For several months now Niantic has combined the Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour and Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hour into a single weekly event that takes place on Tuesday evenings. See below for more details.
It's also worth noting that Niantic has temporarily altered some elements of Pokémon GO gameplay in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Different countries and regions have their own precautionary measures in place, so please remember to stay safe, avoid contact with others and abide by local directives.
The Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour and Mystery Bonus Hour are two new events introduced by Niantic, the makers of the mobile game. Every week for an hour on a Tuesday and Thursday evening (currently 6pm - 7pm local time), a specific surprise Pokémon will appear more frequently in the wild or a Mystery Bonus will activate for one hour only. The former will occur on Tuesdays and gives you a chance to catch as many of the featured Pokémon as possible, evolve it with candy, and possibly encounter a Shiny version.
Although the chosen Pokémon won't be announced far ahead of time, the Spotlight Hour and Mystery Bonus Hour events occur at the same local time across time zones. This means that players in the West will get advance warning of the featured Pokémon because everyone living in the East lives in the future.
So, in this regularly updated guide we’ll let you know which Pokémon will be featured in Spotlight Hour on Tuesdays and what Mystery Bonus you'll be able to enjoy on Thursdays.
Latest Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour times: Tuesday 11th August 2020, 6pm - 7pm - Sableye
- Until further notice, Niantic is combining the Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour and Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hour into a single weekly event that will take place on Tuesday evenings (the same time the regular Spotlight Hour event took place previously)
- The next Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour will be on Tuesday 11th August 2020 at 6pm - 7pm in your local time-zone
- The chosen Pokémon is Sableye
- The chosen Pokémon will appear more frequently in the wild for the duration of the event
- Niantic has also announced every upcoming Spotlight Hour Pokémon and accompanying bonuses for the month of August:
Tuesday, August 18, 2020: Venipede will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the XP for evolving Pokémon.
Tuesday, August 25, 2020: Geodude will be in the spotlight, and you’ll earn twice the Stardust for catching Pokémon.
Latest Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hour times: Tuesday 11th August 2020, 6pm - 7pm – 2x Transfer Candy
- The next Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hour will be on Tuesday 11th August 2020 at 6pm - 7pm in your local time-zone (the same time as the Spotlight hour)
- The featured Mystery Bonus is 2x Transfer Candy
- For the month of August (as with previous months) the Mystery Bonus Hour will continue to coincide with the Spotlight Hour and will both occur at the same time on Tuesday evenings
Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour and Mystery Bonus Hour FAQ
When do Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours usually take place?
Spotlight Hours are held on a Tuesday evening every week and last for 1 hour, from 6pm to 7pm in your local timezone.
When do Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hours usually take place?
Mystery Bonus Hours are held on Thursday evenings every week and last for 1 hour, from 6pm to 7pm in your local timezone (although Niantic has combined both events for several months). It seems likely that the events will be combined permanently from now on.
What can I expect from Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours and Mystery Bonus Hours?
- A significant increase in spawns of the featured Pokémon
- Increased spawns mean increased odds of encountering a Shiny version of the featured Pokémon (Note: these are not indicated on the map - you must tap the Pokémon to see whether it's a Shiny version)
- A temporary modification from the Mystery Bonus, similar to the bonuses enjoyed during Community Day events (so double XP, reduced egg hatching times, Candy or Stardust increases, etc.)
How can I prepare for Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours and Mystery Bonus Hours?
Assuming the headlining monster is one you’re interested in, we would recommend that you start stockpiling useful items ready for Spotlight Hours. You should make sure you have:
- Enough Pokéballs and Pinap Berries to catch and evolve Spotlight Hour Pokémon
- Extra Ultra Balls and Razz Berries on hand to nab any hard-to-catch Pokémon that pop up
- Lures to draw the featured Pokémon to you might be a good idea, although Spotlight Hour events don't increase Lure time like their Community Day counterparts, so you'll only get 30 minutes from a Lure
- Sufficient space in your Pokémon Storage Box for all the Pokémon you're going to catch - you only have an hour, remember, so don't waste it doing admin you could have done beforehand
- Lucky Eggs, Star Pieces and Super Incubators on standby (depending on the nature of the bonus)
Previous Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour featured Pokémon and Mystery Bonuses – List of Pokémon from past Spotlight Hours
Past Pokémon GO Spotlight Hours:
- 4th Feb - Onix
- 11th Feb - Spoink
- 18th Feb - Generally increased spawn rates
- 25th Feb - No event
- 3rd Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 10th Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 17th Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 24th Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 31st Mar - Generally increased spawn rates
- 7th Apr - Purrloin
- 14th Apr - Magnemite
- 21st Apr - Wobbuffet
- 28th Apr - Pidgey
- 5th May - Shellder
- 12th May - Sunkern
- 19th May - Poochyena
- 26th May - Bronzor
- 2nd Jun - No event
- 9th Jun - Patrat
- 16th Jun - Numel
- 23rd Jun - Clefairy
- 30th Jun - Kricketot
- 7th Jul - Taillow
- 14th Jul - Zubat
- 21st Jul - Oddish
- 28th Jul - Buizel
- 4th Aug - Horsea
Past Pokémon GO Mystery Bonus Hours:
- 6th Feb - 2x Catch Stardust
- 13th Feb - 2x Raid XP
- 20th Feb - 2x Catch Stardust
- 27th Feb - No event
- 5th Mar - 2x Catch XP
- 12th Mar - 2x Catch Candy
- 19th Mar - 2x Transfer Candy
- 26th Mar - 2x Evolution XP
- 2nd Apr - 2x Catch Stardust
- 7th Apr - 2x Catch XP (Mystery Bonus Hour combined with Spotlight Hour from here on)
- 14th Apr - 2x Catch Candy
- 21st Apr - 2x Transfer Candy
- 28th Apr - 2x Evolution XP
- 5th May - 2x Catch Stardust
- 12th May - 2x Catch XP
- 19th May - 2x Catch Candy
- 26th May - 2x Transfer Candy
- 2nd Jun - No event
- 9th Jun - 2x Evolve XP
- 16th Jun - 2x Catch XP
- 23rd Jun - 2x Catch XP
- 30th Jun - 2x Catch Candy
- 7th Jul - 2x Transfer Candy
- 14th Jul - 2x Evolution XP
- 21st Jul - 2x Catch Stardust
- 28th Jul - 2x Catch XP
- 4th Aug - 2x Catch Candy
We'll update this page weekly, so be sure to check back if you want a heads-up for the featured Spotlight Hour Pokémon or the Mystery Bonus.