First Image of Wii U eShop Surfaces

Posted by Shaan Joshi

Mario and Luigi have never looked better

While Nintendo has been keeping the Wii U's download retail system under wraps, the first picture of the console's eShop has now been released on Nintendo of Japan's website. The lone image shows off the system's interface, which looks similar to the 3DS' online storefront, and Nintendo is also promising similar content with demos, images, and trailers of upcoming games.

Similar to the 3DS eShop's star rating system, you can check how others rated a specific title and you can also check Miiverse comments related to that game. Downloadable content can be purchased in the online store while software is running - unlike the 3DS - so you won't need to shut down your current game session. Simply boot up the eShop and buy to your heart's content.

Although only a small snapshot, what do you think of this interface? Sound off in the comments below!

[via nintendo.co.jp, nintendoworldreport.com]

Kidner

Kidner said:

Can't tell a lot from that, looks simple and easy to navigate though.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Pretty standard looking option boxes. Really not much in the pic to give any feeling. It's certainly not anything flashy that's for sure.

MAB

MAB said:

As long as they keep uploading awesome games to the shop then I don't really care what it looks like ;)

cammy

cammy said:

It's very hard to tell from the sample. Thankfully it isn't the eShop scaled up to HD, that wouldn't work. With a HD screen they should be able to use it in more inventive ways than with the 3DS's smaller screen.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Looks nice though it's very hard to tell from that screenshot how it will all be set out. Is the Mario and Luigi boxes reference to "Mario Games" and "Luigi Games" like they do on the 3DS eShop or or those options to be clicked on to go further? Regardless it's very clean and uncluttered and I'm sure they will put what they have learned on 3DS to make the Wii U eShop an even better product!

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Can't tell much from that shot. I'm pretty damn confident that Nintendo will do a damn fine job with the Wii U's eShop in the end.

WildMan

WildMan said:

Looks decent from what I see, but it's hard to tell from only one screenshot.. :-P

47drift

47drift said:

It sure would be neat if we could scan in credit cards and point cards with NFC.

Grodus

Grodus said:

So, what do Mario and Luigi represent? Or are they just here to hang out?

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

Looks fine so far, I'm sure they'll keep updating, and as usual a clean look.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

looks good. i'm getting on day 1 but can't open it until christmas :( lol it's my christmas present from my hubby.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

The screen is scrollable exactly like a web page in a browser!
If it is anything like the rumours say, it will be like the nintendo official website with club nintendo access, stars catalogye etc. Looks brilliant.

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

I really feel sorry for xbox/playstation owners. They have to put up with paying for access to internet they already pay for.

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

I'd prefer a more professional look, but with a lot of kids as customers they like to keep it simple. Maybe offer a professional menu design and also a simple one? I'd love that, and it's easy to do. Lots of websites do it.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@triforcepower73
That's an overreaching generalization. On the Xbox it's only for certain services not general downloads, and you can do everything on the playstation, Sony just has a membership that pays off if you are a heavy gamer with deals on everything and many perks. Nintendo has a similar strategy to Sony's so far. Miiverse and Nintendo TVii are the most original offerings from Nintendo with distinct differences from the competition.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

If there is a Luigi category it can only mean 2 things. 1. Mario is Missing will finally come to the VC. 2. Luigi's Mansion will too along with other GameCube games. Or am I grasping at straws?

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

Can't tell much, but it looks fine. Now that I think about it, shopping will be better than ever with Mario and Luigi!

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Looks nice. The download while playing you game is nice for the people who download games like Tekken and need to play the Wii U to keep their mind off the download.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Hard to tell from just that snapshot. I hope that it is a little more organized than the 3DS' eShop though, as at times that can be a jumbled mess. It's hard to imagine they can't come up with a better layout for that. If they can't, bring in someone who can please, there are actually a few talented people amongst all the garbage.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Looks awesome. I look forward to seeing how the e-shop transforms on the Wii U

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

I like what I'm hearing so far, but the real test will be a week from Sunday. Personally, I'm optimistic about it.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

The Wii U eShop looks OK to me for an image start with something like the image posted in the article. With the Luigi section they have in there, maybe it's a small sign that Gamecube games will be included for downloads.

Furealz

Furealz said:

I hope it has new MUSIC! Although the 3DS eShop theme would still work :3.

KAHN

KAHN said:

when i look at the picture, it looks more like a picture from the internet rather than on a TV. i hope i'm not the only one.

Doge

Doge said:

doesnt tell much.... cubivoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I wonder what the Mario and Luigi icons represent. I'd assume that they'd represent games but what would Luigi games be?

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

It looks like it will have a clean interface and also, it's not the 3DS e-shop in HD. Hopefully, it will be better than the Wii Shop channel.