Let Your Creative Juices Flow By Designing A Mascot For SEGA Japan

Posted by Orla Madden

Your character could be a fresh face for the company

Think you've got what it takes to be the next Naoto Ōshima? If so, then please continue reading.

SEGA Raw, an upcoming new web series hosted by Yakuza producer Toshihiro Nagoshi, is currently holding a competition in which you can design its mascot, and the winner's character will get to promote the show on Japanese streaming site Nico Nico.

The show is looking for a character that incorporates the spirit of SEGA. If you're lucky enough to win the competition, here's what you'll get - an autograph from Nagoshi himself, and all of the merchandise that SEGA produces of your character. Even better is the fact that due to NicoNico having an English version online, this is open to anyone.

Below are the list of rules and how to enter into the competition.

Application Period: Open until June 9th 2013.
Picture Format Accepted: Any resolution in JPG, GIF, or PNG format no larger than 10MB.
Contest Tag: セガなまマスコットキャラコンテスト
URL: http://sega.jp/seganama-character/

Here's how to enter:

• Create a NicoNico account
  • Create your design of a mascot character that represents Sega.
  • Visit this page
  • Enter the following from top to bottom:
    1. Upload your image.
    2. Image Title
    3. Image description
    4. Tag: セガなまマスコットキャラコンテスト
    5. Image type: キャラクター (6th selectable from the top)
  • Click the submit button (black button at the bottom)

So what are you waiting for? Get your thinking caps on and show 'em what you've got.

[via destructoid.com, yakuzafan.com, sega.jp]

KAHN

KAHN said:

now that is just lazy. interested in what the fans come up with though. what will their new face look like?

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

How about a supersonic mole? He runs things into the ground at the speed of sound, leaves people in the dark, and loves eating dirt. What better signifies our hip new modern Sega than that?

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

Don't worry, folks. This contest is as easy as designing a character that can dethrone SONIC THE FRIGGIN HEDGEHOG!

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Its sad to see, that they drove sonic so hard against a wall that they are ashamed of him and need to replace him...
But its not the first mascot to die in vein. So did spyro, and crash, and the ape escape crew...basicly everything sony had that came close to a mascot. Guess that didnt go well with the "hardcore" crowd since "kiddy mascots" dont fit into military shooters...
If you want to see a well treated mascot, look at nintendo..they have more mascots than it would be healthy :D

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@Einherjar and @AltDotNerd - I still find it staggering that people online read something yet only take two or three words in and then speak about it like they've understood it fully. Just moronic. The competition is to design a mascot for Sega Raw, a new website, not to replace Sonic as Sega's mascot. How about you try reading the whole article next time, hey?

hydeks

hydeks said:

ohh man, the way you guys worded it through the link, I thought SEGA was replacing Sonic, and I was REAAALLY p*$$ed off for a couple, than I read the article lol I could careless what character they get for Sega Raw, just as long as Sonic is there MAIN maskot.

NintendoPro64

NintendoPro64 said:

While Sonic may not be getting replaced as company mascot, I do feel that Sega needs a new IP that really appeals to Japanese gamers. Thing is, even during his heyday of the Genesis Sonic never really left a big mark in Japan. It was mostly the SNES's turf. And sales of Sonic games in recent years reflect his low popularity.

@hydeks
I agree. A lot of websites need to do a better job wording the titles in their articles. I almost lost it when I read the title for that Talking Point story about how Nintendo could get the jump on the PS4 and 720. :P

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

The chances of a character made outside of Japan winning are super slim, but I'll try it anyways for the heck of it. :P

JusticeColde

JusticeColde said:

Damn, I have had an idea for a perfect SEGA mascot for a while now.
But I can't draw to save my life.

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

As a computer art major I'm appalled. This is just Sega's way of getting its fanboys to do the work for it instead of hiring a professional artist.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

I don't know that it's the design of the character that makes a mascot successful. Just create a game series that's fun and original and success will follow, right Mario? Oh, right, we're talking about Sega here...

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

If you need a mascot Sega, then why don't you use one of your old characters that barley does anything anymore, like Ristar, just look at him, he's awesome, and if anybody says that Sega needs a blue mascot, then look at there previous mascot Alex Kidd.
Untitled

Also, Mr.Randoms would be best mascot for them.

hydeks

hydeks said:

@SheldonRandoms Ristar was shown some love for Sonic & All-Stars Transformed, he's the flag waver guy! :) And Alex Kidd is a playable character, but yay, it would be cool to see Alex Kidd as the Sega Raw maskot, cause he was the maskot before Sonic.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

What? Sega needs a new mascot! Now is Knuckles' chance for a sequel! :P

Either way, I almost had a heart attack, my favorite series almost being replaced.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@rastamadeus: It doesn't help that the title of the article says "Let Your Creative Juices Flow By Designing A Mascot For SEGA Japan." When I first read that I thought they were wanting to replace Sonic as well. I dont blame people thinking that I blame the writer of this article, perhaps next time they should choose a less misleading title.

TheSonicdude97

TheSonicdude97 said:

Well, SEGA started out big with arcade machines too, so... arcade machine guy? (I dunno, that's just my idea for now.)