Another 3DS System Update Goes Live

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

No thrills this time around

If you haven't noticed already, there's a new 3DS system update in town. The last entry brought a save backup feature, locked out the one working 3DS flashcard before it even went to market and, in PAL regions and Japan, brought additional paid-DLC to the StreetPass Plaza.

Released yesterday, the fresh update seems to be one of those rather uneventful "stability" additions, with the Nintendo of America changelog saying the following.

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Exciting stuff, which means that North American gamers are up to version 6.1.0-11U, while in Europe we're on 6.1.0-12E; the additional update in the EU was to fix the problem of the StreetPass DLC shop crashing a lot of user's Plaza apps.

Unfortunately this update hasn't brought that extra Plaza content to North America, so the rather puzzling delay on that front continues.

Kifa

Kifa said:

I'm not buying the additional Plaza content any time soon because in my area there is literally noone to Streetpass, but the delay for US (where most 3DS owners would probably utilise the DLC to it's fullest) is baffling. I guess there could be some licensing issues, because - what else? :|

Salnax

Salnax said:

@6ch6ris6 I honestly expected Miiverse to be ready in time for Animal Crossing's release. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say they're now waiting for the next big game that can push it as a feature. Perhaps Pokemon X/Y? If so, prepare to wait until October for that particular update.

Shworange

Shworange said:

I have two hats left to get, so by the time the new Streetpass games arrive in North America, I'll be ready for them.

DonMigs85

DonMigs85 said:

Anybody encountering freezes when loading the eShop version of Animal Crossing? Especially after first opening then closing Urban Trial?

allav866

allav866 said:

Come on, Nintendo! My 300 Play Coins are collecting dust, metaphorically! Give US the new Mii Plaza games!!

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

The recent update made street pass plaza and apps within that very slow for me, but no actual crashes. When changing screens it was freezing for up to about ten seconds at a time, hoping the update reported here will fix that. Other Apps are fine.
EDIT:
Updated and everything working nicely in Street Plaza - seems to run slightly quicker than before now.

CrissCross87

CrissCross87 said:

@DonMigs85 american eshop owner here. Game loads fine. Haven't played Urban Trial. I only ever get freezes when hitting the home button to goto Friends tab and trying to return, but I solved that issue by turning off wireless. It unfreezes for me then.

I hope this issue fixes the error code when trying to connect with people online. I only seem to get that error with folks in Australia tho.

bluewolf85

bluewolf85 said:

I think they are fix it...this going take while.... If Nintendo fix it...or not update...
we can't have this. I just wonder.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

I haven't had any problems. In fact the whole Streetpass plaza area is running so much faster than usual. Almost too fast at times.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Lately I had been experiencing random "An error has occurred" screens in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity (retail card) and Animal Crossing New Leaf (digital download), they were very infrequent but still too often.
I'm hoping this update actually addresses those random errors, it's awful when you suddenly lose progress on Animal Crossing.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@RupeeClock I've had that happen - losing progress in AC is one of the hardest things, enough to turn someone into the Impossible Mission villain.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

ok, WHY do people keep asking for miiverse on the 3ds? it's going to be super slow, and the 3ds doesn't even have a Nintendo ID protected system, so how is that even going to work. I was baffled enough Nintendo announced it was even coming to the 3ds, i didn't realize it was that powerful that it could suspend a game and go into a full-fledged app of its own. I guess we'll see.
also, Nintendo I want to give you my money for streetpass things but I can't

photofool83

photofool83 said:

I want those StreetPass games like crazy!!

Please bring them to North America soon, so you can take my money. :)

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@CrissCross87 when I was at college it was literally impossible to connect to people online. I think they had peer to peer connections blocked which makes online work, so check what your connected to, and if you own it, fix it

Zach777

Zach777 said:

It has probably been delayed in the US because of the relay machines coming out in September. The machines probably complicate things for NOA because of all the data they save until they come in contact with another system. When the US gets the update for the relay machines, I'm sure that's when the US will see the new StreetPass content. Nintendo probably wants time to fine tune all the stuff those machines will do and tweak them so everything works just fine.

EuroMIX

EuroMIX said:

One possibility is that the team behind the PAL and NTSC divisions are different and perhaps the PAL versions of these games/updates were finished first. The PAL versions might have actually been accidentally rushed out ahead of schedule. This would explain the issues we've been having.

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

I got all excited, thinking "ooh, new miiplaza content is here" and then realizing that an update as small as this is wasn't going to be adding it.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I thought the save back-up feature was new this update? Guess I didn't notice it last update.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@DarkEdi: Probably. That's probably also the real underlying purpose of the Street/Spot-Pass on the 3ds, & subsequently, & eventually Mii-verse.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I live in Europe, but I still find it disappointing that these games are still not available to America. You better not return to bad habits, NoA!

aj_fowl

aj_fowl said:

When we got update 10U I noticed a few of my eShop titles would freeze when I went back into the game after it was suspended. I had Seasons lock up at least three times. After this update I haven't had any issues...

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

If it improves stability... I'm okay with that... One time when they did a stability update, Sonic Generations ran at a smoother framerate with 3D full blast than it had before... And with SMTIV around the corner, I want all the stability/performance I can get! No one likes choppy experiences.. Then again, ATLUS never makes poorly-polished products :)