Here's What The Next Mario Kart Looks Like

Posted by Damien McFerran

Just one catch - it's the arcade version

Screenshots of the next entry in the popular Mario Kart series have hit the web - but before you get too excited about laying your eyes on the recently-announced Wii U sequel, we should point out that we're talking about Mario Kart: Arcade GP DX, developed by Namco Bandai. It's the third game in the coin-op lineage, following on from Mario Kart Arcade GP and Mario Kart Arcade GP 2.

Spotted by a poster on NeoGAF, the screens show a wide range of characters - taken from both Nintendo and Namco Bandai's output - as well as the signature ability to snap your photo and use it in the game. Although it's being developed by Namco Bandai, Nintendo has some input - which is possibly why the gliders from Mario Kart 7 have made their way into this version.

Another exciting addition is Team Mode, which allows two players to combine their karts - with one handling the driving and the other in control of the weapons - which reminds us of Mario Kart: Double Dash. 10 "redesigned" courses are promised, and the game is due to hit Japanese arcades this summer.

Will you be checking out your local arcade for this in the future, or have the previous Mario Kart arcade releases left you feeling a bit cold? Leave and comment and we'll all know.

[via eurogamer.net, neogaf.com, arcadeheroes.com]

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

I haven't been to an arcade in years. This is kind of making me want to go. (Of course I'll be fine when Mario Kart U comes out. ;) )

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I've played Arcade GP recently at an arcade at a British holiday "resort". Its really good. That looks great.

Taceus

Taceus said:

Wow! I had no idea MK went arcade. I would love to try it out. Scratch that. I want one! :D It'd take me back to the Daytona USA days. Has anyone played the other two? What are they like?

Yosher

Yosher said:

I really, really hope these arcade titles will become available on the eShop one day, since where I live arcades are VERY rare and the ones I've been to don't have any Nintendo franchise based machines (neither F-Zero AX or any previous Mario Kart arcade machine).

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

Chuckie Cheese had the first one for a while. Our band teacher decided it was a good idea to take a bunch of 8th graders there for lunch.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I only played Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 at Disney World. There are none whatsoever anywhere where I live. It seems only the fancier arcades have modern Nintendo arcade games like this one.

I enjoyed playing Mario Kart GP 2, and I can see how they could have an influence on Mario Kart U. The graphics look fairly nice and the photo-op could easily be done with the GamePad since Game & Wario already uses the same concept.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! I greatly enjoyed MK Arcade GP when I played it. Hilarious fun versing a friend on it :D Especially when the announcer bugged out & kept saying "Pacman... MISSES! Pacman... MISSES!" even when I wasn't firing anything, hilarious! :D I was always wondering if they were going to make a 3rd MK arcade & I'm glad to hear they are. I'll have to tell my friend who lives in Japan the good news, so I can vicariously play the game :D

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I really hope that these arcade versions of Mario Kart are released as VC Arcade titles in the Wii U eShop. I spotted Arcade GP2 about a year ago at an arcade in Sydney but they've just recently closed down as they haven't been paying their rent. I've never had a chance to play it and arcades are only becoming harder to come by as time goes on.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Even though I have seen GP 2 before, I was 12 and didn't take much notice of it... I wish I played it at least once now...
If I see this somewhere, I'll definitely give it a go :)

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

@MultiMariosonic Pac-Man should be in the game somewhere, also the tamagotchi Mametchi was in the 2nd one, I wonder who else will be in the next one, also there should be a home port of the arcade games.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I played one of the first two like crazy when I found it at Disney World last year at our resort. Too bad I live in WV and will never see this anywhere around here.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

I think it was Mario Kart: Arcade GP 2 that I played at a Chuck E. Cheese's before when I went out with the family to my little cousin's birthday a few years ago. Like anyone I'm guessing, I went right for Pac-Man as my character out of the gate and just enjoyed the heck out of that game. I will admit, it felt very different than playing Mario Kart on the consoles and portables, but still was an enjoyable experience. As for Mario Kart: Arcade GP DX , it seems like to me that they really are trying to make the most out of what was done in Mario Kart 7 with the gliders and driving in water, and adding it into a new ARCADE installment of the series. I just can't help but wonder if this is kind of a surprise as to what's to come in Mario Kart U ?

