Konami Producer: Lack of Time And Resources To Blame For No Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 On Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Also, don't expect a home console version of Mirror of Fate

Konami producer Dave Cox has already stated that a Wii U version of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 isn't going to happen, but he's never really elaborated on the reason why - until now, that is.

Speaking to Dutch site n1ntendo.nl, Cox had this to say:

The reason that we're not making a Wii U-version of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 is because of our resources. We have a limited amount of people working on the title. About 60 people worked on the first title and that's a pretty small team. With the sequel we have slightly expanded that team, but in order to make a Wii U-version, we need about 20 to 30 extra people. Next to that, we're already pretty far into the development of Lords of Shadow 2, so it would be very hard for us to work on a Wii U-version without negatively effecting the general development of the title. That's the only reason there won't be a Wii U-version, it's not that we don't want to make it, it's just that it wouldn't make sense for us to do so right now.

He also responded to web chatter regarding the possibility of a home console version of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, which was started by the fact that he mentioned that MercurySteam have HD assets for the game:

The reason we've first made Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate in HD to then downscale the graphics to the 3DS is because it ensures that the quality of the images is maintained. It's a common technique when making videogames. We used a lot of PC's while developing the Nintendo 3DS-game, but that doesn't mean there's also a PC-version coming.

Eventhough we've got HD-assets of the game, the game is pretty much designed for the Nintendo 3DS. It's always been our focus and intention to the release the game for that platform. We have no plans to bring the game to HD-consoles. We have no plans to create a different version. The game is pretty much designed to play with the dual screens and to use the capabilities of the 3DS.

It's not uncommon for developers to save the HD-assets of a game to possibly use them in future projects, but at this time we've got nothing planned.

We actually kind of like the fact that Mirror of Fate is remaining exclusive to the 3DS — sure, we'd have loved to have played a HD version, but it sounds like Konami and MercurySteam are cooking up some really cool 3D-related surprises for the game.

[via n1ntendo.nl]

JactheRipper

JactheRipper said:

What will it take for the Wii U to get some 3rd party support? Wat does ninty have to do!? THis news is making me sick they better bring there 3 party A-BOMB come E3!!!!!

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Can't argue with that, seems like an honest response. Far better than delaying the game to port it if that's the alternative or spouting rubbish about not being sure what to do with the gamepad.

jayblue

jayblue said:

konami made a lot of classic games hope they make some good ones for the u.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Getting on the 360 anyways, but that still sucks though. I hope Mirror of Fate turns out well for 3DS. A game like that will be good for 3DS.

Discostew

Discostew said:

This is going to be an on-going problem for next-gen systems in general, not just Wii U, if the problem is needing more time and resources.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

I like how other companies are stepping in to basically say "no, Ubisoft is dumb, we're not doing similar nonsense".

Shrapmo

Shrapmo said:

Makes me wonder how the console version of RE Revelations will play if it was designed specifically for the 3DS.

Ren

Ren said:

So glad I didn't get a WiiU. It's going to take a mean zelda for me to get one now, so I'll just have to get the new xbox thingy if it doesn't come by then. Sounds like everyone else is bailing on WiiU; Too little, too late. I would say it's sad as a lifelong Nintendo fan but the competition is so great my thumbs have long since gotten over it.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

Is this a bad thing? The first Lords of Shadow was an awful, repetitive God Of War clone...

Eien1239

Eien1239 said:

Wait on until the WiiU shows you something? Well freak let the WiiU fail then...... this generation....... so bad. These sites are getting worse.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

The wii u is going to give me exactly what I expected-- the new Mario, Mario kart, Zelda, Kirby, donkey kong, and smash bros. Any 3rd party games or creative indie games on the eshop will always be a bonus.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Not really sure Wii U owners are missing much. It'd be nice for somebody who only has that system and wants to get the game to have the option but the truth is, LoS 1 wasn't anything special and neither 2 or Mirror of Fate look that great either.

AVahne

AVahne said:

If they ever DO make an HD version, hope they go for Wii U mainly for the dual screens.

gavn64

gavn64 said:

ren you were never gonna get a wiiu were ye? your doing what every troll does the whole " i wanted a nintendo system but nintendo didnt release anything on it now im not gonna get a nintendo system blah blah blah" you know it takes a while for these games to be released right? and if your on this site and your not excited by the wiiu's future at least then dude why are ye here?

sonicriders

sonicriders said:

@SkywardLink98 To be honest, I really don't think so, as they never promised an HD version in the first place. Fans have been expecting it on 3DS, and only 3DS until that rumor a few days ago, and it was really only a rumor. I don't think fans will be too disappointed :)

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Hasn't this been explained like 3 times now? We get it, the game is not coming to Wii U. Change the damn record

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

I'd love to see Lords of Shadow 2 on Wii U, but Cox's explanation does seem reasonable. Perhaps it'll make the jump later.

