Nintendo Download: 28th May 2010 (Europe)

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

The Virtual Console returns in style, WiiWare gets arty and DSiWare gets a bunch of random stuff

There's plenty to pick from this time. You can either go with one of Kirby's best outings or a new Art Style game on the Wii, or Picross and God of War knock-offs on DSiWare. The choice is yours!

WiiWare

Art Style: Penta Tentacles (600pts - Nintendo) – Nintendo of Europe decides to mix things up a little by not releasing the Art Style title North America recently got, but instead the other title which was announced to be upcoming, known elsewhere as Rotozoa. The concept of this title should be familiar to most people - You're a small organism who has to feed on even smaller ones in order to grow bigger. A slight twist is given here in that you're not actually eating things, but rather adding to your multitude of differently coloured tentacles. You'll have to spin around and make sure that you touch all objects with the tentacle of the same colour. We'll review this soon, but we're pretty sure we can expect the usual Art Style brilliance!

Lead the Meerkats (1000pts - Lapland Studio) – It's been moderately hyped for a while, but now it's finally here. A strategy title starring meerkats, you'll have to try and survive in the African Savannah by digging tunnels, collecting food, increasing the size of your group, fighting enemies and more. It seems like it could offer quite a bit of value, let's hope it does!

Voodoo Dice (1000pts - Ubisoft) – A puzzle game starring a bunch of dice. It seems quite complicated - It requires you to move and turn around dice, with specific numbers having to be on top at times in order to achieve things. This one seems like it'll be perfect for hardcore puzzle game fanatics, we'll see if that's true soon.

Virtual Console

Kirby's Fun Pak (800pts SNES - Nintendo) – Easily one of the best Kirby games ever made, it's actually a compilation of several smaller, mostly original titles. More well known under its North American title of Kirby Super Star, it very recently got a DS remake, which is practically superior in every single way, but if you want to see what the original was like, well, here's your chance! Our Kirby Super Star review should inform you exactly why this game is so awesome.

DSiWare

Hero of Sparta (800pts - Gameloft) – The only DSiWare title priced at 800 this week, this looks somewhat like a miniature version of Sony's God of War franchise - You run around through a bunch of 3D levels as you beat up countless foes and a bunch of bosses, with the theme being based around Greek mythology. Expect a review soon.

Animal Color Cross (500pts - Little Worlds Studio) – Picross with all solutions being animals, pretty much. This is actually part of a retail game released in Europe 2 years ago titled Colour Cross, but as it's just 500 DSi Points it really might not be too bad a deal, after all, it's the only Picross game available on DSiWare!

Bloons (500pts - Hands-On Mobile) – A DSiWare version of the recently released WiiWare game, with a few notable improvements. Clearly not enough, though, because we still thought it was fairly uninteresting! Check out our Bloons review to see why.

Flips: The Magic Faraway Tree (500pts - Electronic Arts) – EA had a good thing going by pricing their last Flips title at 200 DSi Points and actually having it include more stories than any of the previous entries, but they're back to their greedy ways this time, because this one costs the usual 500 points. It's still probably a decent buy for young kids, but if you're still buying them at this point, it might just be wiser to seek out the retail versions! We'll review it soon.

Just Sing! National Anthems (200pts - DTP Entertainment) – You just knew there had to be another one sometime, and here it is! Unlike the Christmas version, there's a more generous five songs to sing available here - The national anthems of the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, France and Italy, clearly so you can get ready for the upcoming FIFA World Cup. Obviously, the on-screen lyrics are in their corresponding languages - So you might have a bit of trouble with pronunciation if you don't speak anything other than English.

Despite the Virtual Console being accounted for this week (And with a great game to boot), Nintendo of Europe still apparently deemed it unnecessary to issue a press release in advance. Oh well!

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Congratulations, Europe, on getting Kirby Super Star (er, Kirby's Fun Pak) on the European VC. :) [Why did they change titles in NA and EU, I wonder?]

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Just Sing: National Anthems

So now they're just daring us to download utter crap, right?

