Japan's eShop Gets Its First Demos

Posted by James Newton

Try before you buy

The 3DS system update paves the way for paid add-on content and free demos to reach the eShop, but while Europe and North America has to wait a little while for demos Japan's store has a few to choose from.

Owners of Japanese consoles can choose free trials of the following games:

Some of these demos are only available for a limited number of plays: Monster Hunter and Dead or Alive have a 30-play limit, for instance.

Here's hoping we get some free demo content in the West soon.

[via andriasang.com]

NintenHero

NintenHero said:

Wow, cool. I'm really looking forward to seeing some demos, I wanna play the Dead or Alive demo :3

SLiM

SLiM said:

Looking forward to playing some demos in the near future. Hope to see lots of demos appear on the Wii U as well.

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

I'm curious about the size of these demos — I'm thinking I'll have to upgrade past that bundled 2GB SD card soon.

ImDiggerDan

ImDiggerDan said:

Is there only ever going to be 3DS demos, or is there a possibility of DSiWare demos?

Late

Late said:

6 demos at once? Great start for 3DS demos! Now just have to wait till they come here also.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Lucky D:
It is unfortunate that the demo's are limited, but if after 30 plays you arent buying it then it's fulfilled its purpose. Otherwise you would be able to just get free bits of good games to download and keep and play whenever you want.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

I could so play the MH demo more than 30 times... I know I did the same with MHFU before I bought it D:

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I wonder how the whole "download in Sleep Mode" thing works that was mentioned in Nintendo Power?

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Man if only they still have the Mega Man Legends 3 Demo that would been cool. Sad that the game was cancelled.

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

"limited number of plays? are they crazy? they´re only demos!"

Exactly, they're only demos. I haven't played a single demo ever that warranted playing /30/ times but not enough to purchase the game!

If you've hit that limit you should really just go buy the darn thing.

Linky_97

Linky_97 said:

Give us Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Dead or Alive: Dimension, Starfox 64 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Animal Crossing, Resident evil: The Mercenaries and Resident evil: Revelations Demos!!! PLZZZ!!!!

Bucho

Bucho said:

i'd be so thrilled to even be able to download a MH3G demo... i'm getting a $99 Wii for xmas just to play Zelda, MHtri and Xenoblade, but i'd still buy MH3G on launch if it sees a NA release

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

With the exception of Shin Chan, that's a good list if demoes right there. I hope we get a list just as good.

Majoras_Wrath

Majoras_Wrath said:

While demos of games such as Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Shinobi would be much appreciated, I don't like the 30 play limit. Hopefully they'll remove it for the US release. As much as I want that to happen, I sadly doubt it will.

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

Ive heard the Monster Hunter demo is also 20 mins long, so 30 plays at 20 mins is a stonking 10 hours of FREE Monster Hunting action. Seriously, if you have spent 10 hours with a demo of a game then you are probably going to buy it.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Does the 3DS play the DS demos from the Wii? I assumed it did as the system seems like a DS w/ many improvements but since everybody is making such a big deal out of demos maybe not?

Joco84

Joco84 said:

In all honesty, I think 30 plays is too generous on Nintendo's part. Should limit it to 10 plays, encouraging people to actually buy the game rather than rinse the demo.
If someone doesn't like a game enough after 10 plays to actually buy the game, chances are that they're not ever going to.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

What's the size of the Download? If I have to buy a new SD card for every demo then I'd just buy the game.