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

I would totally buy one of these arcades, but it surely is expensive, otherwise we would see them everywhere.

Also, I want them on a WiiU special release.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

I've been to quite a few arcades throughout my life so far and have never seen a mario kart coin op. must not be many in the US

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

@HawkeyeWii - They are in the U.S. My parents took my siblings to Chuck E. Cheese when I was at a party. When we met back up, they told me they had played a Mario Kart game there. I was understandably surprised to hear about a MK arcade machine.

Arianabtd

Arianabtd said:

When I visited Disney World, everyday in the arcade I played Mario Kart. (I dragged my brother to play with me.) And I played it at Disney Quest... oh and that Disney Cruise I took a few years ago...

I feel like I only play this at Disney...

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

I wish Nintendo would make these arcade MK's available on console. It's the only way I'll ever get to play them.

BrightShadows31

BrightShadows31 said:

I did see an older machine at the chuckk e cheese near me, and its the most popular machine there. But that place is such a madhouse where i live that its just easier to go somewhere else.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

Holy crap i remember seeing that arcade once! Man, never played it so IO don't recall if it worked like that 1 NHL Blitz did where you could take your memory card with ya and upload what you're using. probably no need for it in this case, though, I guess.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

I JUST realized these arcade version probably have different tracks...

.......... want

Squid

Squid said:

I wish this wasn't for arcade, honestly. Downloadable would be good.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Those courses look great! Wish they added some of those to MK7.
I really should consider buying one of those for my room if possible, cause who needs MK U then? :D

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@DaveGX: As I recall reading @ least 1 place somewhere online, or perhaps even multiple sources, @ least one of the games used a memory card, or could anyway.

@CosmiC: Been meaning to ask you, I might have already, is your current avatar from Star Wars?

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Problem with arcades, is most that I know of seem to be more focused on winning tickets for cheap rubbish prizes, rather than playing any kind of real video game. And a lot of the games I see at resaraunts and other venues are mostly either retro remakes (some are legit like Pacman/Galaga, some are just gutted cabinets with bootleg multicades) or old 90's arcade games that they probably got on the cheap. Then there's the occasional stupid modern casual garbage like deer hunting and bass fishing. With the junk titles that I do find on rare occasions, it's no wonder why it seems the arcade scene of today is mostly dead. :P

gblock

gblock said:

played the first Mario Kart GP when I was in Hawaii several years ago...I'm REALLY hoping (even though I don't have one near me) that Dave and Busters decides to put these in to replace the NASCAR game that they used to replace Daytona USA...

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@StarDust I have to agree with ya there, thats why I hate going to Chuck E Cheese with the family. The only thing I find fun there is ski ball so I just play the games to pass the time and give my tickets to the kids. Its sad that most kids probably don't know what a real arcade looks like.

I've played the Mario Kart arcade game before and it was fun if not weird to see non-Nintendo characters in it. Not sure if it was just that particular machine but the wheel felt too "loose" to me so I had trouble steering.

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

We have Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 at a fairly close cinema. I first played it when I saw the advance screening of Wreck-It Ralph, and I loved it! I hope they get this new game! (And the return of Mario Cards IntenCity, please? :))

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I poured about twenty dollars into the first one when I saw it at a Disney resort. I think that's all I'm willing to spend on Mario Kart in an arcade, though. Having to spend a dollar (or was it $1.25?) for every single race is hard to put up with for too long. :(

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

nice i remember playing one at chucky cheese! it was fun wish they had tese as downloads too or DLC

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

@Shadowing27 Taiko Drum Masters!!! Whoever made the level design for these tracks, Nintendo should take note, or include/remake them on to Mario Kart WiiU.
I really love the Asian-themed tracks, but why Taiko Drum Masters?
Gotta like the Mario-themed track :)

Henmii

Henmii said:

So there aren't any new courses? Anyway: Put all the Mariokart arcade content on a disc and bring it to the Wii u (or put it on a card and bring it to the 3DS)!

Lyndexer

Lyndexer said:

I would love to have one of these Arcade games in my room. I'd play it all day. D: