New Super Mario Bros. U Trailer Shows Off Co-Op, Controlled by Mario Masters

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The music works on us

New Super Mario Bros. U is potentially the biggest day one Wii U title, though it does have competition and has to fight against Mario fatigue. There seem to be two distinct camps of gamers at the moment: those that can't get too much of Mario's platforming antics, and those that feel they've played quite enough Mario for one year. We suspect that even a lot of those in the latter camp will end up buying it anyway — it's Mario in HD, after all — but Nintendo is still making an effort to give us reasons to put down the cash.

The main tactic is to show some impressive action from the game, with the latest trailer focusing on co-op gameplay; there's some lovely footage below, showcasing attractive visuals, backgrounds and general Mario fun. That said, it'll take practice before your co-op performances match this, as we remember lots of collisions, instances of childish sabotage and characters floating in bubbles when playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii with others.

It looks like a lot of fun, and the jaunty version of the title's theme track has certainly got us in the mood.

[via kotaku.com.au]

TOMBOY25

TOMBOY25 said:

typical nintendo always making too many great games for me to choose from

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

This game looks incredible. Me and my bros. definitely have not had too much Mario and are ready to give this one a go.

Reala

Reala said:

The fact that this seems to be the wii u's premier day 1 title is partly why I'm in no rush to buy the thing.

Real

Real said:

I think that if Nintendo was matching the kind of innovation that they're doing with the Zelda series with their Mario games it'd feel a lot fresher. I love Mario, but playing SMB Wii was at first awesome and then it dawned that it was just more of the same. Good last boss fight, ss different day.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

For me it looks distinct enough to warrant a day 1 purchase. And it looks amazing. And btw NSMB2 is way more addictive than I initially thought! And incl. DLC the fun will last at least a few years.

Dino

Dino said:

There's no such thing as too much mario a new game is always awesome

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Another souless entry to the NSMB series...I just hope to god they end the series here.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Looks like same old boring new super mario stuff to me. This game is just another reason I'm not losing sleep over Wii U's impending launch.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

This is gonna be awesome, love it. My only complaint is gonna be the lack of online multiplayer, it would fit these games great.

Oh, well.. Hours of local multiplayer fun awaits :D

rjejr

rjejr said:

Is it ok to know I'l be playing this and enjoying family time together while not really all that excited or looking forward to it? I guess I'm happy to have something to play with my kids without caring about the actual game. If there's enough multiplayer in Pikmin 3 then I'ld skip this. Pikmin 2 had multiplayer but it was limited and we never really played it all that much.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@19Robb92 Has that been confirmed,no online multiplayer?I know it was confirmed there wouldn't be any in Pikmin 3 because it wasn't appropriate for the gameplay but if this is true what is their excuse for not including here?

Nardar

Nardar said:

Very nice. I just got to get enough money for that, MH3U and a Wii U!

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

Wow. Looks like their will be some tough platforming you have to do in the game. Which is a good thing by the way. :)

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

The truth from Nintendo: Release this to make a little money (I don't mean that the "New" series are bad games, by any means. Quite the contrary, they are quite solid) then create the 3D Mario that the big Nintendo fans desire. The 2D Mario's sell better, their reasoning is understandable. They can use the extra time to fully grasp the Wii U's strengths and whatnots as well. Having said that, I am actually looking forward to this game, I know it will be hours and hours of fun.

Mickey

Mickey said:

NO!!! MY FAMILY'S LIFE WAS STAKED ON NINTENDO NOT RELEASING A NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. GAME ON THE WII U! WHY NINTENDO WHY!!!!!!

Seriously people it's one game per console nobody's forcing you to buy it

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Stupid question for a Nintendo video, but does have any bad language, cause my mom said I shouldn't be hearing that stuff.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I got a hands-on with it last night, I felt the additions of the squirrel suit and the baby Yoshi's felt like both a throw-back and fresh breath of life all at the same time.

Also, even though it's in 720p, I've never seen a Mario game look so.... WOW!

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Heh, nice to see that Nintendo actually took some time to make the co-op onl...

Wait a second.

Emaan

Emaan said:

It looks gorgeous, and not to mention fun. Can't wait to play this day 1. :D

Bane

Bane said:

You guys complain too much I for one am looking forward for this to play some epic multiplayer, sadly only 3 people can play :(

Jewelarchon

Jewelarchon said:

@Brick I believe they stated it was up to 5-player support for this game...one with the gamepad and four with Wiimotes and/or WiiU pro controllers.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Seems like they haven't fixed any of the actual co-op problems that NSMBWii had, like the fact that you can touch either other during jumps, which ends in everyone dying when they try to jump over a gap at the same time. It does seem to provide a little bit of extra space on screen (thanks to higher resolution), but I doubt 3 and 4-player are any less annoying.

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

Hey I'm just glad that they actually decided to show this one some attention. The backgrounds look great and the soundtrack seems really good! Unlike NSMB2, that game was the biggest cash grab I've ever seen by Nintendo. No pun intended. :P

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Looks awesome and different enough from the other NSMBs. This garbage that is looks too similar to the other ones needs to stop.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@Radixxs Truly 1 of the greatest games ever created.Just played through the SNES original after completing the GBA version many years ago and enjoyed even more than I did back then.The game is absolutely huge with so much to find.An HD sequel or even remake would be amazing

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

After seeing what the Wii U gamepad could do, I was sold. That screenshot with the stars looks absolutely gorgeous, too.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Man... if I could just round my boys up to get this played the way its supposed to be...

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I think those who are saying this looks just like the Wii game haven't spent much time with the new game on an HDTV. Seeing low-res screens on your computer monitor aren't going to show off the sharpness and level of detail the actual game will have. I was dubious of the double NSMB this holiday, but the 3DS game is amazingly more addictive and interesting than I expected, so I imagine this will also be a more than worthwhile addition to, you know, my life.

GazPlant

GazPlant said:

For a minute there I was worried it wouldn't have "baa baa" in the song... said no-one :P
Love how the Baby Yellow Yoshi just casually eats the massive fire snake, as if it's just a quick snack

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

for a launch title, I'm not seeing anything that will knock my socks off. There is nothing new besides what you can do with the controller. If you are playing solo, what is different from this Mario game to other 2D outings? Nintendo should have focused more along the lines of Super Mario 3D Land.

Grodus

Grodus said:

This game won't be original, but who said I cared! It looks original, with the baby Yoshis and use of the GamePad, but people will still complain. As this site's review for NSMB2 said, not liking fun games because of originality, or lack thereof, is like attacking painters for making the same style painting.