The Upcoming Okami Announcement Isn't For a Sequel

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Likely for Japan only

Word of an upcoming announcement posted recently to the Japanese Okami Twitter account may have sparked wider buzz than anticipated. A new message has been posted clarifying that whatever the announcement entails, it won't be regarding a sequel.

Furthermore, Capcom USA Corporate Officer and Senior Vice President Christian Svensson responded to an inquiry on the Capcom Unity forums by advising fans not to hold their breath on the announcement unless they live in Japan:

Whatever it is, it's likely only in Japan... I've got no details on what they were referring to (but as has been stated, whatever it is, it's not a game).

It’s a bummer to fans waiting for another installment of this beautifully stylized series, for sure. We can only hope that we’ll still see new offerings from the sun goddess in the future.

[via nintendoeverything.com, twitter.com, capcom-unity.com]

Related Games

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

...It's coming to iOS isn't it? :'(

The Wii U would be the perfect console for this game: precise touch screen controls with crisp, HD graphics.

Game0ver_Gavin

Game0ver_Gavin said:

This just reminded me I NEED to buy the original. I've wanted it for awhile, so I might pick up the PSN HD remake. Or should I buy the Wii version? :o

Bucho

Bucho said:

it's probably okami coming to iOS in japan or something like that . . .

Dodger

Dodger said:

Well, that is kinda lame. 3DS or Wii U would be perfectly suited for Okami and to be honest, Okami is a franchise that would make me buy a Wii U. Maybe they are porting Okami HD to something else.

I don't think it would be an iOS port. If it was a 2D platformer then maybe but the controls are almost too complex for a Wii remote and nunchuck setup. There are so many different buttons needed that I can't see it being functional on an Iphone.

@Game0ver_Gavin Either has advantages. The Wii version looks fine and while the pointer controls may mess you up a few times, it isn't a hard game and they are a lot faster then using the control stick. The PSN version does look nice in HD though.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I was hoping they were making a remake for the Wii U. Well, I guess I'll try to get a copy of the Wii version.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

Had my fingers crossed for a HD remake for the Wii U. I own the Wii one though so I should probably just carry on with that for the time being.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Stupid crapcom, I was really hyped for this, expecting a Wii U remake or a sequel. Anyway, stop remaking the game a make Okami 2 already.

TeslaChippie

TeslaChippie said:

@Game0ver_Gavin PSN version is the definitive version. The Wii version is better than the PS2 version just because of progressive scan and 16x9, but the PS3 version's HD makeover is just beautiful and the painting controls are better than ever. Happy gaming!~

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Man, I just hate it when I'm right.....
I knew when it said Okami-related news, it could be anything.
Well, if it's not a game, then what is it?

tsm7

tsm7 said:

I don't understand why they bothered to send out a teaser about news a week ahead of time if it was something so small...kinda lame Capcom

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Thought so. I'm still okay with it, Okami got more deserved attention. Now everyone reading this: Go play Okami. Because I know you haven't actually played it yet.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Dang..... Now THAT is dissapointing! I put over 120 hours in Okami and would have loved either a remake or sequel. Ah well...

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

Okami II' Turbo Championship Arcade Edition... crapcom style...

how sad that a game so cute this in the hands of a crappy company.
I miss you, old capcom.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I loved exploring Okami's vast landscapes and listening to the instant classic soundtrack. I haven't had so much fun playing a game to 100% completion for a long time so this is pretty disappointing. I figured it would be a pretty big letdown as soon as this news was teased though. Oh well, perhaps someday Okami fans will get the sequel they want. In the meantime, I'll keep playing the original while daydreaming about the possibilities of the next installment in this franchise.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@CanisWolfred I've played it, honest!
OK, I've only played it a little. But at least I bought it! I need to finish Skyward Sword before I finish Okami.

nilcam

nilcam said:

They're going to announce that Okami is now Mega Man tier - loved by fans, ignored by Capcom. This announcement will anger fans and Capcom will try to appease by offering Okami-branded paint-by-number sets.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

I'm more disappointed now than I was a few hours ago. Surely a HD digital only version wouldn't be that hard to make for Wii U?

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Gonna be some merchandise or something. Totally not worth an announcement for an announcement. You've brought this on yourself, Capcom.

Ah well, at least Okami is a huge game that I'll enjoy beating again. Let's face it, like CanisWolfred says, most people here haven't even bought the original.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Seams like: Whenever its news about a beloved series from capcom....ints not about a game...
Could become a meme if you asked me.

banacheck

banacheck said:

@TeslaChippie

Actually the Wii version was inferior towards the original PS2 version, Wii version lack of enhancements for the game caused several complaints from fans of the original PS2 version. Filter's applied to all on-screen elements that was readily apparent in the PlayStation 2 version was still included in the Wii port, but the effect was made much less significant. Aslo final credits movie that was in the PlayStation 2 version of the game was removed from the Wii version, Ready at Dawn only did the Wii port for love of the game.

SuperSah

SuperSah said:

Shame. Okami's one of my all time favourites.

Bet it's just plush toys of sorts. I'd happily import!

Vriess

Vriess said:

Why don't Japanese game companies listen to the fans! And they seem to ignore the Western markets! Why?...Stubborn people!!

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

@Vriess

It sold incredibly poorly, as did Okamiden...

As often is the case, people are simply not putting their money where there mouth is... or there's just a very vocal small fanbase.

Vriess

Vriess said:

@citizenerased
Makes sense... None of the people that I know plays or has even heard of Okami. I ordered Okamiden online because I couldn't find it anywhere local.

Maybe Capcom should start fundraiser projects like Kickstarter and have the fans pay for localization.

SilverSeraph

SilverSeraph said:

In the age of digital distribution there is literally no good reason whatsoever for anything to remain "Japan only". No good reason other than, perhaps, their own stubborness or stupidity.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@SilverSeraph Digital Distribution doesn't make localization costs that much cheaper, you know, especially when the audience for digital distribution is smaller.

@Fusion14 The Move Controls work about the same, maybe even a little better.

SilverSeraph

SilverSeraph said:

@CanisWolfred Digital distribution doesn't reduce localization costs, but it tremendously reduces publishing costs, and makes shipping/distribution effectively zero.