Super Mario 3D Land Beats All in 2011 3DS Chart

Posted by James Newton

Goal Pole goes gold

Super Mario 3D Land was the biggest-selling 3DS game of 2011 in the UK, according to the Association for UK Interactive Entertainment (UKIE).

In second place was Mario Kart 7, with both Mario titles outselling Grezzo's N64 remaster The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D.

Here's the full top five, followed by the DS top five, in which Professor Layton and Pokémon outsold everything to nobody's surprise.

2011 Nintendo 3DS Chart

1. Super Mario 3D Land
2. Mario Kart 7
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time 3D
4. Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever
5. Rayman 3D

2011 Nintendo DS Chart

1. Professor Layton And The Spectre’s Call
2. Pokémon White Version
3. Pokémon Black Version
4. Art Academy
5. Moshi Monsters: Moshling Zoo

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

No surprise there, considering that SM3DL (and MK7) where the first major first party titles for the system.

MF_MaxiMillion

MF_MaxiMillion said:

...
4. Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever
5. Rayman 3D

Really? And Super Mario 3D Land on 1st? Dude. I thought that was pretty crap. I've played better Mario games the past 5 years. I'm kind of through to go and save Princess Peach again, or atleast not to be amazed by the game anymore.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

They really should count both Pokemon version as one game. Red isn't better than Blue and vice versa.

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land are just awesome games! I've beaten SML3DL somewhat easily (dying a looooOOooot in the last levels) and enjoyed it so much, but with the Special Crown hidden level beatten it's all over now...
With Mario Kart 7 I'm still quitttttteee faaaaarr from beating it to 100% I've got everything except the golden glider and the golden kart body =P

In other words: AWESOME GAMES I CAN UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY THEY ARE THE TOP OF TOPS =D

TikiTong

TikiTong said:

Hmm. Personally I prefer the French Bulldog Edition but congrats to Nintendogs!!!!

Dynetheous

Dynetheous said:

@yellowgerbil your avatar really scared me! :P that was my old avatar and i was like "i dont remember commenting on this.." lol then i read you username, xD

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

If you like racing games/playing online, you're going to say Mario Kart 7 is better; if you like platformers and playing solo, you're gonna say SM3DL is better. They're both great games, it just depends on what you're into. Personally I LOVE 3DL and am on my... 4th(?) playthrough. It's the most addictive, fun to pick up Mario platformer of all time for me.

BleachFan

BleachFan said:

Good for Art Acadamy making the top 5! :)

I enjoyed the DSiWare version quite a bit...

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Surprising not to see Pilotwings Resort or Street Fighter IV on the fifth place. While Rayman 3D is a very good 3D platformer and has aged somewhat decently it's a bit sad to see Ubisoft didn't give the remake as much love as OoT got.
The really sad thing is to see Moshi Monsters instead of Ghost Trick or Solatorobo in the DS charts though.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

I like how every DS game except the ones I bought are the top selling ones.

Wait, I actually don't like that at all. BUY GHOST TRICK > : (

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Personally I prefer 3D Land to MK7 and I got both games. After doing two amazing Mario games on Wii, EAD Tokyo showed they know how to handle the plumber. Grumblebuzzz has a really good point, as Mario is mostly the only thing both games share.

And of course White sold better: the White Forest promised a lot more Pokemon than the Black City.

AutumnShantel

AutumnShantel said:

I didn't get 3D Land yet, but my little bro got me Mario Kart 7 and I'm loving it! I'm surprised to see Nintendogs up there, let alone the same version I have. I feel like a dork because I don't here any praise about Nintendogs on this site, yet it's my most played title for the 3DS so far... I love it. haha

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

3D Land was an amazing experience. Rayman 3D!!!! I'm gonna buy that later on... Love rayman.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

The Wii top 5 was absolutely disgusting but the 3DS list for the most part makes me happy. The top 3 games are exactly as they should be. At least people who are buying it are buying actual good games for the system. Hopefully the North American list is similar.

gusmento01

gusmento01 said:

My favorite 3DS game was Rayman 3D, love that game, I still have the Dreamcast version which is pretty much the same.

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

I love SM3DL and MK7, but I prefer Mario Kart 7, don't get me wrong I like both games a lot, but MK7 has a better online system than the DS version and the graphics are outstanding. I just wish that developers shouldn't leave the extra junk files in the game. For example, MSM (Mario Sports Mix) had three different Behemoths, two used and one unused. That way they'd have more space to work with in games.

Thwiidscube

Thwiidscube said:

@MaxiMillionG You've got to be kidding me... SM3DL is awesome! :D I mean, the Tanooki Suit is back, there's a Boomerang Suit, the 3D is great... I can't believe you're saying it's horrible....

azure2s

azure2s said:

Super Mario 3D Land is a great game. Like what Nintendo did with The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass in showcasing the wonders of the Nintendo DS touch screen, Super Mario 3D Land has shown the wonders of 3D in gaming in a way that's never been done before.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Super Mario 3D land was great. I think the Galaxy titles would have been much more fun if it followed SM3DL's gameplay. This clearly played like SMB 3, only in another angle.

famestephy09

famestephy09 said:

I love this game, best part is once you think you beat it you have special worldsto be unlocked. plus you can play with Luigi. Any Mario game im a fan of.

LordTendoboy

LordTendoboy said:

This is why 3rd-party publishers say they can't compete with Nintendo.

They're referring to sales, not quality.