of a Super Mario Galaxy 2 speedrun exploits a trick for extending Yoshi's flutter jump to previously unheard-of lengths.

It doesn't appear to be a glitch but rather a combination of moves that allows Yoshi to repeat his hover ability, but we'll let you be the judge of whether that constitutes a glitch or just clever gaming. Part of the joy of learning to play is discovering new abilities and it could well be this was intended to offer expert players a new way to explore, certainly a typical Nintendo move, but on the other hand this could well be an accidental exploit that looks as if it could bypass much of the intricate level design that typifies Mario's latest adventure.

Have a look at the video and let us know what you think: dexterous skill, heinous glitch or a muddy combination of both?

[via gonintendo.com]

Will_Ireland

Will_Ireland said:

Theres no way its a glitch, its too smooth. This guy is just good, and I'm sure its a lot harder to do then this video implys. Controls for the advanced player I say... :-P

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

So you Hump Yoshi in The Air, and He Keeps Hovering.

Ok, It better then Jumping off of him, in Super Mario World so Mario Can stay alive

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

I know that there's really awkward momentum in the game when you're on a moving platform, but this...this can be summarized in six words:

"what is this i don't even"

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

It definitely looks and feels built-in. I already figured out multi-flutter on my own playing the game yesterday. And, as Shadx said, this technique has been around for about 15 years, so I don't see why this is getting scrutinized at all.:P

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Pure skill is all. In my opinion, everything that isn't "over the top" glitching is just hidden tecniques! Like all the sniper spots in COD: WAW for the Wii... Why would they let you walk on the texture if you weren't meant to? Any kind of hovering/walking out of bounds is cheating though! :P This was skill anyway.

Sockapal

Sockapal said:

If he wants to shorten the game and not enjoy the fully amazing entire experience, more power to him....

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Depends, the multi-flutter was probably intentional. The free-form gameplay probably allowed for experiences that even the developers never thought of or took into account though.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

That picture makes me feel guilty. I sacrificed Yoshi countless times in SMW in order jump just a little bit higher :-/

Luigi-La-Bouncy

Luigi-La-Bouncy said:

That's not a glitch. All Mario games have those kinds of little tricks and techniques. What he's doing takes a lot of skill I imagine.

RogueBologna

RogueBologna said:

flutter duck and flutter again. just tested it. isnt real easy to gain height i always go down

Digiki

Digiki said:

He pretty much just skipped all the parts where he would've had to stand around waiting, I'm not sure how people could be against it.

nintendogamerftw

nintendogamerftw said:

It's a rather simple glitch to full off. If you don't want to know how to do it, stop reading this post.

First start fluttering. When Yoshi is just about to stop (but before he does) press the Z button, release and then flutter again.

timp29

timp29 said:

Id say it's built in. It looks like mario loses a lot of momentum on each subsequent flutter. If it has built in penalties, it is probably a technique that has been planned for. You can see that any more than 3 flutters seems pretty useless in terms of distance gaining.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

A way to skip massive portions of the level built in? It looks like a major glitch to me.!

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

That's it Yoshi! Hit the robot's man-boobs with bullet bills that come out of its heart!

skywake

skywake said:

"In video games, a glitch is a programming error which results in behavior not intended by the programmers. Glitches may include incorrectly displayed graphics, collision detection errors, game freezes/crashes, sound issues, and others."

If it has built in safeguards against infinite flutter than it is unlikely that it is unintentional. I can't see that sort of behavior arising unintentionally nor can I see them missing this in testing. Therefore I really doubt this is a glitch.

Also, I don't see how this ruins the game anymore than knowing how to long-jump early on in the game. In the video he is taking shortcuts over sections but if anything he is making the game harder for himself NOT easier. In some sections if he failed to get as much distance or height as he did he would fall infinitely with no moving platform to support him. He would also fail if he failed to notice the glass barriers that were blocking his path or if he hit any of the bullet bills.

