Video: Super Mario Soup Helps Drag Kids Away From Super Mario Game

Posted by Damien McFerran

It's like some kind of food-related paradox

Nintendo is no stranger to working with food companies to promote products, and the Japanese giant has now teamed up with soup maker Campbell's to create the ultimate post-gaming pick-me-up: Super Mario Soup.

As you can see from the commercial below, it's the ideal way for parents to lure their excitable offspring away from the captivating appeal of the Wii U.

This could be seen as piece of clever secret marketing by Nintendo — given the poor promotion of the console this year, getting the Wii U in this commercial could boost awareness among parents. Or perhaps it will do the opposite, and dissuade them from ever letting their children near a product so addictive that the only way to overcome it is to tempt them with delicious pasta shapes in steaming soup. It could go either way!

[via youtube.com]

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Nice. I may have to pick up some and keep the can after I eat it. Mmmm not really, but Mmmm... :D

Thank you Nintendolife. It's 4am and I've suddenly got the munchies... :p

Daemonite

Daemonite said:

Yeah, SOUP, just the merchandise we needed... drink soup like a plumber, kids!!!... whatever that means...

tsm7

tsm7 said:

I saw the commercial a week ago and almost immediately bought some. Then I remembered it's probably gross. Apparently, it's been on shelves awhile now.

micronean

micronean said:

I suddenly got nostalgic for the Super Mario kraft dinner of the late 80s early 90s...

AidenPearce

AidenPearce said:

I dont mean to be negative but the more they so this the more they hurt their image, what happened to just advertising the system and games with all ages enjoying it?

rjejr

rjejr said:

I don't think my kids will eat chicken soup but they do like the Mario fruit snacks.

I think the best part of the commercial is the over extensive use of Mario game sound effects.

BTW - saw a SM3DW commercial on tv last night during Dreamworks Dragons Defenders of Berk. Which doubly impressed my kids as before it was on I said " I Really hope we see a SM3DW commerical tonight" and my kids said "why" and I said "because the game comes out tomorrow". And lo and behold...

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Looks like I'll be getting these so enough, but they certainly can't keep me from Super Mario 3D World!

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Most Campbell's soup that has kid's brands has a different stock and just tastes pretty bland and awful. THIS however is Chicken Noodle proper just with different noodles.

Makes a nice video game metaphor actually. Nintendo keeping the quality up even in soup. :)

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

This is a great example of how two companies can benefit from marketing together. What a clever idea! Whoever thought of this should get a raise.

Ha, I'm sooo gonna look for this soup at the grocery store today. :-P

Phle

Phle said:

That was pretty cute (^_^) It would work on me, although I'm not a kid.

MaximusMansteel

MaximusMansteel said:

I know I have two Mario "Power Up" energy drinks set aside for tonight's 3d World marathon. Just seemed appropriate.

TheSonicdude97

TheSonicdude97 said:

I remember SEGA's Sonic Campbell soups, and the one commercial back in the '90s where the kid wouldn't stop playing, he just caught the can thrown at him and (somehow..) placed it in his Genesis/Megadrive~ XD