Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes Announced

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Silent Dreams announce their brand new WiiWare strategy RPG title.

Silent Dreams has just announced their brand new tactical strategy RPG title Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes that will be coming to the WiiWare service later on this year. You can check out the full press release below which gives loads of details on this new title and what you can expect from it.

Fans of roleplaying and strategic games, who are interested in round based fighting systems, should keep the name Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes in mind.

The German developer studio Silent Dreams is working on a tactical RPG
for PC Digital and WiiWareTM, that should be released in the fourth
quarter of this year.

STORY

The young recruit Drake failed at the military academy exam. He was
refused to fight for his proud kingdom Glory.
Humiliated and frustrated he wants to end his life by jumping into the
throat of brutal mushrooms. But then he learns that he's not the only
one disappointed and that there are others who can't go on with their lives.
He comes across the last depressed remains of the kingdom's army which
return badly injured from an all or nothing battle. The very battle
Drake couldn't fight in.

One of the survivors is the most popular hero of all mankind: Holy
Avatar. The arrogant knight in shiny armor tells you how a suddenly
appearing sect crushed the whole kingdoms' army.
The land Glory is overrun by creatures of the Dark Church and what's
even worse, HE, the mighty Holy Avatar, was beaten the first time in his
life.

Now it is on YOU, Drake, to recruit a force and fight off the Dark
Church before the population learns about the defeat and runs scared.
However, all the land's heroic men are deadly injured or already dead.
Only the most dubious and criminal creatures are left, deeply hidden in
the high security dungeons.

Well... and there still are the most evil creatures of all: WOMEN!

Yet they have no choice if they want to rescue the land from the Dark
Church's fanatic claws. Established are the Evil Heroes!

OVERVIEW

Title: Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes
Genre: Tactical RPG
Gamemodi: One chosen one
Developer: Silent Dreams
Release Date: WiiWare & PC: 4. quarter 2009

Distribution: The game is produced by Silent Dreams itself and
distributed online.

Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes is an ironical, storyintensive fantasy
RPG with tactical elements. It's comparable with tactical RPGs like
Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force or Disgaea. On PC the
tactical genre is virgin soil. Some features can be found in tactical
games like Heroes of Might & Magic, Jagged Alliance, Warlords or Kings
Bounty.

• Round based, strategic fights with the funniest animation which could
    ever be seen in the RPG genre.
  • In the fantasy world of Grotesque, there are beautiful woods and
    villages as well as dark dungeons ready for exploration.
  • An ironic, deep and atmospheric storyline from which RPG fans will
    still sing ballads in a thousand years.
  • Big, detailed and badtempered boss monsters.
  • The tactical RPG genre is given a brand new face thanks to amusing
    multiplechoice conversations and dialogue riddles in Monkey Islandstyle.
  • Classic RPG elements: solving storyintensive quests, searching
    treasures, trading, level and power up your party members.
  • Distinctive party members such as the arrogant hero Holy Avatar, the
    bloodthirsty vampire Solithaire and the sweet but irritable angel Angelina.
  • It's possible to rescue halfnaked virgins from the claws of evil
    monsters who will follow you as groupiepets after the battle.
  • Obsession: Every Evil Hero has its own, distinctive tic such as
    irascibility, telling endless and boring herostorys or abnormal
    jealousy. However, this negative attributes could also be used in a
    positive way in battles if the chosen one acts cleverly....
  • Programmed by the Lead / Senior Programmer of Gothic 13 Carsten
    Edenfeld and other keen, well looking RPG developers of Silent Dreams.

We'll have more information on Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes as it becomes available, as well as a full review of the game when it hits the WiiWare service later this year.

Noire

Noire said:

Hmm, interesting...I love a good fantasy SRPG. I'll definitely look into this one as more news comes out. Also, it sounds like my party will be filled primaraly with women, which is always a plus for me. That's how my Fire Emblem teams always turn out, anyhow!

