Renegade Kids Regains Publication Rights to Moon

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Rumours also sparked by "Moon Chronicles" trademark

Jools Watsham, co-founder of Renegade Kid, has proven a master of the teaser this month. He recently said that the studio was preparing an announcement for "FPS lovers and 3DS owners", bringing to mind the company's early days on the DS and prompting some to express a desire for a sequel to Moon.

The rumour mill is grinding into gear now, with Renegade Kid confirming that it has now regained publication rights to Moon, following the expiry of a five year agreement with Mastiff Games.

In follow-up comments made to Polygon, Watsham stated that he's certainly interested in working on the franchise in the future.

We're very excited to have one of our babies back home in the Renegade Kid crib. Moon is a game we are incredibly proud of, and have always wanted to do more with Major Kane's interstellar story.

Due to various reasons, we weren't able to pursue these wishes in the past, but now we have the freedom to explore the 'Moon' universe. This is a very exciting prospect for us, and something I think many fans of the game will be happy about.

Eager spotters on NeoGaf have also posted a recent trademark filing by Renegade Kid for Moon Chronicles, with Watsham engaging full nudge-nudge-wink-wink mode on the matter on Twitter.

Of course, the upcoming announcement may not be Moon-related at all, but it seems odds-on right now.

We shall see, but in terms of building awareness and anticipation? Well played, Renegade Kid.

[via polygon.com, neogaf.com]

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

Comments that an FPS is in the works for 3DS, regaining of the Moon IP, and filing a trademark for Moon Chronicles, all quite the co-inkydink if you ask me.

Volmun

Volmun said:

I was always tempted by Mood for DS but never got around to getting it. Someone told me it was similer to Metroid id realy like to see it on the 3DS (and mabe a 3DS remake of the 1st? )

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

'Renegade Kids' in the title?

Glad to see them do this, they could easily grab the 3DS FPS market if they play their cards well, which they already seem to be. :P

gurtifus

gurtifus said:

Please Renegade Kids guys, would you mind focusing on only one FPS at a time ?
We're waiting for Cult County !

Beechbone

Beechbone said:

I really liked "Moon", I thought it was the next best thing to "Metroid Prime: Hunters" when it comes to FPS on NDS. Would be awesome to se a follow up to this on 3DS, without all the hardware limitations of previous gen.

And now, how about that Treasurenauts release date?

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

Can't wait for Moon on 3DS, Cult County and hopefully a Modern War style FPS. Big fan of FPSs, so anything that Renegade Kid releases as FPS, i'm getting. Went to Gamestop and got Dementium II. Awesome and scary. Now looking for Dementium: The Ward and Moon. Can't seem to find them at any Gamestop anymore. Will keep looking.

When is the big announcement this month on the FPS that Renegade Kid is working on? Any specific day this month?

thanos316

thanos316 said:

moon for the ds was a great game. i hope it can make its way to the 3ds. these are the types of titles that should be hitting the wii u. but good to see this game back to renegade kid.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I kinda wanted them to go back to the 2D Metroid roots for an eshop release (it started life as a side-scroller and evolved into an FPS in order to please potential publishers). I'm hoping for an original FPS IP tbh.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Was I the only one not, well, over the moon for Moon? It was technically impressive, but the limitations of the system's control scheme made simple movement frustrating. I put it down after encountering a spot I couldn't pass. The idea of a 2D continuation (per @brandonbwii) of the story actually makes me much more excited.

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

It´s time for the first FPS on the 3DS. I don´t know why there is none at the moment. 40 Million 3DS sold in the world should be enough market for a FPS.

Kmno

Kmno said:

I actually liked the first game, it is not GOTY material but it is good nonetheless, also I agree we are due for an FPS on the 3DS, I think the machine has potential.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I loved FPS games on DS, especially the later CoD games. It would be nice to get some more shooters on 3DS :)

Shambo

Shambo said:

Moon was a great game, but as a horror fanatic, I'd love to see dementium return too...

RR529

RR529 said:

As I haven't played the original, I wouldn't mind if they released a graphically enhanced version on the eShop, like they did with ATV Wild Ride.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

Fantastic. Cult Country, Moon, and Ironfall. Looks like the 3DS is finally getting some quality shooters.

McGruber

McGruber said:

I did really love that game. It is a hugely underrated game and I would like to see something done in that vein. I think moon 3DS will be a treasure to own one day