Steel Diver: Sub Wars Gets an Upgrade to Version 3.0

Posted by Alex Olney

More than 3.0 reasons to download

Nintendo has updated its unconventional shooter Steel Diver: Sub Wars to version 3.0, as promised last month. This isn't just a stability update either – prepare for some serious tweaks to the formula. The update is global, so no matter where you are you'll be privy to the spicy new additions.

To save rifling through miles of wordy text, here's the tastefully edited official list of updates from Nintendo's support site:

-Adds Friend Battle mode, allowing users to play with people on their Nintendo 3DS friend list (Premium Version exclusive)

-Adds ability to access the submarine shop in the Free Version

-Adds three new submarines to the Premium Version that can be unlocked after playing a certain number of Local Play matches

-Two new stages have been added to Local Play and Friend Battle matches: Underwater Rings and Underwater Plant

-Adds eight new crew members to the Premium Version

-Submarines hit by their teammates' torpedoes will no longer take damage, but damage points will still be deducted from the attacker's score

-Adds ability to send short pre-set messages in Morse Code chat using the directional pad

-Joining an online match in the Free Version now requires just one Play Coin instead of two

-Other adjustments have also been made to balance the game and make for a more pleasant gaming experience

The game is free-to-play, so if you haven't played it and this list gets your gaming juices flowing, you can pick it up on the 3DS eShop for absolutely nothing. Please be aware that the free version does have limited functionality.

Has this convinced you to take the plunge and dive, dive, dive, or will you remain ashore?

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

FishClip

FishClip said:

Interesting. Can anyone recommend this game? I haven't been that interested in it, but since Nintendo has been so keen on experimenting with Free to Play I guess I should just try it out myself.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@FishClip It has a rather huge following on Miiverse. One that often get people banned lol. Just like any fps this one has clans and some serious players.

As for the game itself it has a ton of strategy. You can collect crew members to upgrade certain stats that taylor to your playing style along with subs with various different stats. Its a much more slower paced fps but that where the strategy comes in. I've only played a few hours though.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

This sounds like good. Let's see how it goes though. Update 2.0 I stopped once I had to play with any level and couldn't make much progress over those who had played lots. Though I would like to build up and get all the subs someday.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I'm still not quite convinced... I think I just need another person who will consistently play with me. I guess I'll just try to convince my neighbour.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I tried steel diver free version & hated it a few month's ago blehhh... Why can't they update Rusty's Real Deal Baseball? Love to see a update for Rusty some more DLC. ;)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

agqwestern

agqwestern said:

Still cheeky that they want you to spend your hard-earned play coins to go online in the free version. Also RUSTY'S REAL DEAL BASEBALL FOR EUROPE PLEASE NINTENDO

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

Great update simply for the Friends feature. Already tried it and it works great. I see it says they've improved the Mechanic. He was already one of my must-use crew members, so that's nice, and the faster torpedoes if you're moving forward is very interesting.

Really cool they keep improving this game.

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

@Barbiegurl777 I really want to see that sequel they're teasing at the endgame, too.

That "spoiler alert" is kind of asking for it.

@agqwestern Part of why I'm not playing this is because I'm still trying to finish my Puzzle collection, so I'm grinding for pieces.
Oh, and they may not release the game because we all know Baseball is only big in 'murica and Japan! Shame, since it's a refreshing take on both the minigame collection and F2P niches.
@Spoony_Tech Don't FPS communities have this large subset of players that are just asking for it? The ban, I mean.
I mean, the way I see it, the Sub Wars community isn't only active, it's rather tame.

arnoldlayne83

arnoldlayne83 said:

Hooray!!! I loved this game, I got the premium pretty fast.... now it is time to update the thing and clean my submarine periscope from dust! :D

arnoldlayne83

arnoldlayne83 said:

And, above everything else, I am happy they cut down friendly fire... lately the server were full of some jerks....

alex167

alex167 said:

The 3 new submarines will be impossible to unlock to people who don´t know anyone with the game in order to play local matches. Does anyone know if free version lets play local matches?

Porky

Porky said:

I didn't know the free version required play coins to play online. I played a few online matches release day and I didn't pony up any.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@alex167 Heh, always here to help.
@The_Ninja Nope and I doubt they're ever bringing it here considering the type of game is since well..submarines using Morse was the only means of communicating amonst other submarines. Heh, there' preset messages at least to alleviate some of the pain though

Yes. Friend options and the other updates. I'mma buying the Premium version next week! Watch out shipmates!

reali-tglitch

reali-tglitch said:

This game is definitely one of my eShop favorites.

I think the only thing that could make it better is to have a WiiU version that has cross-platform multiplayer. That would be incredible.

ollietaro

ollietaro said:

Free-to-play, or not; I just don't know how excited I am about a submarine shooter although I will say it sounds more interesting than a lot of eshop titles. For eshop, the best games are the retail ones when they go on sale ;)

ollietaro

ollietaro said:

What eshop needs is Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark for 9.99-14.99 and more HQ games.

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

@JoshTheBaws If you can, check out fluffyclan.weebly.com so you can get everyone else's FC. Then we can do that tournament.

If you're not able to, let me know here, and I'll just post them here, maybe.

Mine's 1332-7785-4494

Klimbatize

Klimbatize said:

@TimeGuy I had no idea you were on this site. You're one of the few people on MV that doesn't make my eyes roll right out of my head.

I'll add you when I get near wifi again.

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

Having sunk tens of hours into this game, I honestly can't recommend it enough. It takes some getting used to at first, especially if you're used to conventional FPS games, but this really is a deep and tactical experience. There's a heavy emphasis on choosing the right sub and crew members to suit your play style and, more importantly, on teamwork. The Premium Version really is a good deal, given that they've consistently upgraded it at no extra cost.