Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition Release Details Pinned Down

Posted by Jowi Meli

Need-to-know info before you rock the guac

Yesterday, Nintendo Life snagged an interview with DrinkBox Studios' level designer Jason Canam about bringing the much-lauded indie gem Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition to the Wii U eShop. Today, we can also divulge when exactly you'll be able to get your hands on it: 2nd July, for $14.99/£11.99/€13.99.

The original Guacamelee! was critically acclaimed for its striking visual flair, addictive combat, and use of the fan-favorite Metroidvania style of gameplay — including a few winks and nods to those venerable franchises ("Choozo Statues," anyone?). This new version for Wii U, of course, adds several features worth mentioning, so here's a list courtesy of DrinkBox:

· Expanded Story – An expanded version of the game that includes new content and all DLC from the original
· New Game Areas – Players will ride boats through the Canal of Flowers to save a besieged fishing town, and avoid lava as they climb through the fiery Volcano
· New Boss – Face off against the deadly Trio of Death, a three-headed skeleton that lives in the Volcano, who helps the evil Carlos Calaca build his skeleton armies
· New Abilities – Maximize destruction with the powerful new INTENSO combat mode and dish out scrambled pain with powerful Chicken Bombs. Plus, swap dimensions independently in co-op play using the new Shadow Swap ability.
· New Enemies – Lethal new elite-class enemies that want to chokeslam luchadores to sleep
· Support for multiple save slots
· Dual currency system that supports permanent item unlocks

We'll be previewing Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition soon, so make sure to check back for another look at this stylish brawler. In the meantime, let us know what you think of the added content and tell us if this one's on your list to purchase when it comes to the eShop in just two weeks' time.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I seriously respect this game, it's just one of those titles I'll probably miss out in favour of Hyrule Warriors and a summer purchase of the game I actually got my PC for... Rome TW 2

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

Stoked this is coming so soon. With Shovel Knight and Armillo releasing in the next two weeks, July looks like a pretty great month for indie games. Throw Pier Solar HD on top of that and I've easily got enough until One Piece UWR, Hyrule Warriors and the Bayonettas.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

I absolutely loved Guacamelee! on my PS Vita last year. In fact, I've played through it three times now, but I'll still grab it for my trusty Wii U when it hits the eShop in a fortnight :-)

NL — are you sure it's out on 2nd July guys? Only that's a Wednesday.

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

This is one of my favourite games of 2013. Please buy it everyone that hasn't already!

HylianJowiStaff

HylianJowi said:

@AcesHigh73 The information we got from DrinkBox directly states the release date as 2nd July — I know games generally release on Mondays in Europe and Thursdays in North America, but since this is releasing simultaneously in both regions it just sort of falls between them.

EDIT: Nevermind, games release on Thursdays on both regions. I'm full of it. ;) -JM

Mercy_Lost

Mercy_Lost said:

@PvtOttobot Aah R2TW! Been playing that too recently, shame it's so broken!!

On Topic: This is good, the industry needs more metroidvanias, especially good ones like guac! Hopefully Iga's lecture at GDC will intrest some indie devs, and Iga himself might have something in the works!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Mercy_Lost The industry has plenty of Metroidvania's this isn't one of the good ones though. Indie or normal publisher there are loads that are better than this.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@AcesHigh73 @HylianJowi - It's releasing on the PS4 (no PS3 version this time around so there went that option) - on July 1 in the US - normal Tuesday update day - and July 2nd in the EU - normal Wed update day, so who knows?

Usually pretty busy July 4th weekend in the US so maybe not day 1, maybe week 2 :-)

2 questions - hopefully answered this afternoon -

How is this game rated? - is it too bloody and graphically violent and language offensive for my kids? This originally released around the same time as Shank so I have the 2 commingled in my head.

Are we getting the equivalent PS4 "Trophies" in game? I know Nintendo doesn't do trophies per se but I know Swords & Soldiers had them way back on Wiiware, I think I got about 17 out of 20. They would be good for the Miiverse community.

2Sang

2Sang said:

This is the most hilarious name ever. I'm interested solely for the name.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

YES YES YES! move over Shovel Knight! (I'll get you as well don't worry :P)
Glad I skipped this game on my 360. I love metroidvania games <3

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

This would be a triple dip for me (Vita+PS3 and PC versions already owned), but 14 euros...
Oh and all Nintendo fans should give this gem a chance, it's full of Nintendo references and the overall quality is huge, you can't miss this game guys

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

The damsel in distress goal is very tired, but I do like the look of this so I'll probably give it a go.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Yes Yes Yes!!!

I'm looking forward to the new INTENSO ability. Maybe now I can beat the [one of the spoiler bosses] on this dang Hard Mode! :O

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

My indie backlog on the Wii U is starting to become ridiculous. There's Scram Kitty and Ittle Dew, plus my precious Shovel Knight next week, and then Guacamelee. And all of that during the World Cup! My day only has somany hours, unfortunately, but I'll get there eventually. :)

HylianJowiStaff

HylianJowi said:

@rjejr The original was rated E10+ for Fantasy Violence, Mild Blood, Suggestive Themes, and Use of Alcohol. I'm sure we'll see a comparable rating for this one.

AcesHigh73

AcesHigh73 said:

@unrandomsam Couldn't disagree with you more! Yes there are plenty of Metroidvania's out there, but Guacamelee is one of the true greats. Platforming, combat, exploration, art style, score, story/premise... ... Guacamelee has got everything going for it.

darkswabber

darkswabber said:

I was planning to buy it on my wiiU, but a certain console (PS4) changed these plans 2 months ago.

Emblem

Emblem said:

@darkswabber Welcome to the multi-console club, serious question, why buy it on the PS4 over Wii U (or at all) if you have both consoles and it will be free on PS+ in a few months?

smikey

smikey said:

@HylianJowi

Wii u e-shop games release on thursdays in the uk / eu & have done since it's release.
The release list is normally out on a monday but you can normally check that yourself by going in the wii u e-shop anyway.

As for the game it's self I want it & I will buy it but it won't be anytime in the next few months.
I buy far too many games on day one e-shop that I don't get around to playing for ages only for them to have a million sales before I do.

HylianJowiStaff

HylianJowi said:

@smikey Whoops, you're right! I'm in the US, as should be obvious now, so I just went by the 'Nintendo Download' updates as you mentioned. Thanks for the correction!

Shambo

Shambo said:

@OGGamer Those were the shots that made me sad it wasn't on Wii U, but angry enough to NOT get it on anything but a Nintendo System. It just wouldn't be right, if you know what I mean.

@Mercy_Lost Best comeback ever. Now, let's go bowling.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

"... and your view to the contrary is in the distinct minority"

Ugh, I hate when people need to point out that a person is in a minority in order to invalidate that person's opinion. I mean, don't get me wrong: Unrandomsam is blatantly wrong - There's no such thing as a bad Metroidvania, only good and great. But still, just because a person might be in a minority doesn't mean their opinion doesn't hold wait and their criticisms don't matter. An opinion should be judged by its content, not by the amount of people who agree.

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

I used to have a PS Vita and PS3 and was always curious about Guacamelee. I guess I will have to wait for it to come out and see how the Wii U one is.

Ralizah

Ralizah said:

Started playing this today, and already couldn't help noticing the sheer volume of Nintendo references on display. Glad this is coming to a Ninty console, as this is a fantastic game.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

I'm excited to play Guacamelee on Wii U for the first time!

I saw Guacamelee running on a PS Vita demo at a Bestbuy and I thought the game looked cool.