3DS Circle Pad Pro XL Coming To The UK March 22nd

Posted by Damien McFerran

Bolt (on) out of the blue

Nintendo has confirmed that the Circle Pad Pro XL will launch in the UK on March 22nd — just in time for Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate on the 3DS.

The accessory follows in the footsteps of its smaller predecessor, which was designed to bolt onto the original 3DS console. The Circle Pad Pro XL offers an additional analogue pad and ZL and ZR triggers.

Games which currently come with Circle Pad Pro support include Resident Evil: Revelations, Kid Icarus: Uprising and Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D.

Will you be picking one of these up to go along with your copy of Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate? Or have you coped perfectly well without the previous edition of the accessory? As always, a comment will let us know what you think.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I will definitely get one again for Resident Evil ;) It just plays so much better with a second analog nub. And since i always travel with a messenger bag, protability is not an issue. I still wish that more games will use the CPP, since the two aditional shoulder buttons plus the second nub can gratlely enhance games. Despite all the "its way to bulky" whining, i really loved the old CPP.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

What about NA. Did I miss something and is NA getting one too or am I going to have to import one?

lebad

lebad said:

I will pick it up when coming to France ;) I was waiting for it to play with Metal gear solid and resident evil.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

how many games actually support the CPP? as a lefty i am interested, but only if enough games use it.

KodaSmooss

KodaSmooss said:

@k9sMum I guess it is only the 3 listed in the article (+ Monster Hunter). The "left-handed mode" is only for Kid Icarus as, in the other games, the second stick is used for the camera.

Osui

Osui said:

Ordered import one for my NA XL few days ago, ready for monster hunt

shynra

shynra said:

Kingdom hearts and in japan only Ace Combat (uk one doesnt support it :( )

Beta

Beta said:

I don't like gore so no Resident Evil or Metal Gear Solid, I am right handed so I don't need it for Kid Icarus, already finished KH with no need for it, no Ace Combat and getting the Wii U version of MH for online. No need for the Circle Pad for me.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@SanderEvers wait, these things need a battery? who thought THAT was a good design decision? that would be the same as if the game boy player needed it's own AC adaptor

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

okay I just read about it somewhere, the battery (for the original) lasts 480 hours, and it's designed like that so it doesn't drain power from the 3ds itself.
anyway i missed out on the original pro and then got an xl, so i'm very excited to play kingdom hearts with this

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

The circle pad pro certainly is bulky, wouldn't Nintendo be better to design a 3DSi and incorporate a second anoluge pad below the B & A buttons??

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@Farmboy74 No, they wouldn't have space to place the second L and R buttons.

Also below the buttons wouldn't be a very good place to put an analoge stick.

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

Sticking with my standard-sized Circle Pad Pro. Still works just fine for me ... and I can see the lines between the pixels of the XL. They bother me.

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

I really thought I'd like the last circle pad pro. I've learned over the years, I have fairly large paws and hoped it would allow me to handle the system more comfortably for my wrists. But in hand, it felt exactly how it looked. I found their attempt at ergonomics uncomfortable, and design choices questionable. Especially forcing me to reach around to use abxy instead of extensions to a more natural arrangement like the R button. And the lack of serious support pretty much says Nintendo just threw it at us to shut us up and went back to their original game plan.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Eww....
Im not a fan of the 3DS circle pad in general though. They have no grip at all, my thumb slips off it constantly

Placlu

Placlu said:

Altho I would probably never use it, It would be nice to use on my standard 3ds, I wonder if the XL one would fit on my 3DS since it's modified.. Hmm.

Sun

Sun said:

@SanderEvers Look at Wii U GamePad, the front buttons fit perfectly under the analogue stick. There is space and they could have done it right from the start, or at least from the XL design.

I will get this monster because I need if for REvelations and Metal Gear Solid 3D.

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

Hilarious pictures. The first CPP was bearable, and it fitted in my jacket pocket, but the CPP XL can forget it. If the 1st CPP was as big a my X360 controller, the CPP XL will be like a Wii U controller. Literally.

Falk_Sturmfels

Falk_Sturmfels said:

Well, I always had the regular CPP on my 3DS, cause I could handle that little thing better then. I can´t wait to get the CPPXL for my XL. I still have to beat Resident Evil Revelations Extra Mode on the last difficulty, and I quited playing it after I sold my old 3DS. Lets go for it!

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

well since it has been MONTHS since the XL came out, (and i had to trade my standard 3DS to get the XL, which was more than worth it) i hacked my standard CPP apart and what-do-you-know, it works with the XL no problem. it was just a matter of getting the IR light and port to meet up. i even sawed down the edges so that it fit along the cradle for the analog pad. it works surprisingly well like that.

JMDS

JMDS said:

Now wait a second...will this work on my NA 3DS XL if I import it? If so, I'm probably going to do that. I don't care if I have to carry it around in a freaking briefcase.

Mascarpino

Mascarpino said:

I'm so getting one of these! It would really help for KI:U. and hopefully they'll put it to use in some more of the 3DS games this year.

Oh, and I accept your challenge. I can fit that thing in my pocket. ;)

merlyn2100

merlyn2100 said:

@JMDS I imported a Japanese one and it works great on my NA 3DS XL with Resi. Can't wait for my Monster Hunter pre-order :)