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

I am not too excited about Lords of Shadow 2 anyway and I'm a huge Castlevania fan. Not really missing much...

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Why does everyone want a HD console version of handheld games ? What is the point of buying a handheld then ?

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@Ren: I think Nintendo will have their (own) stuff out eventually; I think, if anything this year, not anything conventionally-hype-making anytime before q4. They have a history of releases being pushed back. I'm not singling them out for that though, I'm merely mentioning it. The (general recent) news, & look of things, is that the WU versions of most games are getting either shot down by the devs/pubs themselves, or the devs/pubs are continually making a point to say/add in these media interviews/excerpts specifically that, "Game X could have been coming to WU, but we decided against it, for reason(s) whatever".

Thing is, although I don't own a WU, that is the vibe I'm getting from most of these devs/pubs. It is (to me, @ least) almost like they purposely go out of their way to tell WU owners games that could have been coming, or made possible, that aren't coming; games that WU owners never even knew about, or thought about beforehand.

@gavn64: Yes, the WU needs a little time for momentum, but then again, it's the console manufacturer's job to make sure there are enough games(both physical, & digital), to occupy the time of people, who really have time to be into gaming, as well as people, who don't have a lot of time to game, b/c depending on how a console is marketed, a co. could have both types in their consumer base.

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

Yet another example of how they launched the Wii U too late. Now the fans are suffering for it.

Discostew

Discostew said:

@SpaceApe I wouldn't necessarily say that, simply because if they did launch earlier, it would be "other" games that wouldn't make it for similar reasons like what we have now.

DrSlump

DrSlump said:

I would like to start reading some news like "the team blablabla is developing a new 3rd party game for wii u", instead of reading about teams leaving the platform :(

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

They're not leaving the platform, they're just too far into development to make a wii U version, They said they want to develop for wii U they just can't right now with this game, they didn't say we're abandoning this platform all together

Bolt

Bolt said:

@Majin-Naruto Better yet, finish those versions and then delay them 7 months to release a Wii U version at the same time...
But I suspect Konami is not so despicable as some others. -.-

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

I would love to see LoS 2 on Wii U but anyway, Mr.Cox didn't pull a ubisoft move on us since is arguments seem reasonable and honest to me.
I still don't understand all the hate on Castlevania LoS though, maybe I'm the only one who likes it and I'm just so tired of the metroidvania style. Don't get me wrong I don't think they're bad but to me after playing all those metroidvania castlevanias it feel like they are all the same. The Rebirth on Wiiware was quite refreshning and would love to get a new one on that vein but anyway and returning to the topic, I can't wait to play Mirror of Fate on my 3DS!

Lyndexer

Lyndexer said:

It seems like Nintendo Wii U is being blamed for everything even though they only released a console and made their own games. Other than that, I don't see a reason why Ubisoft, Konami, ETC have a reason to complain.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Konami are you sure you don't want to port it to the Wii U in 6 months time,and charge it at the very cheap price of £50?

banacheck

banacheck said:

I have too point this out Konami have said he would consider doing and MercurySteam said:

it certainly seems like a wise decision. Since Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, of which Mirror of Fate is a prequel to, is also coming to consoles in the near future, it’s not unreasonable to think that an HD Mirror of Fate port will be available closer to that game’s release.

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

Whilst I appreciate a response from Konami, I sort of get the feeling that a considerable amount of developers seem to be making up excuses for not supporting the new system. For example, in this scenario, if they wanted to make a Wii U port, could they have looked into outsourcing that project and handing the responsibility to an external company? Of course, that course of action would also incur considerable costs and perhaps they felt that it was too risky at this point in time...

odd69

odd69 said:

why wasnt a 2d castlevania developed for launch on the wii u? we shouldnt have to beg, that should have been a given

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

i dont care if they do or nor, if they do they have my money, if not than so be it. why is nintendolife bringing only negative messages, while they just say they dont have the resources for it geesh,

id rather have Konami make a new Mystical ninja:starring goemon.