Rogue Listing On Retailer Website

Posted by

Here's where the speculative fun begins!

Star Wars fans have been left a little wanting this generation with that light sabre game still unannounced. But now, all you wannabe Jedi’s may be able to look forward to piloting an X-Wing instead, as UK retailer GAME has recently listed Rogue Squadron as an upcoming release on its Web site.

Of course, with no official confirmation and with Activision Blizzard listed as the publisher, it’s probably best to not start polishing those goggles just yet. And as many eagle eyed gamers out there might have already noticed, some retailers have been advertising Pilotwings for years.

Let’s not forget though, Amazon put up Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 as a Wii game before Modern Warfare: Reflex was announced. Give it a few parsecs, and who knows, maybe the Empire will return.

[via game.co.uk]

Related Games

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

Heard a rumour about a possible compilation of the GC/N64 titles not so long ago, ala Metroid Prime Trilogy. Perhaps this could be it. Although logically it would seem to make more sense to release the N64 games on VC.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

If the latest VC Lucasarts partnership is anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a New Play Control Rogue Squadron II.

As always, taken with a pinch of salt!

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Hmmm..... It's good but I heard it was partially disproved as another game listing showed up a few days later: Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Wait a sec, isn't the company that made Rouge Sqadron shut down?

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

They need to release a compilation for the Wii or PS2, with waggle included with the Wii version, of course.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Parsec? That's a distance unit, isn't it? Btw, does it say Star Wars Rogue Squadron or just Rogue Squadron?

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I hope something comes out of this. "F-Zero GX" and "Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader" are still today in constant use over here, and while "F-Zero GX" has a very nice widescreen aspect ratio, "Rogue Leader" does not. I really really want a compilation of both GC titles with 480p, 16:9 support... and off I go to "Rogue Leader". Can you believe after all these years, I still don't have all the gold medals?

Rerun

Rerun said:

Until I see an actual announcement or ad, I'm not hoping for this one.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

N-Gamer were talking about this rumour a few months back but I haven't read anything else up until now. They seem to think it was an entirely new game specifically for the Wii, but who knows?

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@SilverBlacktail Yes, a parsec is a unit of distance. It's an in-joke among Star Wars fans. It's a reference as to how as mentioned in Episode IV, Han Solo navigated the black holes of the Maw so well in completing the Kessel Run with the Millennium Falcon that he set a record of less than 12 parsecs for doing it while traveling the shortest distance instead of measuring the record by time.

I would love a new Rogue Squadron game, especially with WM+ tilt steering that lets you aim with the IR functionality.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Remember back when the Xbox was supposed to get a compilation of all three Rogue Squadron games? I still want THAT. Hell, they could throw in Episode 1: Battle for Naboo as a bonus.

Ren

Ren said:

There was a tiny bit in one of the Wario games where you play a starfox boss using a sideways wii remote with motion control that was really great. I wish we could have some dogfighting with those controls, even a rogue squadron re-release or something, that'd be enough for me. I don't care much about sabers anymore, just tack on a bit thats like the Sports Resort sword battles with Star Wars themes and that'll do it for me.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

I'm more inclined to believe that they got mixed up and that this is referring to a virtual console release of the original Rogue Squadron. Granted, the original Rogue Squadron was publish by LucasArts and all N64 games currently on the Virtual Console were published by Nintendo, but the two were supposedly getting really chummy recently so I still think its a possibility.

If I were to speculate, I'd want to know who could possibly develop it. Factor 5 is closed and LucasArts works more as publisher lately than a developer.

The listing also says Activision/Blizzard as the publisher. I do elieve they published the last two Jedi Knight games so who knows if they could still be in a publishing relationship with LucasArts.

madgear

madgear said:

I still think the Rogue Squadron games are the best Star Wars games ever made. When I play a Star Wars game all I want to do is blow up the Death Star as Luke, fly the Millenium Falcon or bring down an Imperial Walker with a tow cable. As far as I'm aware, this series is the only one that lets you do that outside of the arcades.

However I'd prefer a new title in the series that follows all the key scenes from the original trilogy (and bonus if new trilogy too) just like the second game was to the first.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Rebel Assault was good? I suppose at the time, it was, but games have made SEVERAL advancements since then. Their FMV-based nature keeps them from reaching their full potential, since you're locked into what the game wants you to do.

Plus, c'mon. "Rookie One"? They should have given him a GOOD canon name, at least. :P

Willy105

Willy105 said:

When I was growing up, I didn't want to be a Jedi Knight, I wanted to be an X-Wing pilot.