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

The only game I'm interested in getting is art style: penta tenracles. I won't get kirby super star because of the superior ds remake.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I'm surprised they didn't change the European name of the DS remake to "Kirby's Ultra Fun Pack"

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

I'm still confused as to why certain games' titles are altered when released in either NA or EU. I can understand StarFox (StarWing), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles), NInja Gaiden (Shadow Warriors), and Shadow of the Ninja (Blue Shadow). Otherwise, I'm afraid I may not understand why Kirby's Avalanche was changed to Kirby's Ghost Trap, or why Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage was changed to Spryo 2: Gateway to Glimmer, or why Illusion of Gaia was changed to Illusion of Time (having played the game, I understand how time plays a vital role in the plot, but I'm still unsure of why the title was altered?), just to name a few. It's a mystery to me.

AlexSays

AlexSays said:

Thought DSiWare was always about daring people to download crap.

I don't even care for these updates any more, to be honest.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Kirby is the main franchise that I missed out on growing up, aside from Kirby's Dreamland for the Gameboy which I have fond memories of. I beat it a several months ago and yeesh was it easy, but pretty good overall. How does Dreamland 2 stack up against the first? And i hear DL3 for the SNES was a tad bit dissapointing. The most recent Kirby game that i've played and beaten 100% was Kirby Canvas Curse for the ds, and it was amazing, truly innovative and insanely fun all around. :D

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@WaveBoy - Kirby's Dream Land 3 is one of those love it or hate it titles. Personally, I enjoyed every single second of it, and, imo, it's the best Kirby game ever made. :) Kirby Super Star [Ultra] being my second favorite in the series. :)
Kirby's Dream Land 2 is a great sequel to the original game; it's got three animal helpers, a chance to complete the game 100%, seven hidden rainbow shards, a true final boss (that can only be fought once you acquire all the rainbow shards) and two different endings, adding to the replay value. :) Kirby's Dream Land 3 has replay value, too.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

downloaded Kirby's Fun Pak. I wonder what our next VC game will be. I'm assuming whatever it is, it'll be what America gets on Monday next week. So Wild Guns perhaps?

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Awesome.But if only the GameBoy Color had a better light, I'm just not crazy about playing GB games on my GBA SP, because it shrinks the screen down a tad, and the GB cartridge sticks out underneithe. But at least the light is great! :p And believe me, I've tried those Junky Snake lights which don't work too well and cause shining on the screen. Then there's those bulky Light screens which are annoying and again too bulky. My best bet is too put a lamp overtop my GBC, but it's just so annoying to get it prefect and this and that :p

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Do you have a Super Game Boy cartridge (if you have an SNES console), or a Game Boy Player (if you have a GameCube), WaveBoy? Either option works, 'cause you can play Game Boy games on your TV screen with either of those two. :) The Super Game Boy has preset colors, a border, and ambient sound effects in the overworlds (I'm talking about Kirby's Dream Land 2). :) The Game Boy Player plays like a Game Boy Advance (in which if you're playing a pre-Game Boy Advance game you can either decide to keep the screen in its original size, or you can stretch it, via the press of either shoulder button).

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

[^ What does that word mean, if anything?]
I love turning enemies into allies. :) I also love how The Great Cave Offensive has treasures that allude to other video game series (i.e. Triforce, The Legend of Zelda; Screw Attack, Metroid). :)

JohnStalvern

JohnStalvern said:

Hero of Sparta was pretty fun for it's low price on PSP. I wonder how the DS version stands up, especially considering it costs a good 3 bucks or so more.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Great to see Kirby, but I still have the original SNES cardridge. Lead the Meerkats sounds interesting, but no clue what to think of it.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

@7. StarBoy91
I know Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was changed to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles in Europe because they wanted to take the word Ninja out of the title which they considered to be bad or something and make it Hero because that would be more kid friendly.

skywake

skywake said:

@StarBoy91
Star Fox was renamed Star Wing (and StarFox 64 was renamed Lylat Wars) because of a trademark issue. There was a game called Star Fox before Star Fox.......

ocarinaoftime

ocarinaoftime said:

glad to see u all get a virtual console game......i cant wait to they finally want to give us contra and super mario world 2 yoshis island......

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@skywake - I recall having looked that up in an article involving "The Making of Star Fox" (iirc) on NintendoLife.
I guess what bothers me about certain title alterations is why it's done in the first place. I'm seriously wondering why Quintenix/Nintendo changed from Illusion of Gaia (NA/AU) to Illusion of Time (EU)? Was there a disagreement which caused "Gaia" to become "Time" in the title? Maybe I'm just wondering about it too much.
Did Ninja Kirby remain intact in the European version of Kirby Super Star, or was that ability removed/replaced?

