Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D Comes With Free Mario Lost Levels at Best Buy

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

A $4.99 bonus

Nintendo of America has confirmed a promotion being run by Best Buy (in the U.S. only), where a purchase of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D comes with a free download code for Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels on the 3DS eShop. The retro Mario platformer has a price tag of $4.99, so it's a decent incentive.

Rather bizarrely, and despite the official advertisement, Best Buy's website is still listing the physical version of the game for pre-order — we'd hope the bricks-and-mortar stores have their stock by now — while the equivalent download code is the same price and without the free Virtual Console download. If you're planning to pick up this terrific Wii re-make and fancy some free retro goodness, we suggest popping down to your local store while the free code stock lasts.

Are any of you planning to take up this offer, or have you already done so?

Related Games

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

Well... I already had the lost levels and have now already picked up DK Country Returns 3D at EB Games... So it's a little bit too late for this.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Well I had these two games for Wii already so yeah I probably might skipped this... but then again it's portable so nope I can't skipped this. Sometimes you can't just ignore the freebie.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

If you already have the Lost Levels, then get it and give the code to a friend that doesn't have it. That's what I'd do if I had any Best Buys near me.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I got a much better deal at GameStop! If you buy the game, you get $10 off the guide. With my platinum powerup rewards card(which gives you 10% off the guide normally) and the normal 10% off you get for buying the game & guide together, the guide was only $7.19 + tax vs. $19.99 + tax elsewhere! Now that's what I'm talking about:) The promotion runs until 6/7/13, and I'm guessing it's only in the US.

mantez

mantez said:

In Australia, I got a Donkey Kong tie for pre ordering at Eb games

SBOY

SBOY said:

And again Québec got nothings... Most promo from Nintendo doesn't even show up here...

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

I would've liked that :(

and this

Untitled

I shouldn't be greedy, at least we got the 'Many great games' promotion!

Bakajin

Bakajin said:

Well, I'll I guess I'll be picking this up sooner rather than later. Is MB:LL the original Japanese game, or the slightly easier remake from Super Mario All-Stars? Not that it matters, I want it either way

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

I'd like to get Lost Levels on my 3DS even though I have it on Wii already. But I'll just pick DKCR3D up for $29.99 at K-Mart tomorrow instead.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Tasuki
They can be nice to have on hand for quick access, especially charts and things like that. I used to buy them for games I really like and Nintendo Power used to give them out for subscribing. I still snap them up if I find them in good shape at thrift stores though.

This is a cool promotion, although I still have my copy of SMB Allstars if I ever get the urge to play it.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

And how do they call it, the masochist pack?

I have LL in the Mario All Stars disc and DKCR on the Wii, so even if I could I would not get this.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

@KnightRider666 Well you are not the only one, but they had to do what ever to make it playable on the 3ds which would of took time to do, it's like Zelda four swords all over again, make the game and have it available for a limited time.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Tasuki: I suppose you're right, but there just something nice about having a book full of nice colorful artwork right in front of you.
@undead_terror: I hear you. Man, that pie level gets ridiculously difficult by the 4th loop!

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Losing my Nintendo fan cred here, but I have never played the Donkey Konk Country series. Only the arcade versions from way back in the day. I am considering this game because a bunch of the commentors says its very difficult, and I enjoy the anger that fuels my determination to get further.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Nice deal. A bit random, but nice! I like The Lost Levels a lot simply because it lets you play as Luigi, and it gives him his own characteristics.

MetroidMasher17

MetroidMasher17 said:

I was aware of this promotion since yesterday when I bought the game, but getting the code for The Lost Levels has been an absolute nightmare. I've had to call customer service three times today.

Still, free stuff. Can't complain.

QuickSilver88

QuickSilver88 said:

@undead_terror Hey just wanted to let you know DK orginal will be the last 30 cent promo game for WiiU VC available I believe in mid July....can't wait to get this one....looks like DK @ Kmart tommprow for $30 is a steal.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

@QuickSilver88 do you have a source for your claim? I have an NES reproduction of DK: Complete Edition. I made it to the fourth barrel stage once but I died. However, it should be interesting to see how the "Pie" level stacks up with save states. People who are way better at DK than I am have expressed complaints that the Pie stage is impossible at later stages of the game.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I'm some what disappointed that Nlife didn't review it, but what can you do?
..........................
I doubt it's coming to the wii u.....