Project Sora Disbanded

Posted by James Newton

Pit stop

Kid Icarus: Uprising developer Project Sora has shut up shop.

The studio's official site shows it closed on 30th June, and the site itself will go at the end of this month.

Before anyone gets too carried away, it's worth remembering that Project Sora was originally established as a subsidiary of Sakurai's own, and decidedly ongoing, Sora Ltd. Sakurai will continue to develop games and will oversee Super Smash Bros. on 3DS and Wii U with Namco Bandai, but the team assembled for Kid Icarus: Uprising has now disbanded.

[via andriasang.com]

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

It isn't no wonder he said he wouldn't make a sequel.
Tis a shame a brilliant developer is no more.

I wish all the staff good luck for the future,and I hope they get a job real soon.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Always sad news. Hope everyone is absorbed into Nintendo's R&D staff.

CommanderAudio

CommanderAudio said:

James leaves, followed by Project Sora disbanding. WHAT THE HECK DID I DO WRONG TO UPSET YOU?????!!!

James

James said:

OK, now that cat's out of the bag I can tell you: I'm going to oversee the next Super Smash Bros. game and actually make it fun. You heard it here first!

(not actually true)

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@James, glad to hear that at least! This is horrible news though!! The best of luck to everyone involved in the team, talented bunch.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

Wikipedia wrote:

On 18 February 2009, following the success of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Nintendo announced the formation of Project Sora, a subsidiary that will develop a new title to be directed by Sakurai.

It was for one project. Everyone working at Project Sora is probably back at Sora Ltd.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Not too much of a tragedy, considering all the developers (I imagine) will still be around.

Sakurai will still be capable of making awesome games!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

@Jumbif: That's right, Project Sora was created just for the development of one game and it branched from the main Sora group. I felt bummed when I first saw the headline, but reading the article itself reminded me that Project Sora was totally dedicated to Kid Icarus Uprising and nothing else. Those developers went back to Sora Ltd. and are still helping with Smash Bros. work. A lot of people can confuse Project Sora with the main Sora company.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I hope we can get Kid Icarus U someday...

@James Are you saying Brawl wasn't fun? If you are, I can't wait for Super Smash Bros. U then! It'll be INCREDIBLE!!!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

"Pit stop"

No joke: I spotted this article's tagline on the front page, laughed, and said to myself, "Oh, maybe I was wrong about Newton's departure meaning the end of great taglines." Then I came here and saw the author. Dang you, Newton!

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@James So is Sonic. The characters, the games, the developer, THE VOICE ACTING, everything. However, Animal Crossing is the best game series ever made so I guess I'll let you off.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Fun little fact Project Sora stood for Project Sky if I remember right from a 2009 Nintendo Power

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I guess this isn't terrible news. But something in the back of my mind keeps nagging me. I know that they say they were not going to make a sequel to Uprising, but now it seems like it will be yet another 25 years until Pit comes back! Well okay not really, but all I'm saying is I hope there is at least another game during the Wii U's lifespan.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

It's neither sad news nor terrible news, it was created for Kid Icarus Uprising and only Kid Icarus Uprising. It closed when they had finished the game, the developers go back to the main company, job done.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

@James You can be a Nintendo fan and not like Smash Bros. It's just not possible, mentally or physically. Do you just not like fighting games in general?

Doge

Doge said:

really...REALLY? ssbb is the best selling fighting game ever! what dont you like about it?

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

For me KI is the most disappointing 3DS game, they did choose the wrong system while it might have been a decent game for the Wii. Anyway I put the blame on Nintendo, not on the devs of the game.

James

James said:

@Hyperstar96 I love fighting games — cut my teeth on Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter Alpha in the 90s, still play VF5 and SF to this day. But Smash Bros. just doesn't cut it for me; too much chaos, not enough refinement. Take away the fan service and nobody would give it the time of day — not the mark of a good game in my eyes.

But hey, I know many, many of you love it, so that's cool. It's just that I don't.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I'd like to think that Sakurai will be coming back in-house to Nintendo/HAL but nothings a given. I'll look at it this way: it's very unfortunately that the freelance project that he created will fold now, but Nintendo would be utterly and completely stupid to let a guy with his resume completely disconnect from the Nintendo ranks. If SSB4 is to be the swansong partnership with Sakurai and Nintendo, then all I can do is wish Sakurai the best as I know he'll be great wherever he goes and advise Nintendo to start mourning their loss.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

guys calm down. Sakurai is probably still working with Nintendo, and so are the rest of the team, they might just all be split up to work on different projects. Like new Wii U stuff. That would be nice.

Henmii

Henmii said:

So this means Sora doesn't exist anymore? Well, that's not so surprising!

I mean: Sora only consisted of 2 people, and since Sakurai almost works fulltime for Nintendo there was not much use in continuing Sora!

Hopefully Sakurai does a great job on the next SSB, and hopefully some other games in the future!