Wii U Software Has a Boost in U.S. Sales as LEGO Takes Over

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Decent portable LEGO sales for Nintendo

In what's one of the quietest NPD sales updates of recent times, some limited details have emerged of April physical retail sales in the U.S. There's a relatively minor piece of positive news for the Wii U, while the software top 10 has an air of familiarity and one brand showing continued strong form.

In terms of software, the results are below, with platforms listed in order of sales:

1. Titanfall (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC)
2. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)
3. NBA 2K14 (Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC)
4. Minecraft (Xbox 360)
5. Lego: The Hobbit (Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS, Wii U, Vita)
6. The Lego Movie Videogame (Xbox 360, 3DS, PS3, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, Vita)
7. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Xbox 360, PS3, DS, 3DS, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One, Vita, PC)
8. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U, 3DS)
9. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3)
10. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, PC)

The three latest LEGO titles are certainly having an impact, with the 3DS version faring well for The LEGO Movie Videogame, though the DS version has impressively stolen a march for LEGO Marvel Super Heroes. The results are less pleasing for LEGO: The Hobbit, and Nintendo iterations are low in a few other top 10 titles. A positive note is that NPD analyst Liam Callahan has stated that Wii U software sales in April were more than 80% higher than in the equivalent month in 2013 — a solid result considering a quiet release slate, but to be taken in the context that the 2013 figures were likely rather low in the first place.

As for hardware, very little data has emerged. We know that the PS4 was the top-selling console and the Xbox One second with 115,000 sales. Coming in below that One figure represents a relatively quiet month for 3DS, though that's on the basis of excellent sales standards, and the absence of any official word from Nintendo suggests that there's little to write home about. For Wii U, the focus will be on the May and June results, in seeing whether Mario Kart 8 can drive a major increase in both hardware and software sales.

LEGO and the usual contenders maintain software dominance in what was a quiet month. Happy news in terms of Wii U software on an upward trend, though Nintendo's silence suggests that it's waiting for all-important future results.

[via gamesindustry.biz, venturebeat.com]

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

This is SO irrelevant! PC comes last in every sales record because people only use steam! How does this even count, the Wii U is known to sell masses of it's software digitally, it's just not fair!

Emblem

Emblem said:

@PvtOttobot Yeah its pretty pointless, digital sales are up to 40% across consoles and PC its like 90%. Plus a lot of games now are digital only releases so its hard to get an accurate picture.

MAB

MAB said:

Now that digital is storming over the games industry rapidly it's time to throw those old physical charts & figures where they belong ;)

Untitled

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@PvtOttobot If the Wii U was selling masses of digital sales then they wouldn't be in the current financial problem they are. I bet the rate of the just over 6 million users who dl is less then 10 present. While not bad it's not going to pull Nintendo out of trouble. I'm talking retail dl's only here.

These charts suck this month. As a matter of fact NA charts suck in general!

Mahe

Mahe said:

"Excellent sales standards"? That's not just spin from Nintendolife, that's outright misinformation.

@PvtOttobot And then this guy manages to top even that with complete fabrications.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I don't see how it's 'unfair', it's just a report on physical sales. I'd be pretty sure there are more digital sales on the other consoles than Nintendo ones due to a more robust account system and far better sales. Nintendo keep saying how revenue from digital sales have gone up, but they never mention a percentage, and with a press release, if they don't mention it, it's probably because it's not impressive. The only game we've seen an actual percentage for was Bravely Default which was under 10% digital. For comparison, Sony have said Vita games sell evenly 50% each for physical and digital.

Once again no Nintendo titles in the top 10, but look at the abusive comments towards the UK market when the same happens there. No Nintendo games on UK chart results in people saying they should pull out of the 'biasesd' UK, but no Nintendo games in the US chart and the comments are 'ah, who cares?'.

Blast

Blast said:

Minecraft...? Can that freaking overrated game just go away?!?!??!?!

MAB

MAB said:

@Blast Need more Minecraft? well, how about putting the kids to bed with some short stories... Only $9.99 while stocks last ;)

Untitled

PJR0cks

PJR0cks said:

@Peach64
Well, there wasn't any actual games released by Nintendo in April, and this isn't the individual format chart, maybe things will be better with Kirby and Mario golf when the may sales show up, but overall you're right, the only really good thing going on for Nintendo is 3DS in japan, other then that we don't hear any good news from any other place.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@MAB
Not my retail games! The only Ninty game I ever digitally downloaded was the Wonderful 101 (it truly was wonderful). I just like having physical copies because I can trade them, sell them, and buy them used. Especially with handheld games. My brother and sister aren't going to buy their own copy of Mario Kart 7 when we can just download play it.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@MAB
Is there a reason that this exists aside from greed? I can just imagine what they are.
"Once upon a time, there was an ugly skeleton. He was so ugly that everyone died. Also, he shot everyone around him in the face. The end."

tovare

tovare said:

I only get digital copies on Wii U when possible, although I do have Disney Infinity on disc because there's no other option (And I'll get Mass Effect 3 one day, just hesitating because it's on disc).

dumedum

dumedum said:

Impressive, the Wii U has six games in the top 10. Who says there aren't multiplats on Wii U.

