BBC is "Working to bring iPlayer" to the Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It's still a thing, then

While the Wii U has some useful apps for TV viewing, including examples such as Netflix, it's still short of some key features. Those with TVii in North America can lord it over those missing out in Europe, for example, while another absentee to date is BBC iPlayer, which did feature on the Wii. Thankfully it is still apparently on the agenda, as stated by the corporation's senior product manager Peter Lasko.

He actually confirmed that iPlayer is still on the cards for the Wii U while answering questions in a blog post relating to its arrival on the PS4. The reply was posted on 5th December but spotted over at Nintendo Insider.

We follow a clear process so that we can get iPlayer onto devices in a scalable and maintainable way. We worked with Sony in this way for the PlayStation 4. We are working to bring BBC iPlayer to both Xbox One and Nintendo Wii U in the future, but we have no further details to share at this time. We have no immediate plans to bring BBC iPlayer to Apple TV or the PS Vita.

Naturally there's no timescale provided, which could mean its arrival is anything from the near future to interminably delayed — it's already been over a year — but it's still a recent acknowledgement that the system is in the company's plans.

Did you use the Wii BBC iPlayer app much, or perhaps the equivalent on other consoles?

[via bbc.co.uk, nintendo-insider.com]

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Meh. Most of the BBC iPlayers I've used on consoles have been of awful quality.

Spoony

Spoony said:

I like the BBC video apps a lot. I will be very happy when it makes its way to Wii U.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

PLEASE YES PLEASE. I doubt it'll go beyond the UK but there's always wishful thinking :) I <3 the BBC. I want my Kangaroo Dundee, Attenborough, Doctor Who, Winterwatch, Bargain Hunt, Antiques Roadtrip and Sherlock on Wii U right NAO.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Currently my Wii U is connected to a smart tv but it will be great to have this on there once the Wii U gets moved.

open

open said:

Finally!

Really shouldn't take that long - should take less than a week for one guy to make and another to optimise, especially since it was already on Wii before.

LoBo

LoBo said:

I hope SKY and BT follow suit ,would love watching Premier league Football on the Tab & Movies in Bed ...

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

I used to use it a lot on my Wii, even if the quality was crap.
Wii U does need this,so I hope this comes soon.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

The Wii version was pretty good. Not sure why they replaced the Mac version with the featureless "downloader," but the iOS app is quite good. I would probably use the Wii U version over my computer browser if the streaming is stutter-free which hasn't been the case when using youtube or vimeo through the Wii U browser.

Byron-3D

Byron-3D said:

@Sean_Aaron I have no problems with YouTube and the wii u browser it plays in 720p without a glitch, it's so good infact that I packed my PC away and put it in the loft (I only used my PC for the net/tube anyways)

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Well I've not used either for a long time. Could be one of the updates improved things.

Quirky

Quirky said:

I guess this is UK only, right?

TVii in Europe in general is more or less impossible, as Nintendo would have to make dozens of deals with all the different channels. Then who'd do all the coding to get a channel up and running? Nintendo? Seems like a logistical nightmare.

placidcasual

placidcasual said:

I think Iplayer would be great on the gamepad, you'll be able to watch some great content without monopolising the tv. A very good thing imo

DJKeens

DJKeens said:

Guess there's the trade off for TVii (depending on how long it takes to release). I'd love to have this here in the states. Kills me having to wait so long for BBC shows. I'd gladly trade if it meant I'd get to watch Doctor Who less than six months after they air.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@theadrock13 - 2nd HBO Go

At least it makes a little more sense on the Wi U than the PS3 as you can at least take the Gamepad a few feet from the tv. Go on the PS3 but not the Vita is odd. I cant imagine Go on 3/2DS, wrong audience. Probably won't happen on the "family friendly" Wii U either, but it would be nice.

TheAdrock

TheAdrock said:

@rjejr , Probably not, but as to "family friendly U"... Nintendo said they were going for a complete home AV entertainment system. I'm just not seeing the commitment from Nintendo to capture that share of the market.

edhe

edhe said:

If this was 5 years ago, and 'Have I got News for You' was still watchable, this news would excite me.

As such, I have no reason to watch the BBC any more - I can't remember the last time I actually turned it on to a BBC channel to watch something that wasn't the news.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Is it not available on the Wii anymore?? Havnt used it in ages but assuming it's there.....Wii mode!!
If not then I'll welcome the option. Although I probably won't use it.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ULTRA-64 That Wii mode version is not very good. There is good things in both the Android version (Download for viewing later) and the version on my smartv HD and perfect when it comes to the streaming aspect. If the Wii U version does both of those things then it might be worth using.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I used to use the Wii iplayer alot but now use the iplayer built into Youview. I'd still love to see it soon on WiiU, I hope at the same time they move Lovefilm & Netfix into the TVii section.
A folder option to clean up my WiiU pages too please! (like the 3DS ones but more than the first letter showing)