Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams Aiming For August Arrival on the Wii U eShop

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Has been sent to Nintendo for approval

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dream, from developer Black Forest Games, was confirmed for the Wii U eShop earlier this year, after a successful crowdfunding campaign brought the game to PC last year and to the Xbox 360 and PS3 in recent months. For those awaiting the Wii U arrival, the good news is that it's not far away.

A spokesperson has confirmed to Joystiq that the Wii U version has now been submitted to Nintendo for approval, with the studio hopeful that, barring any issues, it'll be available in August. Some retro gamers may be tempted due to memories of The Great Giana Sisters, while Giana Sisters DS first hit the portable, much to our delight, back in 2009.

Not sure whether this one is for you? The trailer below, from the game's launch last year, certainly shows some rather pretty platforming and interesting mechanics; we don't have to wait long to see how it stacks up. After a bit of a new software drought it's worth also noting that August looks like a promising month for the Wii U eShop, with DuckTales Remastered and Cloudberry Kingdom also on the way.

[via joystiq.com]

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

Oooh, cool. I'm sort of glad I never did end up buying it on PC then, I'd rather play it on my TV with something like the Gamepad.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

This game is so fun, I think I'm going to buy it again when it's released on wiiU, it's really worth it. It's a really fun and challenging platformer. Everyone who loves 2d platformers should buy this game.

sletari

sletari said:

It has as switching mechanic that reminds me of Mighty Switch Force, looks cool

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Back in May, I got a copy of Giana Sisters DS from Amazon. I'll have to try this one out.

smashbrolink

smashbrolink said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Indies are the future of third-party gaming.
There's so much incredible talent just OOZING out of that side of the industry lately.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

One of my most anticipated e-Shop games of the year. Will be getting it day one for sure!

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

This or Duck Tales? Either way, I might be about to buy my first game in six months...

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@cornishlee get both, this game is loads of fun and there's tons of secrets to find if you explore. This game is great value for the money.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

These guys are also making a Turrican game. I heard good things about this, so I'll definitely grab it.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

Well keep in mind this game is probably only going to be $15 or less. One advantage you do have is you can look up the pc version and see people's thoughts on it. If it makes you decision any easier, this is fairly challenging, you die quite a lot and there's checkpoints everywhere, they're pretty necessary. There's also time attack and hardcore mode(no check points) if you're really up for a challenge.

If you're into a challenge you'll love this, if not get ducktales first then this later. Though I'd bet both will go on sale in the future.

SpinelessOyster

SpinelessOyster said:

I remember hearing about this a bit ago. Glad to see it coming to Wii U, might have to pick it up if I have the funds. August is looking to be a busy month for me and my Wii U.

Yosher

Yosher said:

.. are there actually SISTERS here this time? Like, is Maria back? Not just Giana? Hard to call a game ''Giana Sisters'' when there's only one character to play as.

Otto-Soq

Otto-Soq said:

I have this on 360, and it is a really cool game. Some parts are hard, so beware.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

I played the PS3 demo and i couldn't stand the framerate....it's too bad they couldn't get it running in 60fps, this is a sidescroller for crying out loud. games running in 30fps on any HDTV suffer from frame doubling which delivers a haneous nasty effect. But yup, it looks pretty but i didn't find it that fun. :p

Give me Shovel Knight and Ducktales Remastered please. :*

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

It always feels a bit ironic to see the Great Giana Sisters on a Nintendo platform, seeing as it was originally a straight rip off of Super Mario Bros.

The nostalgia alone makes me interested in this game but I'll wait for the NL review.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@CaPPa Get it on Steam for £2.59 right now tell you whether you want to pay at least 4 times the price for it on the Wii U.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@SparkOfSpirit I hope it is good I have been playing the Dreamcast version of Gunlord quite a bit recently. (Total Turrican Rip off but its pretty well done and pretty recently released. Cannot justify the £300 Neo Geo cost for the same game).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@smashbrolink Thing about some of those indie developers is without someone else doing much of the hard lifting (Something like XNA or Unity3D) they are not technically that good. (Some of the Linux / Mac OS X ports are absolutely dire). At least with the 3DS I think you don't get any hand holding. The other ones don't have the good fun games. (Ones that worked for major studio's then went indie). The problem is not totally solved yet. (Other than for Steam/Windows).

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Pretty fun game, I got it on 360. I have not completed it yet though, I need to get back to it.

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

This game looks awesome! I like how, for me anyway, some of these indie games for WiiU are coming from nowhere taking me completely by surprise. It's exciting!

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

Already have it for 360. Great game, and it gradually ramps up the difficulty, like any good platformer should.

Kifa

Kifa said:

Played the early demo on my PC (with a gamepad, for those who will jump out pointing out the... "obvious disadvantage of playing with a keyboard") and the game did not catch my interest, so it's a skip for me. That said - world switching mechanic is quite interesting.

Lobster

Lobster said:

This looks to be quite good! I'm not a fan of sidescrolling platformers - or any platformers for that matter - but they are a gaming mainstay and it's thrilling to see one (hopefully) executed well. This one reminded me favorably of some classics.

Is it going to have that bad*** music or is that only trailer music? Because that music kicked some serious you know what.

speedyboris

speedyboris said:

@Lobster That music is actually in the game. It's awesome.

The best thing about the music is, the instrumentation changes depending on which character you're playing as, and it seamlessly changes on the fly.

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

Since it's an indie title it's be reasonably priced. Nintendo on the other hand would stick a moustache on it and charge us $80.

Oh wait, they actually already did that.

Got it on Steam already as a nod to the devs and couldn't put it down. This will be great on WiiU. More indies to the rescue.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

@Sceptic Um, which Mario game did you get for $80? (unless you're talking about those austriallian prices or some other-world prices that I'm not aware about?)

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

I will not fall for another SideScroller running in 30fps....This game looks awful in motion based on what i played of the PS3 demo(Coupled with the frame doubling that HDTV's suffer from with 30fps content), just like Trine 2.

60fps should be the standard, but these silly devs are trying to squeeze in every trinket of toobular detail they can to make it a graphical showcase. looks great static, but that tis' all. Sidescrollers should NOT be 30fps! :p