Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity Hitting North America March 24th

Posted by Damien McFerran

New 3DS adventure set for early 2013 release

Nintendo has confirmed that Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity will be coming to North American 3DS consoles on March 24th, 2013.

The latest instalment in the popular Mystery Dungeon sub-series, Gates to Infinity will allow 3DS owners to use the console's camera to scan objects and access new locations.

Here's the press release:

Become one of five popular Pokémon from the fan-favorite franchise – Pikachu, Snivy, Oshawott, Tepig or Axew – and journey through infinite dungeons, battle and befriend other Pokémon, collect treasures and explore the game’s vast, beautiful world – all in amazing 3D. In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, there are many labyrinths called Mystery Dungeons that change their form every time a player enters. Pokémon, items and treasure within a Mystery Dungeon will change location every time a player re-enters.

Players can gain access to additional Mystery Dungeons through “Magnagates.” To open the Magnagates, players scan circular objects in the real world using the Nintendo 3DS Camera, allowing them to continue their adventure, even after they have completed the main Mystery Dungeons.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity also introduces wireless multiplayer features to the series. More details on this functionality will be shared in the future.

Is this the news you've been waiting for? Drop a comment below to tell the world.

Konata

Konata said:

I have played every version of mystery dungeon and I was so excited to here this one was coming out.

Gettin' it on day one! :D

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

This game... Confirmed for NA?

YES! YES! I'm SO excited! Certainly getting on launch ASAP, The PMD DS games are my favorite DS games of all time, and this one may end up being my all time favorite 3DS game!

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

I've been waiting on confirmation ever since the first info about the game coming out in Japan! I have played every Mystery Dungeon released here so far, so this is an insta-buy.

Beta

Beta said:

YES! YES! YEEEES! PLEASE, NoE! GIVE US AN ANNOUNCEMENT TOO! 8D

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I bought the first Mystery Dungeon for GBA when it first came out, and hated it with a passion. I'm willing to give it a second look, though, if reviews are positive and they've fixed everything that made the first one horrible.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

AWESOME. I was so hoping for this. Day one buy for me!!!!!!!!!
Sorry I'm so excited. I love Pokemon

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@Flowerlark If you mean gameplay, sorry but it's the same. Don't worry though, give it a chance and the music an the story should pull you into this masterpiece (Unless it's a glitch heaven)

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Nice, you can never have too much Pokemon in my book. If they have this as a digital copy as well I will so buy it at midnight.

Still hoping Pokemon Typing Adventure get a NA release.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I was actually thinking of getting this one. Too bad it's coming out the same Month as Tales of Xillia, though.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I'm worried, because both of the previous games had essentially the same story. Will it be different this time around?

gefflt

gefflt said:

"players scan circular objects in the real world using the Nintendo 3DS Camera, allowing them to continue their adventure"

Intriguing...

I've only played Pokémon Mystery Dungeons: Blue Rescue Team and it's one of the few games I have never finished (it got frustrating since I didn't have the right types of Pokémon to continue once it got to the very difficult water levels) but I think I might give this one a try.

I'll wait to see what the Nintendo Life review says first though. :P

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

I'm glad whenever a game that is already out in Japan gets announced for North America, whether I plan on buying it or not. This instance is a perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

@TheDreamingHawk This.

I teared up at the end of the first one and I actually cried a couple times in the second one.

And the soundtracks....oh my god the soundtracks are wonderful!

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@Intrepid I personally loved the main stories of the past games but this does look like it will break the trend story-wise though, though I'm not entirely sure.

@SkywardLink98 It's kind of one of those games you'd probably rather try out first ; Japan got a demo(which tied to the real game in some way) IIRC, so we may have that chance too.

Overall though, the main plots have been really good(imo) with some twists/surprised just when you think you get what's going on and can get emotional as has been mentioned above. The soundtracks have been done really well(some pretty catchy tunes), they have TONS of replayability(randomly generated missions, so infinite possibilities), and you can even send for a friend's help you if you're trapped and helpless in one, haha.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

@SkywardLink98 Well I can compare Pearl to the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game at least. They are almost somewhat alike...at best. Pearl is the definitive catch-em-all traditional JRPG series, Mystery Dungeon is...what the title is. Random dungeons, more difficult, more limited party, better story but mostly focus on beating lots of dungeons with randomized floor designs to get rewards. Might be good to look up gameplay of the games since I don't think I could properly explain it within a reasonable amount of time. But it does play like a Pokemon game...that was turned into a Mystery Dungeon game. You know have the Pokemon and their moves and items etc. It's very interesting at least.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

My excitement for the game went from 100% to 65% after I found out Gardevoir wasn't in it. I'm still buying it though because Pokemon games with a focus on the story is the stuff.

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

Yeah. That's the day after my birthday. I know what I'm asking for. Last year Kid Icarus came out on my birthday so that was very nice.

AceTrainerBean

AceTrainerBean said:

I've never played any of the Mystery Dungeon games but this one looks fun can't wait for it to be released in Ireland!

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@SkywardLink: A direct comparison is difficult. Pearl is part of the main series (Red, Blue, etc up to Black 2 and White 2), but the Mystery Dungeon series is a spin-off that uses a very different play style.

PMD is part of a genre known as "dungeon crawling." You play as a Pokémon (rather than a trainer) within a community of Pokémon, and explore randomly generated dungeons. It's a genre you're either going to like or hate: dungeon crawling is extremely repetitive by nature, but the games tend to stand up on rich story and difficult scenarios. The PMD series has so far had excellent storylines (don't worry, there's no storyline continuation between games and no link to the main series at all, so you won't miss a thing by not having played a previous entry).

Best way to find out if you'll like it is to download a demo, if one comes out. If you expect to like it just on the Pokémon label, you're going to get something entirely different to what you expect.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

This is another game to add to my list for 2013. I really enjoyed PMD EoD, and I hope to enjoy this one too.

Konata

Konata said:

The other PMD games pulled my heart strings (One made me cry xD)
The story I love very much, I hope the story is strong on this version too x3

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

This better mean we at least get the WiiWare version of Mystery Dungeon soon....maybe on Wii U eShop.

Game0ver_Gavin

Game0ver_Gavin said:

I didn't know Anew was a popular Pokemon. Why won't they put in Lucario for god's sake? And BTW, in that picture, what are those Pokemon wearing? Bow Ties?

mudjo

mudjo said:

The cameras on my 3DS are broken, so the Camera app, AR Games and the Denpa Men demo just come up with glitchy blankness. Will the AR bits be absolutely necessary in this game?

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

Yes!!! Now my 3DS can finally get a ton more playtime instead of just sitting in a drawer.

I love the PMD series.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Nice release date! I wasn't expecting this to drop so soon. Time to add it to my growing list of 2013 3DS games. :O

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@mudjo i thought denpa men used the gyroscope and not the camera, it even has a mode to switch to i forget what its called mode that helps you explain to people you're not a stalker

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

!!! Awesome!!! It will B my 1st dungeon I actually buy because I really love PKMN Black & White!!

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

....so if this game isn't that rumored Pokemon 3D game to be mention at E3 for next year...'Ooooooo!! Then what is the secret pokemon game??? Maybe generation VI stuff!! Oh snap!!! I CANT WAIT FOR Nintendo's E3 2013!!!!! ^__^

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

^I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. People have been predicting 3D Pokemon for years now...

GameGoddess32

GameGoddess32 said:

OMG!!!!Finally a Mystery Dungeon game for the 3DS!!!!I love that series...I'm totally pre-ordering as soon as I can :D
doing a happy dance