The X-Wing/Rogue Squadron games are the best Star Wars games.

mnementh

mnementh said:

@madgear and Sabrewing - FMV? I don't really remember it that way. I had the game for the PC and played it with a Flightstick. it's basically on-rails but some episodes allow you to do much more. It was addictive and one of my favorite games at the time (1993-1995).

AVahne

AVahne said:

Heck YES! If it's a new game, that would be freaking awesome. but if it's just a collection of the first three games but with the first game graphically updated and an online multiplayer mode that you can select on a game menu thent hat would also be freaking awesome

ATRUEZELDAFAN

ATRUEZELDAFAN said:

That would actually be really cool, weather its a new wii game or a compilation of the first 3 re-done for the wii. SO this and a Zelda traialer would makew my day.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

@mnementh: Believe us, Rebel Assault, along with Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire, are totally FMV games. Branching paths don't change the fact that you're stuck on predetermined routes; Sewer Shark played similarly, though RA had the benefit of those brief on-foot missions where you could take cover a`la Time Crisis.

taffy

taffy said:

I think they've listed Activision as the publish as they publish all Lucasarts games outside of North America, so this has some legitimacy to it. Still, I would have thought that Lucasarts would have made some subtle hints so it's more then likely fake. Pity really :(

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

Who cares? LucasArts makes horrible games nowadays. "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings" is one of the worst games ever. I deeply regret that I spent money on this garbage although I bought it only because the talkie version of the great "Fate of Atlantis" is included.

My personal favourite Star Wars games:
1) "Tie Fighter" (PC, 1994)
2) "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" (Xbox + PC, 2003)
3) "Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II" (PC, 1997)

PS: "Rebel Assault" was totally overhyped in my opinion. Who cares for FMV sequences if the gameplay is weak?

ejamer

ejamer said:

Hmmm... already owning the GameCube versions of Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 means that this news isn't so interesting. Honestly, I'm not sure how they can improve on those titles - the big Star Wars battles that I want to play are covered, co-op play is included, and the graphics are (still) tremendous. Although not opposed to motion controls, I don't see immediate room for improvement by adding them like I did with Metroid or Pikmin... and just getting a better aspect ratio doesn't affect me because I don't have a widescreen TV.

@Guybrush_Threepwood: I'm still thinking about buying "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings" because I really want to have "Fate of Atlantis"... but it's hard to justify when all reports about the main game are so bad. :)

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

A new Rogue Squadron game would be music to my ears, but I find it unlikely. Also, since I own Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 on Gamecube, I wouldn't pick up a "new play control" version.

@ejamer: Don't waste your time on Staff of Kings. I am a loyal and forgiving Indy fan (I found things to enjoy in Crystal Skull even!) and I couldn't stand SoK one bit. Just go to Steam and make an account, you can get Fate of Atlantis for $5. I did that, and got rid of SoK in a heartbeat...its rubbish.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

The Factor 5 situation is complicated. Factor 5 as a studio is closed but Factor 5 as a technology company still exists.

I could see Rogue Squadron released for VC but I think I'd rather 2/3 re-released since I didn't play them as much.

ejamer

ejamer said:

@suburban_sensei:
I appreciate the good advice but my PC would actually need a gaphics card update to handle Fate of Atlantis (yes, I know how sad that is). The added cost and effort makes getting Staff of Kings a better option, especially since I'd rather play in front of my TV anyway. The Wii game is between $15 and $20... if it drops to $10 at some point I'll probably bite and figure that Fate of Atlantis alone is worth that price.

motang

motang said:

I remember playing Rogue Squadron back in the day on my GC, man that was very fun game!

mnementh

mnementh said:

@Sabrewing - well I loved it. It's an on-rails game but you have nice movement, especially the 4th level took time to master, and it was like an arcade experience. One of the greatest PC star wars games ever, although TIE Fighter is more satisfying. I'd say it's the second best after TIE Fighter. Dark Forces was overrated.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

If the rumor is true, hope this is an good game.

@Dragoon: Factor 5 still exist, but there American branch is gone. Only the German one remains, so it's not like all there future projects have been canned. And who knows, maybe they will finally unlock the potential of the Wii even further.

GC-161

GC-161 said:

The only Factor 5 project cancelled was a game based on Superman.

Aside from that game, Factor 5 was working on 2 other games for the Wii that were set to be released in 2009. One was a project with LucasArts.