Top 20 WiiWare Games in USA (31st Dec)

Posted by Corbie Dillard

It's Wednesday again which can only mean one thing. It's time to take a look at the most popular WiiWare titles available in the Wii Shop. If you're feeling adventurous you can even take a look for yourself by simply logging on to your Wii Shop channel, heading into the WiiWare section and then viewing "Popular Games". It's that simple! Trust us, if we can do it, anyone can.

We compile this list using the USA region Wii Shop channel, so if you live elsewhere your list will probably be quite a bit different. Please feel free to post your region's findings below as always.

Keep in mind that the list below is a measure of actual sales made recently, not of the total time the game has been available for sale.

Here is the list for the 31st of December:

16 (19) - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
17 (17) - Frat Party Games - Pong Toss
18 (8) - Space Invaders Get Even
19 (16) - Sudoku Challenge
20 (11) - Strong Bad Episode 5 - 8-Bit Is Enough

N denotes a new entry

Once again the "big three" are hanging tough in the top 3 spots and showing no signs of slowing down. It makes us wonder what game might finally break into the top 3 over the coming weeks and break up the dominance these three titles have had on the Top 20 over the past weeks.

The biggest climber this week would have to be Fun! Fun! Minigolf which went from not even making last week's chart to jumping all the way up to the #6 spot. Not far behind it is Tiki Towers, another release from last week which climbed up to the #7 spot.

The biggest dropper this week was Space Invaders Get Even which fell a whopping 10 spots down to #18. Strong Bad Episode 5 - 8bit Is Enough also fell 9 spots to #20 which could signal the end of the Strong Bad series on the Top 20.

This week also saw My Pokemon Ranch make a surprise jump up to #9 after a slow descent on the charts over the past few weeks. It would seem that the Christmas holidays were kind to the game.

We'd also like to take a moment to thank everyone for making WiiWare World's first year a success. It's been a great year and we look forward to an even better 2009.

Happy New Year from the WWW team!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I am convinced Pong toss will never leave the charts. I guess Americans love tossing Ping Pong balls into cups so much that we need a game about it.

I wonder if Super Mario still dominates the VC top 20 charts? I'll find out when I go home later

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

The Incredible Maze is off the list! A nice way to start off the new year. :)

@Tony. Don't worry. I'm sure it still does. That plumber has pretty much cemented himself into the VC top 10. :P

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

I can't wait to see what breaks "The Big Three."

@Corbie: A while back you said you were making your own site. How's progress?

Everyone put HAPPY NEW YEAR in your post, I think it would be kinda cool to have a whole page of HAPPY NEW YEAR comments :)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Well the new site is going to be a bit bigger than first thought. Me, Daz, and Anthony are putting together a new site called "Retro Rated" that will eventually cover every console from the Atari 2600 all the way up to this last generation's consoles. It's going to be a mammoth classic gaming site that we're going to hopefully launch early next year. Think of it is a more comprehensive version of VC-Reviews. Of course we'll let you guys know the minute we get it up and running.

slambert215

slambert215 said:

@Corbie That sounds really cool.

But not as cool as my new avatar.
Gears 2 FTW... again!!
I promise this is the last time I plug my avatar. lol

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Happy New Year to you, too. Got nothing else to say, really...other than ask "why the hell is Target Toss so high?" The very concept of it reeks of FAIL.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

VC-Reviews will continue on as long as we have a Virtual Console. This new site is going to be a classic gaming review site. It really has nothing to do with VC-Reviews. I just used that site as an example of how the new site will be laid out.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Yay! My Pokémon Ranch came up!
OTL (If only that was enough to truly raise my spirits...
And no. Beer Toss has nothing to do with this.)

Objection

Objection said:

Happy New Year to everyone! Let's hope that 2009 will be an even better year for Wiiware and that we'll have quality Wii software all year round from Ninty, instead of just the first half!

siavm

siavm said:

Happy New year All here. It has been a good first year. Good games and bad ones.

shadows262

shadows262 said:

@corbie
Ok thank god!
I was getting worried but now im okay thanx corbie

So anyhow whats everyones Top 5 most anticipated games of `09?
Mines:
5: Hot Rod Show
4: Evasive Space
3: Swords and Soldiers
2: Gradius Rebirth
1: Cave Story

blockhead

blockhead said:

Top 5 of 09
5. Animales
4.Evasive Space
3. Hot Rod Show
2.Cave story
1.Swords and Soldiers(love RTS)

sorta like the one above me =P

bwaybuddy26

bwaybuddy26 said:

Top 5 for 2009
5) Eduardo the Samurai Toaster (have a good feeling about it)
4) Swords and Soldiers
3) Cave Story
2) LostWinds 2 (assuming there will be one)
1) LIT

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

Aw come on guys, only a few of you put in HAPPY NEW YEAR. You guys are no fun :P

@Corbie: Sounds awsome. I'll probably be your first member (By the ways, your reviews are awsome. They're 100% accurate, more than IGN, Gamespot, or any of those big name sites).

Now you'll be popular in two places :P

deadbattery

deadbattery said:

My Pokemon Ranch moved up FIVE spaces? turns into Angry German Kid
AAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!! grabs keyboard and smashes it to pieces on desk, then plugs in new keyboard Yet another reason why Christmas should be cancelled. At least World of Goo remains at its well-deserved #1 spot.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Target toss is one of those things I played as a kid. you basically have a tic-tac-toe board divided up into nine squares. The object of the game is to toss your bean bags onto the board so that they flip up Xs or Os. First to get three in a row wins.

Such games usually don't translate well into video games. I guess next thing you know, they'll probably try to cash in on a Wii version of Twister.