Action51

Action51 said:

From the article:
"The results are less pleasing for LEGO: The Hobbit,"

Hmm...maybe the decision to release it two weeks after all the other versions might have had a little something to do with that?

Also, March - April seems to be the doldrums in terms of video game sales. With the exception of Titanfall and Infamous, not many big overhyped releases.

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

@mostro328
I'm not using a HDD on my Wiiu but I have a Seagate HDD that I have connected to one of my Humax freesat boxes which turns it into a PVR or DVR 'whichever you prefer. I find it to be fast, silent and pretty cool.

Seagate are the market leader in HDD's

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Nintenjoe64

I know alot of guys here have Seagates, but I will say this. I have owned 3 Seagate 500GB hard drives, and all three failed on me. 2 of the 3 failed within 6 months of purchase. I used to work as a PC repair tech, and we NEVER used Seagates for backup. There's a 3-year Blackblaze study that associates Seagate brand HDDs with up to a 25% failure rate. Other companies, like Western Digital, averaged a 3-4% failure rate in comparison.

Just thought you should know.

joey302

joey302 said:

I never download digital if I can get it retail...for many reasons...my collection for one thing

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

@MAB You go ahead and do that then. Do you know what's really going into that trash truck in your animation? Your rights as a consumer. You have fun buying all your games digitally and being unable to sell them, loan them, and even play them in the future. When the Wii U is 20 years old, people who went physical will still be able to play their games much like people can still play NES games today. But people like you who went digital will be screwed because your original Wii U broke and you can't redownload your games onto a new one because the network has long since been killed for Wii U (and because Nintendo doesn't allow that anyway).

Digital fanboys are very strange creatures. "Look at how superior I am for buying a blatantly inferior version of a product." Yeah, we're all impressed.

@JaxonH I have owned more than 3 Seagate hard drive and none of them have failed on me. Just thought you should know.

GC-161

GC-161 said:

@mjc0961 - "When the Wii U is 20 years old, people who went physical will still be able to play their games much like people can still play NES games today "

^^^ Using EMULATORS? I suppose in 20 years it will be very possible to play those games on emulators.

But since you're assuming things here, let me do the same and say that in 20 years we might have a Nintendo console that lets us play old Wii U games on a future version of the Virtual Console. Just like it exists today to play NES games.

Either way, the future is bright and I gotta wear shades.

"But people like you who went digital will be screwed because your original Wii U broke and you can't redownload your games onto a new one because the network has long since been killed for Wii U (and because Nintendo doesn't allow that anyway)."

^^^^ You mean like it wasn't possible to transfer ALL and every single one of my Wiiware/Virtual Console games over from my old Wii to my Wii U? Because you can transfer 99.9% of what you had on Wii over to Wii U.

And even if your Wii was busted and not working, Nintendo is still able to transfer your VC/Wiiare games over to the Wii U. Just using the Wii's serial number.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@mjc0961

I don't presume to think every single person who owns them will experience a failure. However, I felt the 3-year study combined with my own personal frustrations with the brand warranted a mention.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

@mjc0961 Watch out! The propaganda police are here! I've seen Nintendo replace the digital library of a stolen Wii U, so I'm pretty sure they'll replace the library of a broken one.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

@JaxonH I have a Seagate that still works but your experiences are very common with them from what I've since heard anecdotally. I'd probably steer clear of the brand, personally.

Shpongled_Mario

Shpongled_Mario said:

@GC-161 Let's say Nintendo goes out of business, then you won't have any of your downloaded games :p I'm a physical guy, I don't have a problem with people who download, I just don't want to see physical phased out. You both brought up good points by the way.

GC-161

GC-161 said:

@Shpongled_Mario I don't think physical games are going to be phased out any time soon. I think people who think that way are overreacting.

What's more annoying, though, is when those same people set out to try and shame or harass people who are going digital. That's just sad.

In regards to your imaginary scenario, You and I both know that Nintendo is not going anywhere. Worse case scenario? Nintendo ends up getting bought by Sony, MS or some other company. And we'll still have our games available in some manner.

But the reality is, ever since Nintendo went digital, the games we bought didn't get lost in the transition from one console to another. If that was done from the very start, we can assume that it will happen again whenever they release their next consoles. The key is to avoid being too negative about it.