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

You could at least have a singing game that does not require knowing 5 different languages. But still, this game looks amazing. Im expecting a 10/10.

Bankai

Bankai said:

What a WiiWare update: Meerkats looks fun, Voodoo Dice looks fascinating, and Art Style! Terrible name, but Penta Tenticles gameplay footage makes it look like really good fun.

DSiWare is a bit disappointing though. The animal Pictoss game should be ok, I like puzzlers, so I probably get into Bloons, but other than that, it's terrible. Hero of Sparta, especially, is an appaling game, based on the iPhone/ PSN versions, with shocking framerates, ugly graphics, terrible collision detection, and such sedate pacing for an action game. It's actually better value to buy a PS3 and God of War or Dante's Inferno than plug down 800 points for that game.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@EU I knew you guys wouldn't have to wait long after NA got Kirby before you would get it as well. :)

timp29

timp29 said:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (UK) --> Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (USA)
Because the rest of the world is smarter than America - har har :p
Americans should be insulted at the insinuation that they don't know what a philosopher is.

Yasume

Yasume said:

Great update! I'm getting Kirby and Art Style and will wait for the reviews of Lead the Meerkats and Voodoo Dice.

Robster

Robster said:

Oehoe, I can finally brush up on singing my own national anthem! Hope you get scored on how pretty you sing it as well. Awesomeness.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Generally NoE change names to be easier to understand for non-English speakers (FIGS I guess as those are the languages NoE translates into), so puns tend to vanish away (more recently they have done literal translations of game titles though some will argue at their accuracy like Sin and Punishment 2s subtitle). As for Kirby's Avalanche I'd have to check news stories around 1993-1995 but people tend to die in Avalanches (especilly given how much Skiing goes on in Europe) so having a Kirby game with name is a bit insensitive. As for Ghost Trap. I guess the Puyos kind of look Ghostly. Personally, I would have called it Kirby's Mean Bean Machine to really confuse people :P

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

I wonder if Just Sing contains all verses of the German anthem or if they've only put the third in there? The first two still exist on the books and if they didn't research it properly they might mess that up (the first two aren't sung anymore because of Nazi co-notations).

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@StarWolf - okay, so, I guess that's a good reason.
I hope I'm not being antagonistic because of all the NA/EU nomenclaturization. :( I'm just incredibly curious, that's all.

dres

dres said:

@StarBoy91
Year, I think Starwolf_UK has a point. They change some names, that they think are to difficult to pronounce for non-English speakers in Europe ( And there are still many who can't speak and understand English very well in the big European country's. :-) )
This has been the case with movies from NoE, so I think its the same with games. I remember no one in main land Europe could really pronounce "Miss Congeniality", so they changed it to "Agent Catwalk" here in Denmark, "Miss F.B.I." in Germany and "Miss Agent" in Poland, and so on.
"The Interpreter" is another movie that the changed in Europe, and simply translated its title to native language instead.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Downloaded Art Style Penta Tentacles and Kirby's Fun Park (despite having the fantastic Kirby Superstar Ultra DS). Both very satisfying and enjoyable games so far.

I didn't know Animal Colour Cross was "part" of Colour Cross DS (duh)! The Colour Cross DS game was pretty decent though it had the odd flaw (save function?!) so I sold it on after deciding Picross and 3D Picross were enough for my DS collection. Still, as a 500 point DS title, I'll give ACC a shot.

I'm getting frustrated at the lack of storage solution on the DS, I must say.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Hero of Sparta:
idevice-was 5 now 2 bucks
psp- 5 bucks
ipad- 5 bucks
DSiware(eu)- 800 np's

hm.. wonder why so many people hate Gamelofts ported games so much. :(

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

The RPG battles in Kirby Super Star [Ultra] are very fun. :) I like how the enemy windows are like the ones you see in an Apple computer. :)
HAL Labs also made a really good, unfortunately obscure first-person RPG for the SNES called Arcana [JP/NA] years prior to Kirby Super Star. :)

Mikanes

Mikanes said:

Lead the Meerkats and Kirby's Fun Pak Downloaded. Jesh! ;)
I can't wait how relaxing are Meerkats! :)