Konami Announces Planned MSX Releases for Japan

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

It's not just November's five games, there's even more in the pipeline!

It seems like Konami is supporting the Wii's download services more and more - First the ReBirth games on WiiWare, and now support for the MSX catalogue on Virtual Console in Japan. No new MSX Virtual Console games have been released in Japan for over a year, so the fact that Konami has now announced 13 of them to be released over the next few months is quite surprising!

The first five games in the lineup will already be released in November. If you didn't look at the full Japanese Virtual Console list for said month yet, these five are as follows:

• Metal Gear
  • Penguin Adventure
  • Road Fighter
  • Space Manbow
  • Yie Ar Kung Fu 2

Of course Metal Gear is the biggest surprise, but the remaining 8 games aren't exactly small-time either. In December, January and possibly a few more months after that, Japanese Wii owners can also expect the following MSX games from Konami:

• Contra
  • Gofer no Yabou Episode II
  • Gradius 2 (Not the same as Gradius II!)
  • Knightmare: Majou Densetsu
  • Metal Gear II: Solid Snake
  • Parodius
  • Quarth
  • Salamander

As you can see, this finally means the original Contra will see a release on Virtual Console - Not the arcade or NES version, but rather the MSX one! There will also finally be a Parodius game - Hopefully the ridiculous sequels will make their way to the service as well!

Quite a number of Konami's MSX games were released in Europe, so we can only hope the system is added to the service elsewhere as well. Only time will tell!

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

Was the MSX at all popular in the US? Seems like it was Commodore country here.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm not even sure the MSX was released in the US. But I'd love to see these games brought to the US VC. I love the Parodius and Salamander games! :)

pixelman

pixelman said:

FINALLY! Contra. Awesome, that means we should see it in the states pretty soon.

King_Elemento

King_Elemento said:

Metal Gear II? Even more proof of Metal Gear ReBirth being on the way, in my opinion.
...actually, there never was a 16-bit Metal Gear, was there? This should be interesting...

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I would actually prefer the NES version of Contra. Of course I'm not so sure any of these games will come to the US anyway.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I too am kinda with Rapadash6 on this one. Many of these games were available on the NES, and ultimately I'd rather see those version made available on the VC here in the US.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

yeah i don't think the MSX came out here. All my experience has been via emulation--some truly phenomenal games though. Salamander would be great too, although we really need the VCA verison. Salamander 2 would be even better, but VCA seems to be relegated to insanely old arcade titles only.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

I want Metal Gear. :(
'Cmon Konami. at least release the NES version. Who cares if the creator of Metal Gear hates it.
I also agree with Rapdash6.

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

Superman

Superman said:

I don't see how anyone could like the Commodore. That thing was a pile of BM. So was the MSX for that matter, but I want Metal Gear anyway.

vio

vio said:

A lot of excitement here for a bunch of Japanese releases... Who knows if any of these games will get released outside of Japan.

Jeroen1

Jeroen1 said:

I grew up with the MSX here in Europe, even before the NES, so I'm looking forward to these titles.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

Wheres Majyo Densetsu II: Galious no Meikyu (Maze of Galious)!?!?!?!
Its one of the best MSX Games!!! Even my mom wathed as I played it when I was (still) a kid, and she wasn't/isn't very much into the gaming. It was also the inspiration for the Indie master piece La Mulana(Which I found, when I was searching some videos of Maze of Galious, when I longed that old favourite)

LuigiFreak

LuigiFreak said:

I would very much like to see the MSX versions of the MGS games on VC.

I never played the first Contra, let's hope it comes to America.

xesbeth

xesbeth said:

Contra on the msx SUCKS BALLS! It's nothing like the Nes ones.

However, Space Manbow, Gradius 2 and salamander are must have! Can't wait for them!

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Well, Europe did get the C64 on VC before anyone, so I say the MSX looks very likely to be our next console.

Heck, I m sure Metal Gear would give it enough attention if comes here. ;)

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

I would love to experience what the MSX has to offer. Then again, I need to pick up the pace and get the Commondore 64 games I want now available, but then once again, I don't have the money to get games monthly. Mainly because I live with my parents.

But the point is, I would love to see MSX Virtual Console's support, as long as not almost all games don't suck.

@Swerd_Murd: Insanely old arcade games? If we were relegated to that, all games would be before 1985. Which means, we would still be stuck with four games. But since we have been seeing games that were released after 1984, you are proven wrong.

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

I have no idea what the MSX is, but I think I would rather have the NES version of Contra, we already have the NES version of Super C, so it would be nice to complete the set.

Adamant

Adamant said:

The MSX was actually released in the US, but got so little exposure and got pulled from the market so quickly most people didn't know about it.
But yeah, it did get a release.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Excellent. Having a Japanese Wii made the MSX very welcome until I saw the piss-poor support for it. Having the original Metal Gear will be very nice.

Quarth is awesome, known as Block Out in America; I had the excellent Gameboy port ages ago. Parodius is my other must-have from that list.

Adamant

Adamant said:

For the record, the Gameboy port of Quarth is available on Konami GB Collection Vol.4 under the laughably generic name "Block Game". Fun stuff.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

@ Varoennauraa

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

Konami has an amazing MSX portfolio, so I'm VERY delighted to seem them putting some stuff online. Especially Space Manbow is an amazing treat for any shooter fan.

Kobayashi

Kobayashi said:

"The MSX was only released in Japan and Europe. But I didn't even know the MSX was on Virtual Console in Japan. It's a good little system."

Wrong. MSX was officialy lauched in South America too. I have one.
The Konami MSX games are awesome.

djshep1973

djshep1973 said:

I was never jealous of the Japanese VC until just now... I loved Gradius 2, and played it to death on my MSX way back when I was a kid! Happy memories indeed... :-D

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

MSX and MSX2 were both far better than NES, and Konami games there were absolute top notch.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

"Maze of Galious might be hard to put on the VC because it uses the full keyboard, you know, to type spells in-game and the such. I don't see how that could be implemented on the Wii."

Virtual keyboard.

Also F1 Spirit is a must have!!!

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

MSX had some superb games!
Space Manbow is a awesome shooter, Parodius is not the same game as on other consoles, Contra has loads of (short) unique levels on MSX, and Quarth is the best puzzle game ever, period.

Could Europe have the MSX VC please please please?

Meffaliss

Meffaliss said:

Wow, KONAMI is REALLY putting lots of MSX games o.o"
I want all of their most famous arcade games to be released as well!
In NA and europe :3