Tiger Woods, Your Time on Wii is Over

Posted by James Newton

Wii can't play PGA Tour 13

After several excellent outings on Wii, EA Sports has confirmed upcoming Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 won't release on Nintendo's current home console.

While Xbox 360 owners can play Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 on Kinect, and PlayStation Move fans have been enjoying motion controls since 2010, Wii is being passed over for this year's instalment. Here's what EA Sports communication manager Katherine Coulthart told Nintendo-Okie:

There is no Wii version planned for Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 or Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13: The Masters Collector’s Edition. We decided to focus on the HD platforms and take advantage of the robust online communities of Xbox and Sony PS3 given the new online and social features in this year’s game. There have been significant strides in motion gaming through the release of Kinect and PlayStation Move and we believe fans will enjoy the true-to-life golf swing created by these peripherals.

How about Wii U, though?

We do not have any information to release at this time regarding the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR franchise and Wii U.

That's that, then.

[via nintendo-okie.com]

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

Oh wow. Tiger woods seems pretty much the same each year anyway and I remember that after Tiger Woods did fantastic when they released it on the wii and then once again when they did it with motion plus then it bombed the year after EA started moaning about wii owners. Surely the responsabilty was to the developer to not just add another year on the package and expect owners to go out there and spend their hard earned cash, no instead to them it was the fault of the wii owners for being clever enough to think,, this is pretty much the same as last years and not buy it.
So nah, EA if your too lazy to make anything fresh for the wii I cant be bothered to buy your recycled cr@p anyway.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

These EA games are just so dang boring. It's like they've spent a lifetime sucking out any remaining fun in the respective sports.

I did enjoy the first Tiger Woods that supported the Motion Plus, but only briefly before the overall dullness set in. It feels like something built for the days of PC gaming, not streamlined for a console. The controls were nice, I suppose, but it ends there. I'm also a big football fan, and love plays and strategy, yet find Madden to be the most mind-numbing way to kill the fun of that sport as well.

Can we please get another company to tackle the big sports? The minigames in Wii Sports / Resort ended up being far more fun than any of the full sports games I've tried. That says something.

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

wow... oh well, i guess it really doesnt matter unless your a hard core golf fan.

EA only made good golf games for wii and that was it. i only played it once, its alright but im not into golf
EA rips people off anyways because it always seemed like the only thing they ever did for madden games on wii was change rosters and left everything the same as the years before (except for 2010) and there graphics were horrible for the madden games before the graphic change in 2010
they never made certain games on wii or only one version, like NCAA football 2009, NBA Live 2009, NHL slapshot. they never even made a NCAA basketball game or MLB games for the wii. all there sports games were kinda disapointing and start to collect dust after a month or two...
the only good sports game that they made for wii was NHL Slapshot.
other than that game, I never buy EA's games new....

koops330

koops330 said:

Good thing I don't play sports games other then madden but thats bs for anyone that does play the golf games on the wii

Mok

Mok said:

It's a shame but expected. Tiger Woods is an a**hole and it's only natural the game reflects that fact.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

It's clear it's coming to Wii U.
Since EA's partnership with Nintendo to work on the Wii U's online structure, and the demonstration of golf on the Wii U this is pretty obvious. Game development for Wii U everywhere. But it's a secret. ;)

theJOE

theJOE said:

we don't need you tiger woods we have wii sports were we can use tiger woods miis

RonF

RonF said:

So they will not rebrand last year Tiger as a new one. Nothing was really lost here.

stromboli

stromboli said:

The next generation of golf games was pretty much confirmed at E3 last year, using the Wii U's camera and sensors, so Nintendo has that covered.

By the way, I don't think there's any news here. All the franchises are expected to move to the the next generation of Nintendo's consoles... and to get more franchises too.

bauckster

bauckster said:

That picture is classic. Maybe they need to release the "Tiger Woods Golf story" game, culminating with an emotional breakdown in the field. : Seriously, why are they still making games attached to this guy's name? Blech.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I only like golf in real life if there are windmills and castles involved and only in video games if Mario and his friends are playing it.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

Best sports game ever, in my view. It's a shame that it won't be available this year, but I understand that EA can't support a console that Nintendo won't.

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

I never really cared too much for Tiger Woods once motion controls got involved, so I won't really miss this.

LMAO

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

EA said: "There have been significant strides in motion gaming through the release of Kinect and PlayStation Move and we believe fans will enjoy the true-to-life golf swing created by these peripherals."

Don't give me that. If you go on the TW forums the hardcore users will tell you that Motion-Plus provides the most realistic simulation and that the Move's putting mechanic is badly out of whack. But I still respect EA's decision.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Can't quote this enough. Flamebait!
I'm really surprised EA has PR person sending out flamebait. It's a bad precedent that only leaves you to wonder if you should be supporting EA at all. On any platform.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Yeah I was really excited for the first two years but my excitement died off after that. Been there done that and got it out of my system. Real life golf swing is where its at though. Next step like e3 showed will be the ball on the tablet. So we will actually have something to aim at this time!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Well, there should be a PGA game on the WiiU. But i'm more looking forward to an online-heavy Mario Golf (or Mario Golf-esque) game. With RPG parts or a gear-system like in Mario Kart 7 this sounds like a dream come true. (Same goes for Mario Tennis on the 3DS.)

Knux

Knux said:

Who would want to play a Tiger Woods game on such an awful console in the first place? :O

TikiTong

TikiTong said:

Is this dude saying Kinect's and Moves motion controls are better??? I do like all three motion gaming - thingys, but I personally think Wii is the best in that category. Nintendo better step up their online for the Wii U ,as well as frame -pixel whatever size if they dont wanna be neglected by third party publishers.

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

@ Who would want to play a Tiger Woods game on such an awful console in the first place?

People who care more about the way a game plays than the way it looks.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Good keep those Tiger Wood rehash away from the Wii, We Love Golf! is still the better golf game anyways.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Would it really sell more on the Move and the Kinect than the Wii? Didn't the last one use motion plus as well? In a game like Tennis and Golf wiimotionplus would trump the kinect I imagine (?). Good to have something tactile for those type of games plus the actual control response.

JaxxRaxor

JaxxRaxor said:

With the Wii U likely coming out late this year, the chances are pretty high that Tiger Woods 13 will come out for that system. At the very least, if it doesn't come to a Nintendo system this year, then next years game definitely will. I believe that nearly all "hardcore" games by 3rd parties for Nintendo will gravitate towards the Wii U in terms of development this year.

collect530

collect530 said:

Oh dear! Being pushed aside by the competitors, just got Tiger Woods 12 after many years not playing!! Wii Motion Plus and Balance Board a great combo!

UncleChuckie

UncleChuckie said:

I know that Wii is mostly for families, but I bought mine, a few years ago, so I could play courses that I will never be able to play. I wish that someone would just come up with a game that is more mature and has almost all the courses that the pros play. I don't care about how many ways I can make my characters face appear and I don't care about running around playing in a bunny suit. And I certainly don't need to spend 2 or 3 years doing "tournament play" just to try to improve my golfers performance!