Nintendo Download: 14th June 2012 (Europe)

Posted by James Newton

Sonic, tattoos and a samurai sword

After all the E3 excitement last week it's back down to Earth with a bump this week, with a Game Gear Sonic game and European releases of decent, if long overdue games. Here's what's available this week.

3DS Virtual Console

Sonic Blast (Game Gear, SEGA, £4.50/€5) — Sonic's last adventure on Game Gear (in Japan it was the last commercially released Game Gear game full-stop), its rendered environments didn't look great at the time and probably haven't dated well. We'll have a full review for you soon.

3DS Download Software

Samurai Sword Destiny (UFO Interactive, £5.40/€6) — Sadly not the samurai game we were all hoping for, UFO's eShop adventure is a below-par side-scrolling slasher, as our Samurai Sword Destiny review elaborates.

DSiWare

Art of Ink (Sabarasa, 800pts) — Out in North America for over a year now, we'd hoped Sabarasa's quirky tattooing game would reach Europe with a price drop but alas. The good news is it's actually very good: our Art of Ink review should fill in the gaps for you.

That's the lot for this week, folks. What's coming home with you? Let us know in our Facebook poll.

Related Games

Djrr-ific

Djrr-ific said:

Maybe Sonic blast.. I loved Triple Trouble so if it's decent I'll probably get it..

The others ehm.. meh!
I was hoping Marvel Pinball would come out this week, because there was a trailer for it in the e-shop.. oh well..

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

Where is the other Samurai game that NA has had for so long? Not fair.

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

Gonna check out Art of Ink, but otherwise nothing. Good to see SEGA keeping up with the GG releases, although I hear all the sonic games aren't very good, so let's hope something cool like Defenders of Oasis pops up quickly.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

It looks as though I'll potentially be getting Sonic Blast from this limited Nintendo Download. The rest of the titles are meh.

Now, bring on Sonic Drift 2 and Tails Adventure! :D

I can't believe I still want to get Sonic Labyrinth...I'm a worse monster than Werehog! :O

CrispyGoomba

CrispyGoomba said:

Ha! Someone here at this site said to mark their words that Sonic Blast would be the next GameGear game.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Sword of Hope 2 next week I hope.
Of course there are plent of other things I'd like to see - but that one sounds reasonable and I'd still love to buy it. :3

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Its weird that SEGA skipped both Sonic 1 and 2 on the Game Gear, I hope they release them at some point as I still think the first game is the best. Hopefully, we still might see the PC Engine on 3DS VC too.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Perhaps they're saving the known better games until later. Who in their right mind would buy Sonic Labyrinth if Sonic 1 & 2 were already available?

Sword of Hope 2 next week I hope.

We're likely to get the first one first.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

@ Monsti - Me too. It was cruel to put Samurai in the title knowing full well that people would associate it with Sakura Samurai only to be dissappointed. Shame on you.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Any news about La-Mulana?

It's the second week with nothing for Wii. It's this time again....
No demos, no Mulana, no Last Blade, no Retro City, no Snowpack Park, no Horizon Riders, no Earthbound.
It's getting a bit boring for those without a 3DS.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

why is that week after week nintendo are so reluctant to release the games people want.
no wonder smaller devs keep complaining about losing money, especialy when nintendo won`t even release the games they make.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Sonic Blast is a horrible, horrible game.

Looks like my wallet is spared this week.

japzone

japzone said:

I tried Sonic Blast and was unimpressed. It's slow. It's like they took the original Sonic and then dug a hole in the chart so they could go down instead of up.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@Fabian Sonic games sell because of the name. Once all the Game Gear Sonic games are released, they'll have to release other games. Its understandable why they would want to do Sonic first. I just hope those who do buy them aren't too disappointed that they won't buy the actual good games.

jarreboum

jarreboum said:

"in Japan it was the last commercially released Game Gear game full-stop." We can then say that it went out... with a blast!

Folkloner

Folkloner said:

I have £10.00 sitting on my eShop account, ready for Sakura Samurai!

WHY WON'T YOU LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY NINTENDO!

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I though you guys were gonna get Sakura Samurai,but you get a crap game from ufo,also your now 2 game gear games ahead of us

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

In Japan Sonic Blast is called G sonic. What would it stand for?

Good Sonic?
Great Sonic?
God-Awful Sonic?

Either way, if Sonic Blast hits NA this week, I'm getting it. I love the final boss song more than any other final boss song in the Game Gear series.

Next week you may get Mutant Mudds, which is very cool. Be prepared.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@P184 Its never a good idea to put money onto your account in the hopes of a specific game to be released. Sometimes it takes a long time, or doesn't come at all.

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

Man, australia misses out on both art of ink and samurai sword destiny (T.T)

Good news is that mutant mudds is definitely confirmed for next week! Bad news is that it's $13.50 (T.T)

This entire update has been (T.T) for me