Pokémon Black and White 2 Box Art Revealed

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Let battle commence

It's safe to say that the announcement of Pokémon Black and White 2 caused a stir in late February, with many fans of the series having strong opinions on a direct sequel being released on DS. Now that the dust has settled and the reality of these new titles has sunk in, it's time to take a look at the recently released Japanese box art.

Both the Black Version 2 and White Version 2 art are in the image — click on it to expand — and at this stage there's no telling whether the Western box art will follow the same design. Even for those who aren't experts in the series — who won't dissect details such as the elements in the background of each cover — these boxes are rather cool.

With both versions due for release later this year, we can expect more art, trailers and reveals in the coming months.

[via andriasang.com]

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

Looking good... If I were to choose one of the new games I'd get Black 2; it'd go nicely with my copy of White (even though both have the same "type" of legendary).

And before anyone starts bringing up B&W on the 3DS, just remember; if they were to bring it to the 3DS, we'd have to wait another 1-2 years for a new engine, only to find a DS remake, one limited by the DS's technology. Then we'll have to wait yet another year or two for a new Pokemon game. The engine's development might also be constrained by B&W, and we'll end up with pretty much a DS engine with updated graphics.

I am hoping for Streetpass though; passing by others would make the Pokemon visible in the Pokedex (so you can trade the Pokemon online, a problem with the current titles), and once you get home you can trade with that person online or perhaps make a new offer.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

So, will this finally stop the "it's a ruby and sapphire in the logo" speculation?

Rensch

Rensch said:

Still not sure what to expect from this game. Give us some info, Game Freak!

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

"Yay, i finally found Solatorobo!" /me runs towards box "Oh crud, it's only Pokémon White 2." :o

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

I actually think it's best to let Generation V run its course on the DS so that the sixth generation can start fresh on the 3DS. Will definitely be picking up a copy of one of them.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

It's coming in less than 3 months in Japan. No trailer or other valuable information yet?

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

@Jack They're gonna make a 3DS Pokemon series game later. They only are releasing this as at the moment the 3DS Pokemon main games come after a new generation like Crystal people thought would be on GBA.

Nintendi

Nintendi said:

This should be 99 cents...lol. Relax I was just joking this time. I can't wait to get a preview of this game. I had PKMN BLK the first time, now it's Whites turn.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

It seems this time the white Pokemon is on the White cover and vice versa. Unlike B&W version 1, where Reshiram was in Pokemon Black and Zekrom in Pokemon White. What was up with that?

CosmoXY

CosmoXY said:

@MetalDragonZero Possibly so that players of White, for example, can pick up White 2 and be able to get the version exclusives that were not in White 1? Just a thought.

Looking forward to this, always enjoy a new pokémon game.

TheRegginator

TheRegginator said:

Those look cool. Too bad I'm not going to let Nintendo rip me off by buying both Black or White and Black 2 or White 2.

Squid

Squid said:

Looks cool. I still wanna know more about the game itself, but I guess it's nice to know that it might have pretty box art.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Today I was thinking that instead of having one Pokémon Gray, we will end up having two of them. Still need more info though. And will probably go with the version that allows me to fill my Pokédex the most.

I agree in that it is actually better to have this on DS. Hopefully they will be able to take advantage of the hardware and do something both new and impressive.

MikeDanger

MikeDanger said:

movie sequels & some game sequels tend to be better than the original. so here's hoping pokemon white 2 gets this treatment.

SunnySnivy

SunnySnivy said:

Looks awesome.
White Kyurem looks really good, I think I'll be getting white first. (:

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

@Nintendo Unfortunetaly that might be a no, there are 4 main Pokemon games now so if they were to remake R/S/E they could make Emerald to make it 5 as for years they have released 5. But who knows your point is valid as Gamefreak can surprise us and break the 5 main games chain.

ElsaGamer

ElsaGamer said:

@MetalDragonZero Yes, I had noticed that too, and made a speculative analysis a few weeks ago on what we're likely to see in these sequels. In Black and White after the final Elite Four battle, N had thanked you for helping him realize his mistakes about Pokemon-human relationships, and then flies away on the Dragon Pokemon opposite of yours (so...Reshiram for White version and Zekrom for Black version).
 If the story lines from the first games do in fact continue, this leaves that dragon Pokemon "uncaught" and so, it makes sense that they now 'switched' the mascots.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Im actually a little concerned about the possible R/S/E remakes. If they are going to release it it might be on the 3ds, unless they make it compatible with the DS versions.
I actually have no concrete sources, but I think the remakes might get released on the DS. I mean, black & white has all the berries coded and some items that appear on previous generations in the game (accesible via AR), but you cant get them all in the current versions, given how pokemon cant hold items when being transferred to B&W. They couldn't simply left them there with no possible chance to getting them (unless they leave it like that, like the arceus in D/P/Pt, which cant be accessed unless by an event, which hasn't been released) However, this could be fixed if the new B&W games have all the stuff which you need previous games to get them, or if they release a remake of R/S/E.