Armikrog Officially Coming To Wii U

Posted by Andy Green

Kickstarter campaign hits Wii U stretch goal just in time

Pencil Test Studios has been running a Kickstarter campaign over the past month for its point-and-click adventure Armikrog, and the project has officially reached its set target of $900,000.

What's more, the campaign even managed to reach its Wii U stretch goal with just a couple of hours to spare, meaning Armikrog is officially coming to Nintendo's console via the Wii U eShop.

The interesting-looking title features stop-motion animation throughout, and new concepts are already drawn up for the Wii U version's control scheme. Though not confirmed, the GamePad could possibly be used as an inventory and, more excitingly, may give the player the opportunity to see a different perspective by offering a new angle on the second screen.

Doug TenNapel has partnered up with Pencil Test Studios to develop the upcoming release; his past work includes the likes of Earthworm Jim and the cult hit The Neverhood.

Are you pleased Armikrog is coming to Wii U? Check out the Kickstarter video below and let us know your thoughts on the game in the comment section.

[via kickstarter.com]

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

That character looks a lot like the starring from the Neverhood/skullmonkeys games. When I was young I was into Earthworm Jim, so nice to see this.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Definitely looking forward to this one! I never played The Neverhood, but I used to rent the hell out of Earthworm Jim.

bofis

bofis said:

So glad it made the stretch goal...when they announced a possible WiiU version, I upped my donation to include a digital download, but would have been sad if all I got was a PC copy instead. Even if one of the developers is homophobic :-

Emblem

Emblem said:

It looks interesting and i love stop-motion so if the price and gameplay are good i'll buy it.

burstwagon80

burstwagon80 said:

Just more proof that gamers aren't willing to put aside their self-indulgence in order to make a point of social issues. They won't condemn this for its anti-gay bigotry.
Just like they wouldn't condemn Resident Evil 5 for its anti-African bigotry.
And just like they wouldn't condemn Assassin's Creed for its anti-Catholic bigotry.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I'm so psyched that it made it! The version I get for donating will be on the PC and I doubt they're going to end up dishing out Wii U downloads, so I probably won't even get to play it on the system, but it's still awesome that Nintendo is getting these neat indie PC games that weren't possible on consoles before.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@burstwagon80 People have a choice to decide to buy or not to buy a game because of just one guy's opinion.

There are other people on the team, and one person's wacky view on gays will not stop me from playing a seemingly good game. If it stops you because you think it's important enough, then do it.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Cevan, et. al — what he's referring to is some anti-gay statements Doug TenNapel apparently felt the need to share (the original post on his site seems to have been taken down, but GayGamer has a summary up of what went down, as well as some sublime hilarity where he plays the martyr in their comment thread below the article).

@burstwagon80: To be fair, i'm guessing not everyone knew what went down — it looks like it happened over two years ago, so the stories are long-since buried. i know i only just found out about it thanks to your comment here. Had his words been current front-page news all over the place, perhaps you'd have more of a reason to be disappointed in your fellow man, but i can't find it in myself to fault people for not knowing.

That said, if you and anyone else decide to not support this game due to what he had to say, more power to you. I can at least tell you that what interest I had in seeing this come to fruition has absolutely been lost. Thank you for bringing that to my attention, but continuing to blame our users for choosing to support this project over something they probably didn't even know happened won't really get you anywhere, I'm afraid.

WoodenSaucer

WoodenSaucer said:

It's stop-motion claymation. You're not going to see a different perspective of the graphics on the GamePad. Don't you understand how stop-motion animation works? That would be impossible, unless it's just one static perspective, like a top view. Even then, I highly doubt if they're going to reanimate every single freakin frame of the entire game from a different perspective. The GamePad will just be for things like inventories and maps.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Looks very interesting, has some very amazing talent work for it. It's funny how Rob Paulsen always seems to be involved in anything to do with voice acting lol. I love him as Raph also in the old TMNT, and Donatello in the new TMNT, so I'm all around psyched!

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

This is great news, but since NiNtendo paid so much interest in this I get a feeling Nintendo was always going to step in if the need arose.

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

Knew in my gut that this would come, now we just need A Hat in Time Wii U confirmation and that will be good.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

@WoodenSaucer That's what the developers are planning. as you can see from their concept ideas on Wii U gameplay:

It's entirely up to the developer's as to whether or not this will be implemented in the final game. If they're willing to put in the extra work and effort to add different perspectives then by all means go ahead.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Looks awesome. I love point and click, and I like claymation, so it looks like I'll have another great-looking indie game to buy on the eshop.

Macarony64

Macarony64 said:

@burstwagon80 Everyone has different points of views. Just because you are pro gay dosnt mean everyone has to be too. In my opinion I agree they should have to have the privilage of to marry but not by the church.

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

wow the comments in this. ugh.

I'm pro gay rights, don't get me wrong. I also love The Neverhood to death. Obviously it's too late to consider revoking my donation, and I don't think I would've, but TenNapel just lost major respect points.

seronja

seronja said:

yeah i was totally happy to hear the wii u stretch goal was achieved, otherwise i simply couldn't play the game :D

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

This Kickstarter has left a black-hole in my bank account . . . but I think it was totally worth it!

Can't wait for my collector's edition boxed set, one of a kind painting, sketches, shirt, soundtrack, free Wii U version, and more!

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

If you can't separate art from artist, there is a vast amount that you cannot enjoy.

Pod

Pod said:

I'm looking forward to following the development process. :)

I used to do stop-motion animation myself, and I'm a huge fan of The Neverhood.

onex

onex said:

@CowLaunch EXACTLY!
I appreciate works such as The Neverhood, therefore I can't wait to see this new project come to fruition. On the flipside, I could care less what these developers do in their personal lives, as it has nothing to do with the artwork. The notion that you think OTHERS shouldn't support something just because YOU think a person involved is a doodiehead, is downright ridiculous, and it's the SAME mentality that your opposers use to rally haters.

Whatever happened to "Kill 'em with kindness"? If people followed that mantra, there would simply be less hate out there. *sigh

Shambo

Shambo said:

thanks to everyone who made this great news possible and therefor indirectly made my day!

now, if only there's a retail version, that'd be twice as awesome!

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

STOKED. This is the first and only Kickstarter game I've ever supported, and I have to admit when i saw it had nearly $300,000 to go with four days remaining, I really did not think it would get funded (let alone meet the Wii U stretch goal). I'm happy it did!

Clayfrd

Clayfrd said:

If you avoid art or products made by folks with views you find objectionable, you'll run out of things to enjoy very quickly. John Lennon, for example, was a wife beater and a rather awful father. That doesn't mean his music shouldn't be enjoyed by people. It's sad, and it's awful, but solace can be taken in the good he did provide the world. Likewise, TenNapel's Earthworm Jim has been enjoyed by all kinds of people. It's a shame the man behind it believes such backwards things, but like I said, to boycott people's work that have bad beliefs is tantamount to becoming a hermit.