Virus

Virus said:

I'm pretty surprised both that one hockey game (Hockey Allstar Shootout? I'm too lazy to check) and The Incredible Maze fell off the charts this week. Being five dollars each, I imagined they would stay for a long time. Perhaps the casual crowd is evolving? Gasp...I sense an editorial. :P

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I'm really looking forward for Cave Story and the fall from the chart of Pong Toss. snif I'm gonna miss you The Incredible Maze :'( :P

Yasume

Yasume said:

Top 5 for 09:

5. -
4. -
3. -
2. Bubble Bobble Wii
1. Swords & Soldiers

There are way more WiiWare games confirmed that I'll probably buy, but I'm going to wait for reviews or more info/screens for those first. The 2 listed above are instant downloads. I'm also waiting patiently for the PAL release of MadStone.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

So yeah, happy new years to everyone and so forth. The reason why I didn't do this earlier is that my computer broke down and in order to post this placeholder yesterday I used the Internet Channel. Not the ideal place to post a chart from. And now when I post it finally I'm doing that from a third party location and thus I'm kinda cramped for time and it will be kinda minimalistic. No wall of text today. Don't worry Wiiloveut, it will return once I've got a computer again. And now, without further ado:

Here's the Swedish top 20:
(1) 1 - World Of Goo
(2) 2 - Mega Man 9
(3) 3 - My Aquarium
(4) 4 - Tetris Party
(6) 5 - Wild West Guns
(8) 6 - LostWinds
(10) 7 - Defend Your Castle
(9) 8 - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King
(5) 9 - Cue Sports: Snooker vs Billiards
(7) 10 - Art Style: Orbient
(19) 11 - Sudoku Challenge!
(11) 12 - Bomberman Blast
(14) 13 - Midnight Bowling
(18) 14 - TV Show King
(12) 15 - Brain Challenge
(20) 16 - Niki - Rock & Ball
(-) 17 - SPOGS Racing
(16) 18 - Helix
(13) 19 - The Incredible Maze
(-) 20 - My Pokémon Ranch

And that's it!

EJD

EJD said:

Another good chart. If I find the time I could get the UK chart on here today but I have a feeling someone will get it done before I get round to looking.

A bit late but Happy New Year to everyone on WWW. :)
Can't wait to see what 2009 brings for WiiWare.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Corbie: Next year as in...?

Top 20 WiIWare games in the UK (as of 2 in the afternoon on NYD)
1) World of Goo
15) FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: My Life as a King
16) Pit Crew Panic!
17) Art Style: CUBELLO
18) Niki - Rock 'n' Ball
19) SPACE INVADERS GET EVEN
20) Mega Man 9

Fun! Fun! Minigolf and Strong Bad Episode 5 for tomorrow, then.

Oh... and HAPPEh NOO YEAR!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

My Pokemon Ranch moved up FIVE spaces?

Well think of all the little kids with their new Wiis for Christmas.

Talicus

Talicus said:

Good to know that World of Goo is getting the praise it deserves, it truly is a brilliant game.
Too bad Mega Man 9 is dropping out of the charts fast, it deservers to do (almost?) just as well.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@ Wiiloveit - No idea. We've got our hands full with VC-Reviews and WiiWare World at the moment so we're just working on the new site when we can get some free time. We're shooting for a Feb/Mar launch, but as I said, that will depend on how much time we can squeeze into it between now and then. :)

deadbattery

deadbattery said:

@ Bass X0

Yeah. Those poor, naive fools. Destined to become sad, bitter adults who live with the regret of ignoring World of Goo. I'll bet sales of My Pokemon Colon Polyp shot up in every country.

I hear Nintendo's working on a My Pokemon Abortion sequel already; they just announced the graphics will be upgraded from "eye-meltingly hideous" to "just awful," and the game after that will improve the graphics even more, to simply "unpleasant to look at" quality.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

MPKMNR was good, i*n theory.* However, there are like 15 boxes in DP, so MPKMNR is useless due to lack of extras. Even a few mini-games would have made it better.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Corbie: Fair enough - I was unsure whether you meant this year or 2010, that's all. This new year's been messin' wit my head.

deadbattery

deadbattery said:

@ Bahamut ZERO

When I first heard about MPKMR, I was actually interested. But then the screenshots came... then the price announcement... then the reviews... uhhhh boy.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

I would probably buy it if it had good graphics. This way it would make a decent screensaver like My Aquarium. I a Pokefanboy and I still avoid that game :)

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

Wii Ware games in Germany/Europe are out.

Only 2 :( Fun Fun Minigolf and Strong Bad Episode 5.

Fun Fun with german Screentext and Strong Bad again only in english.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@ Bahamut ZERO - Yeah it will mostly be reviews of classic games, but I'm sure we'll throw in some other stuff as well to keep it interesting.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@RGVEDA: I don't want to offend you, but if they took the time to record different languages, not only would this take the fun away from the same guy doing all the distinguished voices, but it wouldn't even fit in the 40mb WiiWare limit. Ah well... if Strong Bad was European based though, you can almost bet that it would be in all the usual languages.

EdEN

EdEN said:

I'll get MaBoShi next week and maybe Gyrostarr or Tiki Towers since I'm in finish mode for LaAK (level 40 of the Infinite Spire and will not finish it until I get to level 100 of it due to the 4 medals per floor potential of it and thinking of another go in 8 months time (between August and October) of it in Hard mode as to let it age a little more.

Also finished Cubello and unlocked endless mode in Rotohex. I have yet to finish Megaman 9 with Protoman (just Wily levels left) and maybe someday I'll get the 8% left for me in the challenges.

Wiiloveit