Monolith Soft's 3DS Title Makes an Intriguing Appearance

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Courtesy of a job advert on Facebook

Monolith Soft is, for JRPG fans at least, a name at the top of many Wii U hype lists. The impressive trailer for X, as it's codenamed, reminded many of the sheer scale and epic adventure in Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii, but with greater resources to exploit on the system. This praise won't be news to eager importers who've known of the company for years, but its acquisition by Nintendo in 2007 has undoubtedly introduced the studio to a worldwide audience.

Monolith Soft is clearly a developer on the rise, and not just on Nintendo's home consoles. We shouldn't forget that the company has a team focused on 3DS which co-developed Project X Zone, a release coming to the West this Summer. Rumours of a solo project on 3DS have been swirling around for a significant period, meanwhile, going back to February 2012 when the company recruited a number of roles for a handheld title. We've heard little since, but a new job post — for 3D CG designers — has popped up on Facebook, alongside an intriguing piece of concept art.

It looks like more fantastical goodness — check out the trees and the lady's partner — and it's enough to get us more than a little bit interested. Does the fact that it's Monolith Soft on 3DS, along with cool-looking trees and characters, get you excited about what could be coming on the handheld?

Thanks to CanisWolfred for the tip.

[via destructoid.com]

BenAV

BenAV said:

Do want.
They've already made my favourite Wii game, and I wouldn't put it past them to make my favourite Wii U and 3DS games too.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

The art is inspiring, especially the girl and her companion. I hope it'll be good. Looking forward to "X" too.

Also, has anyone else seen the art up on Mistwalkers page? Same artist as The Last Story by the looks of it, and equally intriguing as this.

BenAV

BenAV said:

I hope it's an RPG, as Monolith seem to be very good at making RPGs and the 3DS could do with some really good RPGs.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I do like the concept art presented here. I hope whatever they do, it turns out good. Monolith has yet to disappoint me, so I have plenty of confidence.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

My only problem with this is it won't probably come state side till 2016! Looks like it in beginning development. :(

Emaan

Emaan said:

That concept art looks interesting. Good to know Monolith is really pushing out some solid JRPG's for Nintendo systems here on out.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

Monolith gets me excited. The trees don't--but since a giant talking tree didn't hurt Ocarina I can't really claim them to be a negative.

Windy

Windy said:

Looks great. I did a thread about a possible game of the same scope of Xenoblade on 3DS. I hope this is it or they are attempting a game of that type with that awesome gameplay on 3DS. would be awesome.

Windy

Windy said:

@Kroisos I like your avatar! I loved Fragile dreams and thought it went very much under the radar on the Wii. It's to bad cause its a must have Wii title

Dunban

Dunban said:

just recogniced, that just the name monolith soft gets me exited. the artwork is nothing very special so far.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Man, it could be an artist rendition of a rock... if Monolith is involved, color me interested. I've been following them since Baten Kaitos, and I don't plan on stopping now.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

@CanisWolfred The top picture featuring the man and wolf. What does it have to do with this? The subject of the Mistwalker artwork, and the subject of this article are basically "Devs that support Nintendo post new mystery artwork somewhere on the web, could a new game be in the works". So, that's what it has to do with this.
And basically NintendoLife could have just as easily posted a story of Mistwalkers new mystery artwork instead of Monoliths. GoNintendo posted both stories.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

You might want to, you know, check your link then. Because I see absolutely nothing Mysterious. Just iOS games and a picture of The Last Story.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Ouch! I had checked it, but since I haven't played The Last Story yet I assumed the artwork could be for a sequel. And apparently that's what a few other people did, since the artwork was so similar to The Last Story's and naturally by the same artist, assumed it was The Last Story 2, perhaps for Wii U.

Others have chimed in that it's production art of The Last Story, when it was called The Last World-the names been spotted on the art itself. Apparently The Last World was quite different before it turned into The Last Story. It was set in the future. Had lots of snow. So now a couple people are suggesting maybe The Last World has been brought back as a Wii U project. Who knows, maybe, maybe not.
One person commented "...why would Mistwalker take concept art from a scrapped game and put it smack in the middle of their website?" Seems a valid question when title artwork for The Last Story appears separately further down the same page.

Oh well, I'm sure they must have something for Wii U. Looking forward to seeing it.

CaptainAmerica5

CaptainAmerica5 said:

@Windy Hey, I've been trying to play Fragile Dreams but haven't been able to find a copy anywhere. I guess I'll have to check eBay or Amazon for it

orko

orko said:

i want to see a video for this game also can someone tell me how to put a photo on here im not computer savvy.