Spin The Bottle Will Adopt A Unique Pricing Structure For Wii U eShop

Posted by Damien McFerran

Buy early, get more for your cash

KnapNok's Creative Director Lau Korsgaard has been speaking to us about the forthcoming Wii U eShop party title Spin the Bottle, and has revealed that the studio is taking a unique approach to pricing.

The game will launch with a low price point, which then rises as more content is added over time. However, if you buy early, you get that content for free when it becomes available.

Korsgaard told us:

We are planning to use something different than other eShop games. We will release cheap-ish but increase the price of the game as we develop more content. If you buy early you will get all future updates for free. Our plan is to release two more updates in 2013 - each time raising the price a bit.

We want reward the early adopters of the Wii U while still being able to earn money on the long run.

Korsgaard also told us that the release should be early in July, but wasn't able to give a solid date at present.

What do you think of this strategy? Let us know by posting a comment.

Rafie

Rafie said:

I'm not mad at that. Enticing folks to get the game early on so that they don't have to pay a higher price WHEN you become more popular. ;) I'll bite!

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

Huh, so is this like the WiiU eShop version of selling the alpha or beta of a game then? I don't mean this in an accusatory way, or anything like that, just thinking out loud.

onex

onex said:

@9th_Sage I don't think so. To me, it sounds like the main game engine is complete, but they want to add activities later, increasing the price as they are implemented. So, essentially what we have here is DLC done right, and I think I'll support them for it!

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Very like Minecraft before it was super popular, it was real cheap and early buyers got all future updates but as the updates came the game got more expensive to newcommers

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I like the idea and I'm glad that Nintendo is being so flexible with its developers. That video, on the other hand, does not make a very convincing argument for this game.

Silvervisiona

Silvervisiona said:

This strategy sounds risky. It is common for title sales to reduce over time. Increasing the price will simply put off late adopters even more, essentially bricking sales once the increases start. Instead, the game will be purchased by the naturally early adopters, as well as late adopters, but at a reduced price. Good luck with the business decision. I probably won't be an early adopter, but would consider it if it went on sale within one year, and most definitely not if it is more expensive. Sorry.

element187

element187 said:

I'm probably going to pick up this game just because how creative it is.... I think my wife might actually enjoy this game.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Kinda like Minecraft, which we can see could be a great model for successful downloadables.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

This party looks like it's organized by the King of All Cosmos... ;-)
I'm intrigued, and I like party games very much, but maybe actually SHOWING the games in the trailer would have been more... enlightening? Useful? That kind of thing.

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

I clicked through because I couldn't believe there was a spin the bottle game coming to eShop... after that trailer I'm even more confused.

Bobhobob

Bobhobob said:

hmm, I don't even care what it's about, it's too weird to pass on! If the price is right, which seems likely, I'll bite. :D

Mahe

Mahe said:

Interesting idea. If the starting price is low enough, I might buy.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

In a marketplace with less eyes like the Wii U eShop I would expect to see this a lot. Rather than picking a low price point and sticking with it this makes sense as a way to drive those all-important early sales. I was planning on getting it anyway, but a reward for early adopters makes it a day-one purchase for sure!