The Keep Begins Its 3DS eShop Quest on 11th September

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

One week later in Europe, pricing confirmed

Earlier this year we directed your attention to The Keep, an ambitious 3DS eShop first-person dungeon crawler from Cinemax. It'll feature multiple difficulty levels and your general task will be to explore, defeat enemies in real-time battles and solve puzzles, all within a fantasy setting that includes an evil sorcerer called Watrys.

It could indeed be promising, and it's not long until we'll see how it stacks up. The title will arrive in North America for $12.99 on 11th September, arriving in Europe for €9.99 and £8.99 on 18th September. More details and a launch trailer are promised later this week.

You can see some Alpha footage in the video below, so let us know whether this one has you intrigued.

Rezal_Knight

Rezal_Knight said:

With or with out a good review I am gonna buy this game. Reminds me of the 1st RPG I played.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Looks like a fantasy Rpg version of Starship Damrey. Animation and environments don't look too varied but it could be great.

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

How does this comment have anything to do with this game? Please stick to the topic at hand — TBD

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

I think it could be good, I've grown an interest in first person dungeon crawlers...however, my fall is a bit too packed, between games I'm hyped for and my return to school. Gonna have to take a rain check on this one, but I look forward to reading reviews.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Got me quite interested... Nearly done with Etrian Odyssey IV, and still plenty more crawlers to go, but if the reviews are good enough, I'll fit it in somewhere, maybe wait for a price drop.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Last kind of game like this I played was Orcs & Elves on the DS, but I didn't enjoy it much, but I will have to wait for a review.

TonLoco

TonLoco said:

Love me some dungeon crawlers but I have to finish Etrian odyssey IV first.

RougeLeader

RougeLeader said:

done with Etrian, a least for a good while. i love beholder style dungeon crawls. its good to see pc style RPG on 3ds

onery

onery said:

Wish they'll put out Grimrock for either WiiU or 3DS... that said, getting this :p

RougeLeader

RougeLeader said:

also its great to see low numbers to begin with rather than the japanese style of 999 dmg right away

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

Well this looks kind of like Grimrock, which I own but have yet to play.
So, yeah... guess I will stick with that for now. :p

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

Reminds me of Orcs & Elves, which was easily one of my favourite NDS games, played through it in one sitting ...
Unfortunately, not many 1st-person-dungeon-crawlers since then managed to capture my attention the same way, I'll wait for reviews then.

Abziwabzi

Abziwabzi said:

Does look very Legend of Grimrock-y, especially with a rune spell system. It seems to be selling itself as more-or-less a portable Grimrock, which is fair enough.

Great that it seems to be an actual first-person experience - as opposed to the party of adventurers from a first-person perspective you usually get. Makes sense for slimming down the interface, and should provide a more personal experience.

Having big issues with its art style and assets though. Everything's so bland and devoid of character on the top screen. (Am saying this as someone who's enjoyed the genre since Eye of the Beholder.)

If there's a demo, I'll try it. But the game's just too ugly to excite me at the moment.

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

orcs and elves was more like a fantasy version of Doom, this reminds me of the old dungeon crawlers from the late 80s early 90s. I enjoyed them a great deal then but the trailer looks a bit repetitive. It may be worth taking a risk at that price though.

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

@Manaphy2007 Of course I know about EO, and I like it quite a bit, but it plays quite differently. I played EO1 back in the day, and I've got EO4 on my 3DS, but haven't had time to get really into it. It is a bit grind-y for my taste.

@Raptor78 Well, there is certainly something to that, considering it is also an ID Soft game, but on the other hand O&E is no fps, and Doom was not turn-based ^^ Although the implementation in O&E allows for some rather fast-paced playing, despite being turn-based. I can't really put my finger on it, why I liked it so much, but I really did. I'm still royally pissed that O&E2 never made it to the NDS, or anything besides mobile really. I would have even played an IOS version, if there had been one.

netroz

netroz said:

Classic RPG dungeon crawler like the classic Dungeon Hack and all those 90's PC games.
I'm interested, but will wait for a review first.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

September 11 in North America, huh?

As I make my way through the maze-like corridors of the pentagon-shaped dungeon, I take a look out a nearby window...aahhhhh, there's an airplane on a collision course with the dungeon!!!!!

Too soon?

zool

zool said:

....looks a bit smartphone'ish without adds and a £9 price tag.

ReaperX30

ReaperX30 said:

NIIIICE! I've been waiting for this one. I just can't get enough of crawlers like this so it's a buy for me anyway. I hope it was worth the wait.

aj_fowl

aj_fowl said:

@Ralek85 actually there was a version of doom that played like O&E on iOS. It was called DoomRPG I believe.

Also, there's a game series called The Quest made by Redshift on iOS. There is a PC version. The demo is quite long.

Ralek85

Ralek85 said:

@aj_fowl Right, I actually played that one, too, since it was basically the same thing, just in the Doom setting. If I hear "Doom" though, "DoomRPG" on my iphone is not the first thing I think of, esp. since most people never ever heard of that in the first place. ^^

I'll look into The Quest though, thanks.