Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Approaches One Million Sales

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Just over a quarter of those on Wii U

Sonic & All-Stars Transformed was, arguably, a surprise entry as one of Wii U's best titles available at launch. We were suitably impressed by its track design, action-packed racing and transforming vehicles to award a 9/10 in our Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed review, and the title's status as one of the least expensive retail releases on the system — particularly on the eShop — makes it a tempting proposition.

Released during the silly-season of the festive games line-up, SEGA's recent Q3 financial report — or that of SEGA Sammy, to be accurate — stated that as of 31st December the title had sold 930,000 copies in less than two months since release. Those aren't bad figures at all in such a competitive release schedule, while the one million mark seems likely to be passed. From what we can gather the Wii U versions (normal and limited editions) contributed 260,000 sales, which is a strong figure considering the young platform's small userbase in comparison to the competition. It's also raced onto 3DS in Europe in recent days, with the North America arrival on 12th February.

Decent results for the title, an under-appreciated racer with fan-service to satisfy any SEGA fan. Is this one that you've picked up, or are you planning to in the future?

[via segasammy.co.jp]

idork99

idork99 said:

I'm a Mario Kart person but recently had a friend tell me about how awesome this game is and how he wants to battle me to a race (that I won't win because apperantly no blue shells exist in this game). Unfortunately, I don't own a Wii U and probably will not for a while. But I am tempted to purchase the 3DS version. Does anyone know if the 3DS version is drastically different than the Wii U or do both versions perform the same?

Savino

Savino said:

260.000 copies on wiiu is an excellent number!!!!
Considering that ps360 have a userbase of tens of millions you can say that wiiu sold more in %!

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

i bought this on Wii U and loved it, very deserving of its great sales.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I've got to pick this game up. I loved the first title, so I have no doubt that I'll love this one as well. Maybe I'll grab it after Ni No Kuni.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I bought this after reading your review. It is no successor to Mario Kart Wii but it is a good game, especially for less than £30 from a GAME or Blockbuster .

It suffers in exactly the same way as every MK wannabe has from Street Racer (SNES) to Diddy Kong Racing. The stuff it does differently from MK starts off good and fun but loses its magic far too quickly to be a worthy contender to MK.

rjejr

rjejr said:

It sold well b/c it was cheaper and the competition was lackluster (people were mostly disappointed in LBP Karting) and the Wii U made everybody dream of an HD Mario Kart but with no sign of that on the horizon they bought this instead.

Not saying it didn't deserve to sell well, just that good games at good prices will sell well.

HorseLoverFat

HorseLoverFat said:

Got to say I was presently surprised with this game. Never owned a Sega system and only played sonic games at my mates place but it was nice to experience some of the characters and themed coarses from popular Sega franchises. Still, can't wait for the new Mario Kart game when every that's going to released.

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

Sega really went all out with this game. Celebrity endorsement, promotion for a Disney movie, and fan service all in one game is saying something.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

can we get a review on the 3ds version for this game?

considering getting it but no one seems to have any reviews

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

I bought a Wii U zombie U bundle and also got Sonic and all star racing transformed. But Sonic was the most played game on my Wii U by far! It's an amazing fun game and it deserves to be doing well!
Also I love some of those stages and soundtracks!

Salnax

Salnax said:

@idork99 I haven't seen a single review for the 3DS version. That said, I've heard the 3DS version sacrificed a few minigames and features for a more steady framerate.

TheEmerlLad

TheEmerlLad said:

Glad that Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed got itself a great number of sales!

I'll be getting a copy as soon as a Wii-U is in my Possesion!

jayblue

jayblue said:

be getting this soon bought mario,nintendo land,zombiu,darksiders,tekken think this game will be next liked demo but couldnt do time trial it was broken or am crap at sonic racing.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

After playing the demo and seeing that $40 pricing in the eshop, I'm tempted to buy one and I'm not a big racing fan.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I've enjoyed what I played so far aand plan to buy it in the future. A must have title with online play for those who need something new to play on your Wii U.

idork99

idork99 said:

@Salnax Thanks! As long as the main game is in tact, I don't mind losing a couple of mini games. I'll be looking forward to the reviews.

gazamataz

gazamataz said:

@jayblue the time trail is dead hard.theres a different route about 2 thirds of the way around where you drop onto the track bellow.without doing that i could'nt finish it.i bought the game on the strength of this demo it's bloody awesome.

drunkenmaster76

drunkenmaster76 said:

One of the best games out on wii u at the minute and great racer get this to fill the gap while we wait for mario kart.

Jonny

Jonny said:

I'm tempted by this but I got a feeling that Mario Kart will be out this holiday season and I won't go back to this after that.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I got this on PS3, but I ended up trading it for the PS3 version of the original game, which I used to own on the Wii.
I felt the original was just more fun to play, I found this one quite frustrating, and I preferred the 'miles' approach to unlocking things.
The Golden Axe and Afterburner remix music is great though.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

A good game that deserves good sales numbers. The people claiming that it's better than Mario Kart, though, are plain crazy. Apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

While I prefer Mario Kart as a franchise, I really do love this game! I'm not into Sega as much as Nintendo but I love the fan service this game provides! Good job!

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

I'm completely hooked on this game; so much more fun than Mario Kart, imo. It just has a lot more variety, more of a challenge, more interesting design... and you can tell the love Sega put into commemorating their franchises even if you weren't a "Sega kid" growing up. And this is all saying a lot considering how mediocre the first game was.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

It's a very good game, and I don't think I've ever really liked any other kart game than Mario Kart. It was a nice surprise. If anyone is bemoaning the number of titles on the Wii U and doesn't have this, well... buy it.

XD375

XD375 said:

I was worried about this game's sales for a while, but this is pretty good news! (:

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

It deserves all those sales.

I hope Nintendo takes notice with Mario Kart and really goes all out.

TheSonicdude97

TheSonicdude97 said:

I got this game for X-BOX 360 at least, and it's a BLAST!! I really think it's much superior compared to the first one and the 3DS version is gonna be my next absolute buy after seeing that 16 minute footage of it over on Youtube~ (posted by user: Daffster) I have Mario Kart 7 and have seen Mario Kart Wii, but I truly think this game is much better, in my opinion. Btw, I don't mind opinions at all on whether someone likes it or not but I don't like when people say "Oh it's just good for the wait for the next Mario Kart". Cause this game is not anywhere as low as to being a "meanwhile racer" for it's purpose.

Nareva

Nareva said:

I did my part. I just played the demo and one course was all it took. I immediately downloaded the full game. It's cheaper through the eShop with the Deluxe Promotion than it is on Amazon. Easy decision.

star-fox

star-fox said:

You see Ubisoft,

It is not about the numbers. Delaying Rayman under the guise of satisfying PS360 owners has to be the greatest BS of all time. Sonic has sold as much on a 3m system in comparison to over 70m systems respectively.

These are the kinds of games guaranteed to sell more on NIntendo platforms. If Sega had done a Wii version, they would have sold more.

Disney did this with Epic Mickey II, by going multiplatform from a Wii exclusive, with disastrous results and I hope Rayman does not suffer the same fate.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

It may have come out last, but the Steam version's the one for me - Half the price of the other versions, 3 exclusive characters (And they're actual characters, not just "yourself"), lots of settings and, of course, modding opportunities. What's not to like?

Squashie

Squashie said:

@Drake But is it worth it to give up the "proper" console experience with a proper controller and the comfort of playing from your sofa?