I don't see why any of you think this is a glitch and have a problem with this. If anything it looks like the level and technique were designed with full knowledge that this could be done.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Looks like he's ducking as soon as Yoshi finishes his flutter kick. Pretty interesting.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@Skywake.... I understand exactly what a glitch is, I exploited Many in my years of gaming. I very well think that it could have been left there intentionally, but it looks very glitchy nonetheless or else it wouldnt be posted here front page on NL would it? Maybe they did put it in there intentionally, I dont know. Just from what I saw in the video it does look very different from anything I would ever expect to see in a Mario title released in 2010!

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

what i noticed is that the player in the video would make mario/yoshi do a short 360 turn before each flutter jump. it nay not have anything to do with it, but it does seem a bit coincidental that it should happen.
also, as we know, youtube vids aren`t the best of quality at times, so i`d agree, it looks more like skillful playing than a glitch.

KanrakusPizza

KanrakusPizza said:

This guy really has no skill if he uses the glitch just to pass the map.
It just shows he needs to cheat because he sucks at the real game.

Just sayin.

BobberyFan98

BobberyFan98 said:

Might I add that this dude has found ton's of glitches in Super Mario Galaxy 1, so he does it to fool around ;)

-BF98 ;)

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

If people enjoy searching for glitches or new techniques and doing them for speedruns, I don't see how that's "abusing" the game. It's just how they personally enjoy playing, and it is pretty cool to watch on youtube. This doesn't even look like a glitch though, especially given that it's supposedly been possible since SMW, and it's not feasible to keep it going indefinitely. Exploiting the level design is a completely valid way of appreciating it.

CharlieRod

CharlieRod said:

How do you do this on Mario World? And yes I'm not a cheater like people say above because I've already beaten the crap out of the game. I'm just curious... It's funny how you can't even see Mario's eyes because he's just moving forward and not looking back in the pic. Has anyone modded thier game so that if you drop Yoshi he screams in pain, Mario dies, or Yoshi becomes you're enemy by jumping back up and beats the crap out of Mario?

JimLad

JimLad said:

If it gives any massive shortcuts to the levels, I'd call it an exploit.
Not so much an issue in a single player game, but I wont look at that video because I don't want to give myself a handicap going straight into the game.
Exploits in online games, now that's annoying (snaking in Mario Kart DS)

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@CharlieRod: she means SMW2, where the Yoshi flutter ability debuted. And yes, you can flutter repeatedly in the same manner in that game, but you usually can't gain height in the same manner as shown in this video. :3

also, @JimLad: waaaaaah, someone plays the game in a different manner than you, boo-hoo. snaking in MKDS takes skill, man, and hats off to those who can use it to their advantage.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

You could also skip over entire levels in SMW with ease if you perfected the cape techniques.

MrPanic

MrPanic said:

I would say that it's a easter egg, pure fan service for the Yoshi fans since he did that in other games too.

EdEN

EdEN said:

After seeing the video again and finding the little nuances of jumping/dismounting/mounting on Yoshi it has to be said that it's aaaall skill.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Not having the game for a few more days (shipping!), I'm curious: what happens if you use this to travel away from the level's main areas? Do you eventually hit an invisible edge-of-level wall and drop?

smithers

smithers said:

its almost definately not a glitch because each jump isnt the same length as the last one...they deteriorate over time which makes me think that the developers put this in the game on purpose for those skilled/lucky enough to find it

she_gamer

she_gamer said:

I agree with warioswoods. After finishing SMW, I just perfected using the cape so I could fly across levels. No glitch. Just skill. If it weren't for the ability to use yoshi as a springboard, I wouldn't have found the Cheese Bridge secret (i think it was that level...)

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

um, the built-in flutter jump doesn't require you to push Z to recharge. you flutter jump, wait a bit, then you can hold a again. it doesn't travel far though, which makes this a glitch

SuperPeach

SuperPeach said:

Since you can reset the flutter instead of waiting if you time it just right, I say no glitch. It takes some skill to press it just right.