Machu

Machu said:

Ah man I was super hyped (drooled over the screenshots n' all) before reading "round based fighting systems". FFS! :(

It's WiiWare though so I'll give it a punt. Looks shiny!

Anyone else seeing an LKS influence or am I just obsessed?

Vendetta

Vendetta said:

"Well... and there still are the most evil creatures of all: WOMEN!"

Ummmm, what? Who wrote this storyline, 4th graders?

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

No thank you. Just give me Swords & Soldiers, Mecho Wars, and a decent Tower Defense game, and I'm set as far as Strategy games are concerned. Strategy-RPGs are my least favorite kind of strategy game, anyways.

accc

accc said:

"It's possible to rescue halfnaked virgins from the claws of evil
monsters who will follow you as groupiepets after the battle."
SOLD!

odd69

odd69 said:

nice! this already looks well polished. i bet it's going to be good.

wmdwf

wmdwf said:

I could see downloading this... but not until I've downloaded Earthbound.

dgold

dgold said:

"He was refused to fight for his proud kingdom..." This German translated story-line comes across rather clunky, and possibly sexist, possibly funny. I like "round-based" (aka turn-based, right) because it should let you go at your own pace, pausing automatically each round. Hopefully the RPG elements are mature and developed, and the strategy elements aren't too tedious. Is there any hope yet of this title elevating girls with equal power instead of demeaning them?

Terra

Terra said:

Very Nice screens there, but as always I'll wait for a review or some impressions before buying the game when it's released.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

I read the press release, and the whole thing sounds hilarious, Im even more excited than before! :)

AVahne

AVahne said:

graphics are really nice and since its a SRPG,i'm buying it soon as it comes out

Graph

Graph said:

""Well... and there still are the most evil creatures of all: WOMEN!"

Ummmm, what? Who wrote this storyline, 4th graders?"

Well, women are indeed evil. Think about it, with their bodies then can make a man do anything. Hell, wife can make me do anything just by showing off some skin, it's like a dark power women have over men that turns us to complete drooling morons ;P

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

the game looks great and i love tactics games.
and with the women thing at times they can be pure evil, some of the best men can be destroyed by hot girl, and the trojan war was started over a hot chick

Adam

Adam said:

"Well... and there still are the most evil creatures of all: WOMEN!"

I was pretty interested until this. What the heck?

Man_with_a_hat

Man_with_a_hat said:

■An ironic, deep and atmospheric storyline from which RPG fans will
still sing ballads in a thousand years.
i think this isnt gonna happen

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Tongue-in-cheek misogyny aside I'm all over this. I simply cannot get enough of strategy RPGs!

Popyman

Popyman said:

If I get this or not will depend on the way this game treats women. So far, it isn't looking good...

Noire

Noire said:

I must have read this wrong first time through...Is the party filled with evil women or not? I for one would love to play a game with an all-evil-female cast, but I guess that's not what they meant. Yes, purchase of this will depend on the crucial roll of female fighters. I can't build a solid party without them!

Dawnclaude

Dawnclaude said:

Uhm okaaay before you appear with torches and forks... We only play with typical RPG clichees. Maybe the sarcasm of those sentence is lost by our fast translation , we will fix it next time. ;)
I saw you had some questions.
Grotesque Tatics has his focus on the RPG elements. More than Fire Emblem for example. Most of the party members will have a strong personality, sure also the women. They all evil on their own way and you must manage their special obsessions in combat.

Popyman

Popyman said:

@Dawnclaude: This sentence is what I'm talking about:

"It's possible to rescue halfnaked virgins from the claws of evil monsters who will follow you as groupiepets after the battle."

Halfnaked "groupiepets"? Come on...

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

This game sounds so fun, and if it's like Fire Emblem/Shining Force I'm all over it. It just hits me that this comes from a German developer, and what?? They worked on the PC game Gothic? That can only be very good. I hope the WiiWare port gets as much polish as the PC game!

Metal_Slime

Metal_Slime said:

I love turn based strategy games but I'd like to see a Wii screenshot. These are 800x600 and wii is only 640x480...