Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Twenty Six

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Fairy! Big Dog / Small Fighters! Diddy!

Just as it looked like last week would be light on Super Smash Bros. reveals Masahiro Sakurai hit us with confirmation that Diddy Kong will be a playable character once again, keeping up the momentum and hype for the 2014 dual release.

Beyond that new challenger announcement, the Super Smash Bros. Director's Room once again included some images there just for fun, and others that reveal a little about how the game will play. A well known item from the Zelda franchise will offer some healing respite, for example, while the sizes of characters seemed to be a theme.

So, as always, last week's screens from Sakurai-san are below for you to enjoy; you can click on the date heading to visit the Miiverse posts in question and give them a Yeah.

17th February

18th February

19th February

20th February

21st February

Some interesting shots this week from both versions, so let us know what you think in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (310 votes)

Mega Man feels Little Mac's knockout power

21%

Peach is an interested observer as Bowser eyes up the fairy

22%

If that Nintendog mistakes Dedede or Mega Man as toys, there'll be trouble...

10%

Samus and Little Mac, the odd couple

29%

Diddy Kong stretches out to prepare for battle

14%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

First vote and comment!

Gotta love Little Mac taking on Megaman. never thought I'd see the day.

Goginho

Goginho said:

There's something so wrong about that first picture. It's like he's punching a giant parade balloon or something :P lol ..so I'mma have to go with Bowser & Peach, Diddy, and the 3DS image, since those always look good.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Didn't have to see the other pictures to know which 1 I was voting for. Question is - can Megaman take a punch? He looks kinda glass jawed there.

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

I'm really looking forward to trying out Little Mac! I've never played a Punch-Out game, but I think I'd be good with his fighting style. He'll be a nice addition to the roster.

B-Squared

B-Squared said:

Samus and Little Mac. Now, I don't ship but...they're being shipped so hard right now!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

That Megaman pic reminded me of the big headed characters from Tekken 2. I still voted for Bowser, as it is a reference to 3D World.

Raycon

Raycon said:

@rjejr Don't worry. He's used to taking abuse. Everyone interpret that how they want.

Also, Mac's punches can send anyone reeling. That Mike Tyson match is totally canon in my mind.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Eh, wasn't that interesting of a week (even when putting Diddy's reveal into account).

Bowser is my favorite due to the subtle nod to 3D World. That and his pose looks so silly.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Well, Mega Man took quite a punch in the jaw from Pharaoh Man so I'm sure another one won't kill him.

Poor guy though...everyone's out to break his jaw.

Edit: I wonder if they purposefully chose Mega Man to get punched in that picture because of the cartoons...

Yosher

Yosher said:

Bowser and the fairy! Nice reference to Super Mario 3D World. I don't care much for Diddy personally, really- and his hands just look creepy like that, eugh.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

The fairy in a bottle doesnt makes any sense. In the games, it only heals 8 hearts, while when you get a heart container, it refills them all.

ToniK

ToniK said:

Man, the 3DS version will sell a significant amount of copies. I'm still not hyped because I have never ever played or even tried any Smash Bros. game. Seriously, what's up with that?

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

@ToniK I actually think the Wii U version will sell more copies than the 3DS version outside of Japan. But seriously you NEED to play a Smash game! It's my favorite series of all time! it's just that good!

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

If only there was a "choose all" option because all pics are good really, shows more about new characters, we now know that a bottled fairy is a new item, etc.

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

@Gridatttack In the first Zelda and Link's Adventure faries did indeed restore you to full health, A Link to The Past started the trend that only Heart Containers do that (in the first game they'd just add a heart and give you 1 heart back).

Melkac

Melkac said:

"The smash bros series doesn't stay true to scale"

That...is that supposed to be a...?
...R-Ridley?
Sakurai, don't you DARE tease me.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I voted for Diddy's debut; he's one of my Brawl mains after all. It was also cool of Sakurai to make a reference to Bowser's fairy kidnapping in Super Mario 3D World with the Fairy Bottle pic. It seems odd that it's more powerful than the heart container since the heart container means more in the Zelda series, but when you think about it, it's strange that the fairy bottle wasn't an item before.

Also, it was funny how Sakurai made that "Smash Bros. doesn't always stay true to scale" statement without him or his translators realizing how the Ridley supporters would seize on it.

Melkac

Melkac said:

Also...how many healing items are there in the game? 4? 5? Isn't that...a little too many?

FireHorsePrime

FireHorsePrime said:

How is it that Rare didn't take Diddy Kong with them when they left? Too bad we don't get Conqer or Banjo in the fight.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@Xtremetdifan Because Wii U screens are prettier. They're going to show more shots from Wii U since it's in HD instead of the 3DS version, which looks worse than Brawl. Makes perfect sense.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@FireHorsePrime Because Diddy was made in conjunction with the Donkey Kong franchise and so Nintendo retained the rights. Conker and Banjo are independent series and never belonged to Nintendo.

thesilverbrick

thesilverbrick said:

@DestinyMan There's a big difference between what Smash does to series like Pikmin and Kirby in terms of scaling and what people are suggesting with Ridley. Each series stays true to scale (i.e. the Mario characters are sized proportionately to eachother, etc.). All the Kirby characters, while larger than they should be, are proportionate to eachother.
If you shrink down Ridley and not Samus, it'd look ridiculous seeing them side by side. Samus fighting a giant Ridley is an iconic image in gaming and if he suddenly shrunk, it'd look stupid...

Adam

Adam said:

Mega Man looks like he has such an unusually enormous head next to Little Mac.

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

Will there be a side scrolling type adventure in this one like the last? I think I liked that most about the last one with doubles.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I like these new shots.

And did anyone else have to get a system update today for the eShop? Because I did. Took only a few seconds though, so I don't know if its just for patching or not.

Gashole

Gashole said:

Couldn't care less for these screenshots. There's still no release date, and I'd rather play the actual game than look at photos.

ToniK

ToniK said:

@PrincessEevee9 I sure hope so but that would require some serious install base growth. To me it seems the 3DS version will be a bigger hit worldwide. This is just my own speculation after observing the Wii U situation from the start. I love my Wii U though, it's already my favorite console of all time and the Wii U version of this game probably will be the better one :) Not sure if it will sell enough consoles though when so many people already have the platform to play this game. Which is 3DS. 43 million of them.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

@Gridatttack It might be more of a reference that it can revive you from any condition, including death, which a heart container cannot do. In that respect, a fairy is more powerful than a heart container.

Kiokothepirate

Kiokothepirate said:

I'll be curious to see how the game plays on the 3DS. I remember back when I was a little one I would dream of taking Smash with me where ever I went. I may have to splurge and pick up an XL when this game comes out.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@thesilverbrick: I'm not advocating for Ridley's inclusion, but I do dispute the notion that Ridley would look stupid if smaller. Did he look stupid in the original Metroid? He would just be smaller, that's it.