Video: These Mario Kart 8 Players Are Getting Rather Immersed in the Experience

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Two fresh commercials emerge

Nintendo has released quite a variety of commercials so far for Mario Kart 8, ranging from straight-up gameplay sequences to a quirky series that recreated items and features in a fictional real-world wacky lab. Two fresh commercials go for a mix of both ideas, while also showing off the game's local multiplayer selling point.

We'd expect these to pop up on TV in the coming days — one shows a photogenic group of friends playing, and the other an equally camera-friendly family, as in-game actions are sort-of recreated in the living room. If we had gaming chairs that behaved this way, we'd never leave the house.

Check them out below and let us know what you think.

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

These were a little cringy, but get the point across I guess - would be fun if they one day showed the true emotion of being hit by a blue shell right before the finishing line! :D

Dr_42o

Dr_42o said:

Just take my money already Nintendo.. If they allowed pre-order on eShop, my money would already be theirs..

Kiz3000

Kiz3000 said:

The NA ads are miles better, but hopefully these show the family friendly nature of the game.

Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano said:

At least it gets the point across that you can download 1 of 12 titles for free if you register MK8 with Club Nintendo. I feel that's one of the most important things to notice about the game.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

They are horrible...and why are they so unprofessional? They don't even have a voice over. They are really bland. Have you seen the japanese ones? Showing gameplay the whole time, and a voice over that basically makes you think "This game is the most important thing ever".
The NA ones are pretty good too.

Lobster

Lobster said:

Pretty good commercials, actually. I hope they get spammed to hell and back!

SleepyCrossing

SleepyCrossing said:

I liked the first one with the "photogenic" group of friends. You can cut the err.. romantic.. tension with a knife! Hehe, kidding. But I think the first commercial is a better way to sell games than the stereotypical family idea. Kids don't want to see commercials about a game they can play with parents IMO.

Aran

Aran said:

I like them! Besides, there aren't that much commercials about Wii U games. I think Nintendo should return to their marketing back to SNES and Nintendo 64, those were really amazing commercials, and some were a little more serious or aggressive. But I doubt Nintendo will ever return to those days.

BlueBlurIxM

BlueBlurIxM said:

@Shiryu
True.
But if I'm lucky enough I'll get it tomorrow.
It's my last chance to get it early.. Tomorrow or on releaseday. :'(

... :P

noctowl

noctowl said:

If my couch doesn't move around during playing I'll be very disappointed.

Mahe

Mahe said:

@Chubblings Having the Gamepad featured in the ad will automatically diminish its appeal. MK8's sales will be a far cry from Mario Kart Wii's days.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Dang it, Mario Kart 8 is not apartment friendly. Gees, that living room was the size of my entire apartment. Guess I'll have to cancel my preorder...

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

ads misleading, InB4 they get removed because your chairs don't actually move like in the AD...

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

@Mahe Obviously it won't compare to the 30+million sold from MKWii, but Nintendo already announced that the Wii U is now profitable for them. Advertising MK8 for Wii U won't get them to Wii sales numbers, but it'll still be a profitable affair. I know many people who are buying a Wii U for Mario Kart (and Smash Bros), so if advertised well, it could still print money (not as much money as the Wii though).

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Not bad. These could have done with an announcer - maybe even the same "flippin' fun" dude. Come to think of it, I think those commercials were altogether more fun to watch.

Uberchu

Uberchu said:

@Action51 lol :p

made my comment based on the first Wii U ad over their being pulled. If they pull that one, why not remove these too? I was lied too! chair cannot move when playing Mario Kart! WTH Nintendo scammed me!!!!1111

Would love to see that happen.

BlackStar9000

BlackStar9000 said:

I liked it enough, sure ghe whole family this is kinda a wash but that's how you sell to old casual parents. As I kid, i loved the old GET N OR GET OUT! Commercials. Its seems only Sony still uses the old school way of advertising with a modern flair. They still use the same sound effects and splash logo from the 90s too, and i love that.