We Opened Up The Nintendo 2DS And Found A 1300mAh Battery Inside

Posted by Damien McFerran

Same as the original 3DS model

We've been spending a lot of quality time with Nintendo's new 2DS console, and one of the first questions people have about the machine is how the battery life shapes up when compared to the 3DS and 3DS XL.

Family Gamer's Andy Robertson will be answering that question in more detail as part of his Parent Trap blog on this very site, but for the time being you might like to know that the 2DS comes equipped with a 1300mAh battery — the exact same size as the one which shipped with the original 3DS model.

That means the console will offer roughly the same battery life as the original 3DS with the 3D slider switched to "off".

So now you know. Carry on.

cookiex

cookiex said:

Wasn't it already confirmed that it'd have roughly the same battery life as the original model?

orravan85

orravan85 said:

Either way, the complete exclusion of 3D and the "single screen" should have some effect on the battery life. At least I would imagine it would. OH! *forgot about the MONO sound. That should factor into it as well.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I imagine with some tech developments it will have a longer battery life than the original.

orravan85

orravan85 said:

Then; conduct the "flight of stairs" test. Where upon it is dropped down a flight of stairs.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

My original 3DS battery lasts for a pretty good amount of time with 3D off and power saving mode on.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@orravan85 - "OH! *forgot about the MONO sound. That should factor into it as well."

Just what I was thinking.

Mono sound in 2013. Technological & marketing evolution at its finest:

Drop 3D to 2D,
drop stereo to mono.
advertise increased battery life.
Profit. ;-)

Mahe

Mahe said:

No stereoscopic vision - no stereo sound!

But seriously, mono sound isn't really a big energy saver compared to stereo. And everybody uses headphones anyway.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@unrandomsam But you're powering a bigger single screen - screens largely draw power through illumination. The same space is being lit, so it shouldn't make much difference...

You'll have to wait for Andy's battery test video to see for sure ;)

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Is this really a surprise? We already know the 2DS is a budget production, and by using the same battery as the 3DS, which they already have, they save even more money.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Meh it's Nintendo. They'll cheap out as much as they possibly can. Perhaps they'll try to increase profits later by selling higher capacity batteries that would still fit in the original slot and back case. Battery tech has been getting better. I've seen a Chinese bluetooth game controller smaller than the 3DS that packs a 2000 mAh battery.

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

Don't care at all, I'm perfectly fine with my first 3DS acqua blue model within the great Niko's Power Grip, my 3DS' battery life lasts forever

Platypus101

Platypus101 said:

@rjejr I had no idea that people in this day and age would still know what mono was, much less replicate it! Seriously though, are they gonna ship out with those old single ear "mono-buds" from the 70's? Stereo would not have hurt... In fact I would have considered one for myself... Maybe. :P

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

Mono isn't a big deal, I'm not the target market but I pretty much always use headphones for better sound anyway.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

I'm really curious as to what the Single Screen really looks like and how they get it to display 2 images...
Like someone said above, please open it up all the way...

Joygame51

Joygame51 said:

I think that some 3 to 5 year olds(TARGET GROUP) or so might enjoy this but the folks who like BETTER not cheaper... will find this a bust.

Squashy

Squashy said:

Yeah I had assumed it would have the same battery as the normal 3DS, I'm not sure why people are moaning about it though because the whole point of the 2DS is to be as affordable as possible. As for the mystery of the battery life, I have cracked the case! I would love to say I'm some kind of Sherlock Holmes style genius but the truth is simply that Nintendo have put everything we want to know on their UK website (and all the others probably). This is what it says for battery life:

Nintendo 3DS games: 3.5h - 5.5h (3DS: 3h - 5h / 3DS XL: 3.5h - 6.5h)
Nintendo DS games: 5h - 9h (3DS: 5h - 8h / 3DS XL: 6h - 10h)

Here's the page

Can I have a cookie for my detective work Damien? :)

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

I am still waiting on a 3DS Lite that has over 2 times the battery life of the originla and isn't freaking ginormous either. I'm not big on the XLs.

realar

realar said:

I despise that battery!!!
The worst thing about 3DS is its mediocre battery life.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Koto

They may cheap out but still their consoles are made to last.

And regarding the single speaker, it is indeed better to use headphones. I tried them when playing Dark Moon and I never looked back.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@rjejr mono sound is all the iPad and iPhone have, both get atrocious battery life in game but are advertised for how long the battery lasts playing music through headphones. I know because I currently have an iPad and had an iPhone not long ago. The owners of these rediculously priced devices complain that Nintendo isn't porting games to their devices because app gaming isn't quite as fun as the 3DS.

Nico07

Nico07 said:

@Koto I'm sure there is some cost savings involved, but higher capacity batteries also add extra weight. The Wii U Pro controller lasts longer than the 360 controller but also weighs more. When producing a handheld largely to be used by kids weight is also a factor because of the combined weight of other components (gyroscopes, accelerometer, screens, motherboard, speaker, cameras, joysticks, battery) inside.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Nico07 I didnt know the iPad was mono, and people pay $500 for it still? I knew about theiPhone, I had a iTouch 4 for a year before I traded it infor a Tab 2 7". 2 speakers on the bottom, $200.

I dont really think it matters if its stereo or mono, but 2 speakers woild sound better than 1. Even the Gamepad has stereo speakers and thats technically just a controller.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Nico07
It wouldn't add that much more. I don't find the Pro controller any heavier. Vita has a bigger battery than the 3DS but it doesn't feel much heavier. PHONES have much bigger batteries than the 3DS but don't feel much heavier in use anyway, even if they are slightly heavier.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Nico07
Lol, not at all. I've gotten much weaker over the last couple years. Nintendo's just cutting costs, and hoping that people will get used to 2-5 hour battery life.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@sinalefa Nintendo's consoles used to be made to last. Circle Pad's wear out far too quickly.

I had to have one replaced after only 3 months.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I'm very dissapointed! They screw up on the battery on the original 3ds, then have to release the xl with bigger battery and now they release another iteration of the console and screw up on the battery once again! What are you thinking Nintendo, get a grip.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

either im stupid or i dont see how this is really news? i just thought this was obvious they would use the same battery as its about the same size as the original 3ds so why would they suddenly come up with a new one and not to mention this handheld is about saving money so duh?

Squashy

Squashy said:

@unrandomsam I've always felt that the Circle Pad feels really good quality. No offence intended but you must have been really rough with yours for it to wear out in 3 months!