Weirdness: Japanese Gamer Clears Ocarina Of Time Using Only His Feet

Posted by Conor McMahon

Saving Hyrule is by no means an easy feet

Ocarina of Time needs no introduction. It's a title that has been explored through speedrun after speedrun, exploited and researched tirelessly for different ways to complete it, and today it will even be featured on Awesome Games Done Quick's fantastic charity streaming event. This particular playthrough, though, is in need of some serious attention.

A Japanese gamer going by the name of Wakou has apparently decided that Link's most acclaimed adventure was just a bit on the easy side, and so set himself the astounding challenge of completing the entire game using only his feet. It's all documented on Japanese video-sharing site Niconico in a series of 20 videos at about a half hour each.

You'll need to register with the site to check out the full playlist, but you can watch his first tentative steps right now on Kotaku. Alternatively, check out a sample of Wakou's Mario Kart playthrough below.

It's certainly impressive, and reminds us of a similar Ocarina accomplishment by MegaTGarrett who you can see here, starting off in the dreaded water temple. The catch? He's completely blind. It all just goes to show that where there's a will, there is probably a way. Those out there unfortunate enough to have their gaming experience impaired can still play just as well as anyone else with a little effort, and he made it through the dungeon with a completion time many would envy.

Do those final waggles of Wakou's toes make you teary-eyed as Ganon is defeated?

[via kotaku.com]

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It seems there is always a way to make games harder, but not always a way to make them easier.

This reminds me of those Japanese players who could beat RE1 in under 3 hours by using only the knife.

skjia

skjia said:

"Saving Hyrule is by no means an easy feet"
That made me chuckle. I can always count on Nintendolife for a good pun or two. :D

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@sinalefa Except for the boss fights, its absolutely doable, since you can outrun almost any encounter. Its basicly the point of the game really. Youre not there to kill these things, youre just supposed to run away and survive ;)

@topic I once could beat MegaMan 2 with my feet and could finish certain stages of MegaMan X3 blind :D

Zach

Zach said:

"Those out there unfortunate enough to have their gaming experience impaired can still play just as well as anyone else with a little effort"

I know you didn't mean it that way but it sounds a bit condescending. Like, blind people could play as well as anyone else, if only they used a little effort!

jsubbuteo

jsubbuteo said:

I am envious. I have CP and play mostly one handed and find many games especially game pad only games daunting.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Well, this is certainly a talented person. There must be an untold amount of hours of practice that must have been reached for him to do such a thing. Talk about dedication!

seronja

seronja said:

holy cow i have problems playing ocarina of time with my bare hands! then this guy shows up -.-'

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Japanese people, bless their hearts. That black and white training scene was priceless! xD

MAB

MAB said:

This would be awesome... Then I could drink 2 beers and play at the same time ;)

Nareva

Nareva said:

This made me laugh. I could imagine doing this with my brothers when I was a kid. It would be funny at first, then the humor would wear off, but stick with it and it becomes even more hilarious. It's certainly an achievement.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Saving Hyrule is by no means an easy feet.

I see room for another pun here.
"Saving Hyrule is by 'toe' means an easy feet."
;)

Dave24

Dave24 said:

"It all just goes to show that where there's a will, there is probably a way"
Of course, Rick Renstrom is the living proof of that :)

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

wow the best I could ever do was playing Kirby 64 with my feet(while playing Pokémon Crystal with my hands)
but playing OoT with the feet is a whole new level

blinkpunk02

blinkpunk02 said:

And just like that he ensures nobody anywhere will ever accept one of his used consoles lol.

Adam

Adam said:

I once tried playing Bit Trip Beat's four-player mode by myself. If the paddle's didn't shrink quite so much, it would have been do-able. Two-handed Bit Trip Beat is still fun. I should try just two feet one day. Nice way to keep hands open for a sandwich.