Mass Effect 3 Set to Launch Alongside Wii U

Posted by Mike Mason

Ready for takeoff

Don't worry about missing out on any backstory if you jump into the Mass Effect series for the first time on Wii U; Mass Effect 3 will include an interactive mode that fills in the most important parts and lets you make key choices to shape your character. That's better than nothing, right?

Speaking at EA's Summer Showcase, BioWare expressed its excitement about working on a Nintendo home console for the first time. Wii U's Mass Effect 3 will include new control options that take advantage of the GamePad, multiplayer and the Extended Cut ending DLC. There's no word on whether it'll also include the just-announced Leviathan downloadable content.

Mass Effect 3 will be a Wii U launch title.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I question this game only for the fact that they didn't specifically mention Wii U having Leviathan.

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

@brandonbwii Yeah. I already have it on my 360 though, so whether or not it has it is fine by me. But the Wii U fortunately has it on 1 disc, not 2 + DLC & patches.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

Always wanted to try a Mass Effect game(even had the original for the 360 but never got round to playing it) so this is really exciting for me and I may get it aswell as ZombiiU!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Well, at least they are making an interactive comic that fills in the events of the story from Mass Effect 1 and 2. Not as good as experiencing the whole games but I guess it is better than nothing. I have them on my Xbox 360 so I'm good.

Splat

Splat said:

I can't not see playing ME3 with out playing the greatness that is ME2 first.

Neram

Neram said:

I'm definitely adding this to my list of games to get launch day. Awesome.

Ren

Ren said:

great that means I have to get through the other two. I tried 3 and didn't like it so someone talked me into trying the first one first. Still not that into it, but I should give it another shot, I guess. It's so popular I thought it would really surprise me, but I guess I'm the only one who is tired of the same ancient sci-fi cliches.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I'm playing the second one on PS3, and I'm not going to lose my transferable file just to play on Wii U so sorry.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Have never played the game and not too excited to play it.
Might get it, but that really depends on if I have money left over after buying all the gamers that are higher in priority for me.
Already paid for Pikmin 3 and New Super Mario Bros. U, next up is ZombiU and Project P-100.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I've been waiting for the GotY edition on PS3, because I don't like DLC, patches or any of the nonsense with the ending alterations. I would be tempted to leave my save file from Mass Effect 2 behind if they make the WiiU version complete, cheap and in some way a little special.

Bliquid

Bliquid said:

I don't get people getting snob around this.Despite many haters (who, you know, are gonna hate...), Mass Effect is a colossal as well as an important milestone in gaming culture/industry.You all should be happy, since this is proof that Nintendo is actually caring again about hardcores.Mass Effect 3 is an excellent game, and should be played before speaking ill of it.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I'll be interested to see how the game sells. Honestly I think if you're going to play Mass Effect you're better off getting it for PC or 360 so you can play through all three games (and all three should be experienced). That said, this is a big deal for Nintendo. Hopefully this means EA will actually be taking Wii U development seriously unlike the 'effort' it put into its Wii games.

erv

erv said:

I might pick it up one day, but probably not at launch - depends on what's on offer. Pikmin gets my money first...

siavm

siavm said:

I played mass effect on ps3. The interactive comic helped bring me in to the story but it still was not the same as having the first game. So if you get this on wii u without have played the other two know you will miss a lot of great things from the other two that will not be in the comics.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

@Bliquid i'm with you. i'm glad it is on the wii U, since i don't own a PS3, Xbox and despite people's views and perceptions about mass effect 3, this is, as you said, the type of game, the wii U needs in terms of third party support especially.

so yes, i'm glad to see EA bring this to the wii U.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Sold. Have yet to play a Mass Effect game and I've been waiting very patiently for one to appear on a Nintendo console. Finally a 3rd party game at launch with some teeth.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Hope this sells well. If not, just another poor excuse 3rd parties will point to. "Mature games don't sell on WiiU!" Yep, when they're a year old port and the 3rd of a trilogy...
Then we end up getting Mass Effect: Evacuation, the light-gun shooter. Can't wait!

WesCash

WesCash said:

Good news, hopefully it will sell well. I won't be jumping on board though since I haven't played either ME1 or ME2.

Ren

Ren said:

I have played it, and I'm on the first one now. It's not any less cheesy than the 3rd one. Maybe I'm just not a teenager anymore, but that tired old "aliens that look like freaky people, and future where everyone is an underwear model but doesn't so much as walk 10 feet, and someone taking over the galaxy for control" just doesn't do it for me anymore.

hydeks

hydeks said:

whats the point in Nintendo fans getting into Mass Effect with the last game in the series? Really stupid...

Batman Arkham City is fine cause it's a batman game, u don't need to play the first to enjoy the second, same with ninja gaiden 3, don't need to play the first two to get into this one, but why release Mass Effect 3, the last game in the series?!? EA is dumb :P

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Well it's good to know they're addressing the fact that Nintendo console owners may not have played the first two games. Makes this one an easy sell for me.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Not interested in this series, what I am looking forward to is NSMBU, Pikmin 3, P-100, and other great first parties :)

Peppy_Hare

Peppy_Hare said:

Hope the framerate beats my PS3 version. Doesn't normally bother me, but boy is that version choppy.