Have Some Gorgeous New Super Smash Bros. Screens, Because Why Not?

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Previously shown in Famitsu magazine in July

As it's a lazy Saturday afternoon, we thought it'd be a good opportunity to relax and bask in the glow of some particularly appealing Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS screens that have emerged over the past week.

The background for this batch is that they were published across two separate issues of Famitsu magazine in Japan in July, and Nintendo of America has now issued them to be shared in the West. Some are relatively distinct as new images, while others are subtle variations on what's been seen before; if you need proof that these were indeed originally published in Japan, one of the screens has some language that you can attempt to translate.

The screens cover a few different characters, the Special Ring stage and the Smash Run mode in the 3DS title. Enjoy!

Special Ring

Little Mac

Rosalina and Luma

Wii Fit Trainer

Smash Run

Related Games

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

These games are going to destroy my free time. I feel like I should shrink my backlog some because Smash is going to make it worse.

NintendoFan64

NintendoFan64 said:

Can the Luma grab mushrooms? I ask because in the 4th Rosalina and Luma screen, he looks a little...bigger than usual.

S3OL

S3OL said:

Man I can't wait. Already have the Wii U version pre-ordered. All I need now is an XL and a copy of this.

Time to resume getting rid of backlog I guess.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

This game will take my life away. This and Hyrule Warriors. I get to play as Sheik in three games this year! (Both Smashes and HW)

tjhiphop

tjhiphop said:

Look at Pac-Man's shoes in that second to last screenshot. They look a little different, don't they? Perhaps an alternate costume? Or at least one of his colour swaps.

erv

erv said:

Wii fit trainer hoola hoops you, playing toon link, into a flying ko. Anyone not buying this game is hereby declared insane and lacking of taste, humour and fun.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

There are a ton of games releasing in October, but this one is my most anticipated. Yeah, even beating both Bayonettas.

And of course I want the Wii U version more than the 3DS one.

outburst

outburst said:

If they make a cool-looking SSB-themed 3DS XL pre-installed with it, I may not wait for a Metroid-themed 3DS XL anymore and finally buy a 3DS. ;)

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

You have no idea how hopeful I became that a new Sonic stage was announced when you said Special Ring.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Screw Hyrule Warriors and the 3DS Version of Smash Bros.
I just want SSB U, a 2 liter of diet crystal pepsi and large a hot 'n ready Noid Domino's pizza.
Ya diggy? :*

tj3dsXL

tj3dsXL said:

@WaveBoy The closest thing to Crystal Pepsi i've been able to find is this drink called Neuro-BLISS ! It comes in a smaller blue bottle and is crystal clear/ the taste of it reminds me of Cry. Pepsi however its go more of a berry-sweet after taste as oppose to that "pepsi-twang" that the good stuff had in it ! I miss it too !

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Smash Run looks like a lot of fun. I believe I'll spend plenty of time playing that.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@NintendoFan64
Can't believe no one responded. No, it's Rosalina's final smash, where she summons a Grand Star from Super Mario Galaxy (although it just resembles a giant Power Star).

@Knuckles
SAME HERE.

@WaveBoy
I believe I can say the same about the WiiU version. You know, Smash on the go? I'm sold, because what I've been waiting for ever since Melee. That's a whopping twelve years, you know.

@Azooooz
Why would that ruin the wait? It just intensifies it!

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

Honestly can't wait to get my hands on both versions. My son and I are going to be playing it together all the time.

BlueBlurIxM

BlueBlurIxM said:

@NintendoFan64
It's one of Rosalina's custom moves.
In the Famitsu article the picture got a description(translated): "The Luma becomes larger for a moment and protects Rosalina. The usual Luma is otherwise weak and would have been blown away."

rjejr

rjejr said:

@shigulicious - um, sorry, or your welcome. Either way you got me beat, I've had Call Me Maybe in my head all day after showing my kids the Star Wars mash-up this morning. It's a great Mashup but ugh that song.

Grimlock_King

Grimlock_King said:

These 2 games are going to be amazing! And you have to admire how zero suit samus borrowed bayonettas shoes.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

I'm more a Bayonetta / Hyrule Warriors fan myself.
Haven't really ever enjoyed the competitive nature and the single player mode is really one dimensional.
I can appreciate the game if it sells systems, but it's really just an excuse to roll out some fan service on Nintendo's part.
The two titles I mentioned might be a little over the top, or a little heavy handed, but I've enjoyed them in the past.
Smash is just Nintendo doing the SOS. New gen, new Smash. It's HD... and that's it.
If this is the future, I hope the company folds. Be better off peddling Mario and DK on PS4, iPhone's and XBOX than recycling ideas constantly.
At least Zelda is a decent spin on Dynasty Warriors and Bayonetta is just 2 and not 4 or 5.
I feel too realistic and jaded to like Nintendo for their 'freshly dragged through the mud' games and constant financial drama. Maybe gaming in general is just a tired concept. Framerate and resolution is so important now, maybe I'll join an AMD fan page, so I can talk directly with people about what gaming's 'all about now'.
Or I could just never spend another dime on this hobby and go live outside of western society's privilege over posterity.

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

Sorry internet, that means I'm not interested in buying or playing Super Smash Bros. for either 3DS OR Wii U.

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

@NodesforNoids Well, we're all lucky for the simple illusion of choice~

And Nintendo has really gotten creative with their titles lately, surely a nearly annualized franchise and a fighter game that's always going to appear on a Nintendo console should balance thing out.

By the way, Nintendo is making a loss simply because they're spending way more than they used to just to try finding new blue oceans. Well, another term for R&D.

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

@NodesforNoids Totally agree. I never ever liked super smash brothers. It was a succes on N64, but i never ever got a copy of it. On the gamecube however i did own it and i was like what's the hype about this game? Then i realised that people/kids are playing this game because of their favorite character. To me chasing each other @ each stage is to me very boring. It just feels so flat. I played a few matches and i had to put it way. Just not my cup of tea. However i would be happy for Nintendo of course if this game will make an other console seller, but i still feel like it's the same gamecube/N64 game with upgraded graphics. Gamewise all the same.

drewb0203

drewb0203 said:

Why so much hate towards SSB for 3ds? To me it looks better than the Wii U version. The Wii U version doesn't have any modes or interesting features yet. It just looks like Brawl with better graphics. While the 3ds one has Streetpass, Some Angry Birds type minigame, Smash Run, some sort of Wii U functionality, and the stages are more unique. Graphics don't matter to me honestly. Don't forget that NSMB2 Coin Stage!

RaphaBoss

RaphaBoss said:

@drewb0203
Haha, true, but they're focusing on the 3DS to people buy it, and then when it relases, they will start showing Wii U stuff.

timtimdaunholy

timtimdaunholy said:

i'm getting it on wii u for sure but not sure on the 3ds, cause i have the small one not an XL. (it just seems to small for smash)